TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
This might be covered elsewhere, but I thought I might as well ask:

If none of my vac scheme applications pan out, is it even worth applying to direct training contracts? I've had solid summer work experience doing legal aid, but I get the feeling that that alone won't convince recruiters I'm serious about a career in commercial law. Sigh.

It's brutal out here.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
As someone who got Covid pre-vaccinations and now having to go through a very drawn out process for long covid assessments over a year later, l completely agree with this. If you can get your vaccines and you want to get them, don’t wait about IMO!
Sorry to read you are going through this - I’ve been struggling with long covid since summer 2020 and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Hope you are seeing progress with your recovery.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
This might be covered elsewhere, but I thought I might as well ask:

If none of my vac scheme applications pan out, is it even worth applying to direct training contracts? I've had solid summer work experience doing legal aid, but I get the feeling that that alone won't convince recruiters I'm serious about a career in commercial law. Sigh.

It's brutal out here.
For what it's worth I'll still be doing direct TCs. Best to be a bit strategic on this front as with some firms the odds for direct TC are vanishingly slim and imo the best thing about flunking out of the VS cycle is being able to enjoy evenings and weekends unbothered by the Damocles' Sword of rejection. Top priority for me will be firms whose vacs aren't open to grads - Freshies, SullCrom - and who don't actually have vac schemes - Fried Frank, Paul Hastings - + some with hefty enough intakes that direct recruitment is nontrivial (W&C, Bakers (I think), Ashurst (again, I think)).

At a certain point my strategy is to basically take rolling firms with cover letters that binned me this year and just prep them for next cycle so I can fire off like six apps day 1, but that's kind of a side project until July when directs are all wrapped up.

Strongly recommend aggressively tapping the market for paralegal work if you can, there's loads on right now - mostly in-house but much of that with highly credible financial services firms (if that's your bag), which experience might be a gamechanger next cycle

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
When is a good time to start applying to paralegal roles? When they're posted aren't they for immediate start? I finish my degree in June so when would be a good time to apply? Also do you know if firms sponsor visas for paralegals?
In general yes they are looking for immediate starts or asap but legal recruitment isn’t fast - it’s usually several rounds of interviews and then background checks etc so start date is usually quickest 4-6 weeks after the offer is made. Interviews will again take 4-6 weeks. And you often don’t hear back from the application for around 4 weeks. So that’s 3-4 months right there. Can be quicker via recruiters.

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Can one be a paralegal or legal assistant as a non-law without having done the GDL or LPC/SQE? I am just prepping for when I fail and get rejected post- AC 🥲

In general yes they are looking for immediate starts or asap but legal recruitment isn’t fast - it’s usually several rounds of interviews and then background checks etc so start date is usually quickest 4-6 weeks after the offer is made. Interviews will again take 4-6 weeks. And you often don’t hear back from the application for around 4 weeks. So that’s 3-4 months right there. Can be quicker via recruiters.
    What do you mean by recruiters? if possible, could you recommend ones?

Last edited:

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    When is a good time to start applying to paralegal roles? When they're posted aren't they for immediate start? I finish my degree in June so when would be a good time to apply? Also do you know if firms sponsor visas for paralegals?
    Highly variable, but would agree with the above that it can take potentially a few months - really depends though.

Annoyingly, the 'target' start will often be unreasonably ambitious compared with how long the bureaucratic process takes - I've been in a few processes since late Dec/early Jan with a clear target start date of next week but realistically expect to spend much of Feb playing Skyrim and living like a goblin.

Start reaching out to recruiters in April - they will probably say they don't have anything starting as far out as June but at least you'll be in their radar - and get increasingly proactive through May.

Also, communicate with coursemates about your (and their) plans and interests, a lot of in-house work flows through informal referrals - I got my first paralegal gig because a friend of mine thought of me immediately as 'the contracts guy' when her company was hiring someone to do contracts work.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    8-12 weeks before you are available to start a role.

There is no point applying now as the firm/employer will be looking for someone fairly immediately, and will be able to see you are in studies until the summer (and so is likely to be a straight rejection).

Visa sponsorship for paralegal roles is far less likely than TCs as many of them won't meet the points-based system to obtain one. Unless there is a specific requirement like fluency in a language, the firm is also unlikely to sponsor a visa due to costs and where the role can easily be filled by the domestic market. There will be some exceptions, but overall, sponsorship is unlikely. If you are studying at a UK university, I would apply for the graduate visa of your own accord so you have the right to work in the UK for the next two years.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Can one do be a paralegal or legal assistant as a non-law without having done the GDL or LPC/SQE? I am just prepping for when I fail and get rejected post- AC 🥲

You can do, yeah, but options will usually be more limited especially in London - be prepared for mediocre pay while building experience. I do know someone who got in with a regional firm up north before doing any legal ed.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    How did everyone find the Skadden final interview? For me it was one-sided and based on questions they had to ask (ie pre-written I think - they moved onto the next question as soon as I finished the last). Ended about 8ish minutes beforehand to leave time for questions. It reminded me a lot about what people were saying here for V&E's vac scheme interview last year (ie one-sided, used a list of questions etc).

Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    How did everyone find the Skadden final interview? For me it was one-sided and based on questions they had to ask (ie pre-written I think - they moved onto the next question as soon as I finished the last). Ended about 8ish minutes beforehand to leave time for questions. It reminded me a lot about what people were saying here for V&E's vac scheme interview last year (ie one-sided, used a list of questions etc).

Did anyone else have a similar experience?
    I've haven't done an interview at Skadden but having a pre-written set of questions is fairly common and probably fairer all round. It means that the recruitment process is somewhat standardised and everyone has an equal opportunity to demonstrate their skills & suitability in a way that is comparable.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I've haven't done an interview at Skadden but having a pre-written set of questions is fairly common and probably fairer all round. It means that the recruitment process is somewhat standardised and everyone has an equal opportunity to demonstrate their skills & suitability in a way that is comparable.
    Yeah, agreed! It can defo make it harder to gauge whether you've done well or not, but I think it does wonders for ensuring fairness and equal standards of assessments.

Thank you for your insight, it's appreciated.

Reactions: Kubed

RachelLouise22

Distinguished Member
    Jan 30, 2021
    For my paralegal role the interviews round took 1 month between first interview and offer, they wanted me to start in 3 weeks from the offer so I’d start looking in April

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can one be a paralegal or legal assistant as a non-law without having done the GDL or LPC/SQE? I am just prepping for when I fail and get rejected post- AC 🥲

You can, especially if you can leverage other skills or knowledge that will be particularly useful to that paralegal role (e.g fluency in another language, knowledge of a particular sector/industry/practice area). However, many firms will have a preference for the GDL and/or the LPC/SQE, so you are likely to find it trickier than someone who has obtained those qualifications.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.