TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Easily gonna be a serious firing zone from Links very soon😩 they’re gonna be more brutal than Reed Smith. At least RS had the courtesy to send holding emails 😳
The Office Finger Guns GIF
For all of us

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Research them through the firm's website / LinkedIn to make sure you are aware of their practice areas and specialities! Either have specific questions to do with that area or at the very least have a solid understanding of what it is so that if they ask anything to do with it, you can make some kind of conversation. It's a massive advantage having their names ahead of time so definitely make use of it - see if you can find any commonground interests you have with them too that may come up in the interview :)

My personal view on this is nothing - but not everyone will agree with me on this.

Your interview is about you, not about your interviewers.
Great to get two different perspectives on this, thank you both!

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
The cover letter is a good place to make it a bit more personal, all while backing your motivations up with evidence.

You could talk about what sparked your interest in a career in commercial law and what made you develop it further, why the firm stood out to you, what your USP is and why it makes you fit for a career in commercial law at the firm.

This is from a few years ago but I found this resource by Izzet Hassan incredibly useful in personalising my cover letters and adding detail to them. I hope you find it helpful!
This is brilliant. I just have to make it though my final Trusts exam and then I will tackle this! Thanks so so much. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a reminder, we are looking for for some responses to the starred threads. I’d encourage you to post your thoughts, especially to the music royalties thread - your analysis is likely to be far better than mine.

More details here:

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Taylor Wessing AC invite 🥳 Any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

Birketts invitation to interview! :oops:That's all my applications back, in the post-application stage. This is my second (third unofficially) cycle, and I really think that really really researching firms and only picking firms that I love, was really important. I applied to 5 firms: Eversheds, Pinsent Masons, Mills&Reeve, Trowers&Hamlins and Birketts- all of which had a strong Real Estate focus that matched my own experience. I have worked in student accommodation, then Social Housing, and now work as a paralegal in Real Estate Investment. That way, my 'why law' or 'why this firm' seemed specific and genuine. Of all 5 firms, I only had one rejection (Eversheds) and that was the only firm where I rushed the application. Every other, I have got through to the next stage! Fingers crossed for the next stage!!! :):)

EVERSHEDS VAC SCHEME!! 😭😭
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice before the AC! Couldn't have done it without you

Omg HSF summer AC! After initially getting rejected for spring

HSF AC !!!!! :))

JUST PASSED MY FIRST EVER AC!!!!!:eek: so thankful for this forum!!

CRS VI!!

If anyone has any experience with this or tips on how to prepare please could you let me know as CRS is one of my top firms!! Thanks

Dentons Vac Scheme Offer

Interview invite at Akin Gump! Applied on 28 Dec - any help/tips much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!

CMS Acadamy Offer!!

Fladgate Watson Glaser test invite!

Addleshaw AC! Does anyone have any advice or tips? It would be very much appreciated

Hey all! I just received a W&C Video Interview invite. I was wondering if anybody had any advice or tips on what I should look out for? I've never passed a video interview before so I'm a bit nervous haha. Thanks in advance :)

Details if anyone was wondering; Applied on the 13th of December for the Summer Scheme.

This week I was offered a place on an Easter vacation scheme (yay!) and it will be in person. I did a vacation scheme last summer but it was virtual, so I'm keen to hear about people's experience doing an in-person one and if they had any tips :)

Thanks!

Congratulations on all these successes of the past few days - it's always so excellent to see!! 😍

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone please share some advice for Pinsent's AC? please PM me if possible. Also @James Carrabino @George Maxwell if you could please mention me on threads where this was discussed before.

Thanks everyone.
Hi @GXA123 - if you are looking for specific threads/content, my advice is to use the search function on the forums and then use the "search title only function" option to find relevant threads

1644762808106.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.