TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Quick question:

If firms select their questions from a list or they know the scope of questions they can ask during interview, do you think that they would throw law-based question at a non-law student? I think if I was asked to describe the merger & acquisition process (for example) I would simply, ✨die✨.

I know brushing up on some very basic legal jargon and commercial awareness is a smart thing to do, however in terms of asking specifics - would they do this or would they appreciate that the workings of the legal world (to a non-law student) are somewhat, a mystery?

@Jessica Booker any insights here would be much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Quick question:

If firms select their questions from a list or they know the scope of questions they can ask during interview, do you think that they would throw law-based question at a non-law student? I think if I was asked to describe the merger & acquisition process (for example) I would simply, ✨die✨.

I know brushing up on some very basic legal jargon and commercial awareness is a smart thing to do, however in terms of asking specifics - would they do this or would they appreciate that the workings of the legal world (to a non-law student) are somewhat, a mystery?

@Jessica Booker any insights here would be much appreciated!
    I'd be surprised if you were asked the legal technicalities. I suspect it will be more "common sense" analysis needed - e.g what does a lawyer have to consider when their client is going through a merger (remember that mergers and acquisitions are two different processes and therefore will have slightly different considerations).

I would expect this to be the same for a law student though. It is much more the commercial implications/considerations rather than the technical mechanisms you will need to be able to discuss.

• Love
    Reactions: A.Diane01

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Hi @PF'noooo! I have made some general comments on written exercises and case studies here. I was successful in Willkie's written exercise last year and I recall that it did not involve legal or commercial knowledge, but that knowing some commercial terms was helpful. I do not know if this is still the case this year, but otherwise I would say that it was a fairly generic written exercise and that my linked post should cover many of the points :) In my opinion, the main thing is always to make sure that you have a clear structure and that you answer all the questions they ask you. Good luck!
    Thank you James!

ofm

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 14, 2021
    Does anyone have any tips for the Mayer Brown Job Simulation please e.g. preparation/info about how the different parts are weighted/how many video qs they have? Would be deeply appreciated! Thank you!

Nemo11

Dec 15, 2021
    Same! They don't mention anything about an interview, and the slot is only 2 and a half hours so I don't think there can be one. But on their website they say that they have a full assessment centre as the final stage with interview and all? extremely confused lol I've emailed grad recruitment
    Did you get a response from grad recruitment about what the assessment center will entail?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.