TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    has the application process of a firm (whether that be interactions with grad rec or issues with the process itself) put anyone off any firms? Also out of curiosity, what's everyone's top firm and why
    After 2 cycles, I decided that having a top firm was not for me because it just leads to more heartbreak if I get rejected! That being said my interactions with certain firms’ trainees like Stephenson Harwood really helped convince me that they were a lovely firm with likeminded people! I’ve also really been impressed with NRF (who have quite a diverse GR team) and all the support they’ve given us to prepare for assessment centre/very nice TI :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What do you guys think about being a little cheeky in a video interview and making a small joke? I know that firms want to see your personality in the video interview and see you relaxed rather than overly rehearsed so what are your thoughts about this? Or is too unprofessional?

@Jessica Booker
    If you are forcing it in for the sake of it, then don’t. If it’s naturally happened as you present your answer then this won’t be an issue

Reactions: ssolicitorz

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Prep for the VI and call them on Monday to confirm the status of your app- if they said you're through to VI, then you will have prepped for it. If they say no, then you would've brushed up on your VI prep for future applications.
    Thank you for this and that is what I am planning on doing this weekend.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    What do you guys think about being a little cheeky in a video interview and making a small joke? I know that firms want to see your personality in the video interview and see you relaxed rather than overly rehearsed so what are your thoughts about this? Or is too unprofessional?

@Jessica Booker
    If it's organic and doesn't detract from your substantive points I don't think there's any harm.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    has the application process of a firm (whether that be interactions with grad rec or issues with the process itself) put anyone off any firms? Also out of curiosity, what's everyone's top firm and why
    I’ve interviewed at a few firms and then been completely ignored - definitely gone off them from that haha

Reactions: ellwilsen and Rob93

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
    Jan 11, 2022
    Don’t know if anyone can advise on this…

What are your options if the 10k maintenance grant for the GDL won’t be sufficient for you to live in London? That could just about cover rent…
    I have a job offer already so was considering working along side it but don’t know if it’s realistic?
    I could go home but I am not from London so may have to do the online version, which would make me v sad and lonely lol 😭
    I worked alongside the GDL last year and found it really managable! I did it at Uni of Law, a lot of my friends did the same and also didn't struggle, its just a case of managing your time properly. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions :)

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Anybody know what the critical reasoning test at HFW assessment centre is?
    University societies are not employment so wouldn’t be checked. Anything that is employment will be though (and as throughly as can be).

Employment references are dates employed, job title and that you weren’t found to have committed anything related to misconduct.
    When you say as thoroughly as can be - some of the dates on mine may not be exact. Are the screening companies overly pedantic about this sort of thing?

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    has anyone done AS's headstart into vacation schemes? was it useful? i had a look at it but for summer schemes the two workshops are actually during my vs so i won't be able to attend, wondered if anyone had ever asked if they could do the one in march for a summer scheme?

NaimK

Valued Member
    May 6, 2019
    "The deadline to complete this task is midnight on Thursday 10th February 2022."

Just clarifying....does this mean basically until 23:59 on Thursday rather than 23:59 on Wednesday?

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Don’t know if anyone can advise on this…

What are your options if the 10k maintenance grant for the GDL won’t be sufficient for you to live in London? That could just about cover rent…
    I have a job offer already so was considering working along side it but don’t know if it’s realistic?
    I could go home but I am not from London so may have to do the online version, which would make me v sad and lonely lol 😭
    Whether or not it is realistic is very much dependant on you. Some people can work alongside studies down can’t. I’m very jealous of those that don’t need to work whilst studying! I worked almost full time alongside a full time LLB, 25 hours a week alongside a full time LLM and now 50-60 hours a week alongside the part time LPC. So it can be done but whether or not it should be is an entirely different question. I did this because I live/study in london, am not from london and left home very young so had to rent year round. I also hate house sharing so for my own sanity it’s better to work a lot of hours and pay circa 1500 rent for a one bed than it is to have spare time and housemates.

As for it just about covering rent remember the GDL is an academic year not a full calendar year so 9 months and you can rent a room in zone 2 for say 600/700 a month so the maintenance grant would cover that and low end living costs - you would be house sharing and won’t have much spare cash but it’s doable if you can be frugal.

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.