TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erwin Attle

Standard Member
Dec 19, 2021
Proud to have been on Reed Smith's PFO waitlist for 2 weeks now.
Graduate Recruitment knows how to fuel false hope and crush you down just when you thought there was a chance. First time feeling actually mad after a rejection and they can't even give us feedback.
I think firms should be obliged to give some form of feedback, at least when they have a million stages till getting a place. They certainly must be following some form of formal guidlines and tick certain boxes or else how would they be objectively assesing a 'record number' of applications? It makes me wonder if things like video interviews are really assessed on some 'magic' or an 'x-factor' which can't possibly be justified or explained on paper. Sadly, I've seen people receive this vague, 'you weren't as energetic' type of feedback (and I got a couple myself). Now after my 2nd application cycle, i am starting to get suspicious of many firms' recruitment practices. I feel like I'd rather play EuroMillions, where at least I know the odds are certain and my chances fair, instead of working hours on end to get empty PFOs.

TLDR: I rant about a Reed Smith PFO and other rejections with no feedback

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Proud to have been on Reed Smith's PFO waitlist for 2 weeks now.
Graduate Recruitment knows how to fuel false hope and crush you down just when you thought there was a chance. First time feeling actually mad after a rejection and they can't even give us feedback.
I think firms should be obliged to give some form of feedback, at least when they have a million stages till getting a place. They certainly must be following some form of formal guidlines and tick certain boxes or else how would they be objectively assesing a 'record number' of applications? It makes me wonder if things like video interviews are really assessed on some 'magic' or an 'x-factor' which can't possibly be justified or explained on paper. Sadly, I've seen people receive this vague, 'you weren't as energetic' type of feedback (and I got a couple myself). Now after my 2nd application cycle, i am starting to get suspicious of many firms' recruitment practices. I feel like I'd rather play EuroMillions, where at least I know the odds are certain and my chances fair, instead of working hours on end to get empty PFOs.

TLDR: I rant about a Reed Smith PFO and other rejections with no feedback
I honestly feel that Reed Smith should've invited fewer people to VI and chosen to give feedback to those that didn't make it past VI, instead of what they've done here, given their "record number of applications". Probably gives them more time to review each VI, and at least helps candidates who've come this far but don't get past the VI stage.

I also think that not having any open-ended questions in the application form (which is a staple for almost all other firms except a handful) makes it such that they are forced to invite more and more candidates to VI, to get a first hand insight into what the applicant is really like. Honestly, some of the VI questions could've just been a part of the application form (tell me about a time when, why Reed Smith . . . etc.).

Frankly speaking, this trend of "a record number of applications" is going to continue with every cycle - so hopefully they change their process for next year.

I only say this because last year, I was able to get feedback (although slightly vague) following my PFO post-research questions (which was the last stage before an AC).

Last edited:

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 15, 2021
Hi, has anyone got any insight into this question - 'if you couldn't work in law, what would you do and why?'. Do you think it's better to go with something similar to law or completely different?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I honestly feel that Reed Smith should've invited fewer people to VI and chosen to give feedback to those that didn't make it past VI, instead of what they've done here, given their "record number of applications". Probably gives them more time to review each VI, and at least helps candidates who've come this far but don't get past the VI stage.

I also think that not having any open-ended questions in the application form (which is a staple for almost all other firms except a handful) makes it such that they are forced to invite more and more candidates to VI, to get a first hand insight into what the applicant is really like. Honestly, some of the VI questions could've just been a part of the application form (tell me about a time when, why Reed Smith . . . etc.).

Frankly speaking, this trend of "a record number of applications" is going to continue with every cycle - so hopefully they change their process for next year.

I only say this because last year, I was able to get feedback (although slightly vague) following my PFO post-research questions (which was the last stage before an AC).
Well I have to say that you were lucky, I did not even get my feedback after my research question. I feel like that this trend of “record number” especially now that they are using Capp assessments.

Reactions: AW_08 and djqb

Timolee

Jan 5, 2022

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Hi all, can I ask what are the Taylor wessing AC dates, just wondering because i have not heard back and don't know if I should assume PFO
I was only offered one date. But it’s a while away yet so I don’t think you need to assume a PFO at this point - it’s not a PFO until you receive one. I’ve assumed so before and then been invited to next stage on more than one occasion.

Reactions: Ambs123, ZaraB and OB

SOAS22

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 26, 2021
    Hi, has anyone got any insight into this question - 'if you couldn't work in law, what would you do and why?'. Do you think it's better to go with something similar to law or completely different?

Hi. I had this question on an application this cycle. I was honest about what I would have done (teaching/academia) so not very related to law, but I was able to describe what I enjoyed about academia and link similarities back to law. I see this as not really a right or wrong question - it is just about how you link it back to law

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.