TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
It's tough... the cringest thing is seeing yourself not as you would in a mirror but the way the camera sees you, and like if you lean your head one way then it leans the other way on the screen 🤣 I think the trick is to really relax and know that it will seem cringe. The video interviews where I was successful were honestly some of the ones where I was more relaxed and had some 'ums' and some 'ers' as opposed to those where I was almost over-prepared and probably came across as somewhat robotic!

The best Video Interviews will be the ones I do after I get extensive cosmetic surgery and look fab

miss-piggy-botox-anderson-cooper.jpg

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Yes guys I agree - and my apologies I seem to have confused scenario-based questions with situational questions
Absolutely love to see self-reflection like this 😍 I have certainly had to correct myself on many an occasion after hearing from another user :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
PFO from Pinsent Masons London post-GMA. Absolutely gutted :( I got my application checked and amended by future trainees too, but I think I really let myself down in the GMA.

I'm in the penultimate year of my law degree (this is my first cycle applying) and so far I've only progressed to 1 AC out of 9 firms that I applied to, and realistically speaking, don't think I'll be getting any vac scheme offers this time round. Does anyone have any tips on re-applying for vac schemes in final year?

The thought of having to attend webinars, networking events and open days all over again in autumn and chasing deadlines again for applications whilst juggling everything else is already killing me. Aside from working on feedback you've received off the back of rejections, what else is helpful in bouncing back after a round of rejections?
Hi @jo I know that it is tough to face the prospect of applying again as at one point I thought I might have to face this prospect as well, before I got a TC offer at the end of the cycle (so there is still hope for you)!

Even when I was gearing up to apply all over again, I put the drudgery out of my mind and focused on everything I had learnt from my application cycle. I asked myself what worked in the applications that passed the app stage and how they differed from my other application forms. I asked myself which firms I liked most after going through the research process. I also looked at what days the new application cycle opened for various firms so that I could apply as early as possible and to as many firms as possible in a clear and structured way.

When I ultimately received two TC offers by the end of my first cycle, I was of course relieved. But I had also come around to not being too upset by the prospect of applying again. This was my career and my life that I was investing in, and investing more hours now in getting myself to the right firm could never be something that I would regret! The process is a drag, but you will get there eventually - I am certain of it! if you apply again, I am confident that you will feel much more experienced as a candidate and this will help you in approaching the process :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Who does everyone think is the dark horse of law firms? The diamond in the rough that doesn’t get enough credit and attention from the forum. I’ll start:

Northridge.
This is a cool question - I honestly have no idea which firm I would say! Maybe you want to start a thread about it 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The emails are generally listed on the interviewers' firm profiles. If they aren't, you can email grad rec explaining that you would like to thank your interviewers and if they could kindly share the relevant email addresses.

Wishing you the best 😇
I would instead ask Grad Rec to forward the email on to thank the interviewers rather than asking for the emails, as otherwise you are asking Grad Rec to deal with multiple emails (to ask for permission to share the details with you to each interviewer, then the email back to you), instead of just forwarding it.

This is the most appropriate way of dealing with it if you haven’t been given your interviewers’ email details.

Last edited:
Reactions: starbright

starbright

Star Member
Dec 18, 2021
I would instead ask Grad Rec to forward the email on to thank the interviewers rather than asking for the emails, as otherwise you are asking Grad Rec to deal with multiple emails (to ask for permission to share the details with you to each interviewer, then the email back to you), instead of just forwarding it.

This is the most appropriate way of dealing with it if you haven’t been given your interviewers’ email details.
That makes a lot of sense - thanks so much Jessica!

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
any thoughts on how best to start a video interview, and the types of points worth making. Is it best to focus on why the work at the firm is appealing or go into things like pro bono ect
I think it is best to stick with explaining the core things surrounding the work the firm does that interests you, given the short response times you will likely have. Moreover, pro-bono, work culture, and secondment opportunities etc. are always good supplementary points to mention, once you have established your main ones relating to the work you will be doing and why that interests you specifically

legalgemma

Distinguished Member
Jan 11, 2022
I think this may have been asked already, but if we are given the names of our interviewers prior to the interview, what should we be doing with this information?
Research them through the firm's website / LinkedIn to make sure you are aware of their practice areas and specialities! Either have specific questions to do with that area or at the very least have a solid understanding of what it is so that if they ask anything to do with it, you can make some kind of conversation. It's a massive advantage having their names ahead of time so definitely make use of it - see if you can find any commonground interests you have with them too that may come up in the interview :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
any thoughts on how best to start a video interview, and the types of points worth making. Is it best to focus on why the work at the firm is appealing or go into things like pro bono ect
It really will depend on the questions. You just need to focus on answering them and they will direct you to what you should discuss.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think this may have been asked already, but if we are given the names of our interviewers prior to the interview, what should we be doing with this information?
My personal view on this is nothing - but not everyone will agree with me on this.

Your interview is about you, not about your interviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.