TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
I’m doing DLA’s vac scheme this summer and having worked with them in the past (through their insight programme, for example) I would say they invest quite a lot in training and supporting interns. I’ve heard great things about their vac scheme and I’m really looking forward to itWhich
Which office are you gonna join?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Very curious to know what a stereotypical GR look is....

Think Which One GIF by Nick Jonas

Reactions: James Carrabino

AW_08

Valued Member
Dec 20, 2019
Just had my partner interview with MB! It's the first I've gotten before, and I just wanted to know...HOW DO YOU COPE WITH ALL OF THE FEELINGS AFTER?! It's only been a couple of hours, but I need to know how I did now lol. Waiting for 1-2 weeks is going to be a killer 🤣

Also, the interview went okay! It's always hard to tell, but this is THE firm for me so fingers crossed! Good luck to anyone else who has interviews or ACs today or this week!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
White women? There is nothing wrong in that..but I have not seen many black GR
Had plenty of non-white colleagues/contacts in my time and know of enough at the moment that would suggest a fairly healthy representation. Plus I think a bit like gender, people possibly wrongly assume people's race on some occasions.

aspiringlawyer22

Star Member
Mar 16, 2021
Just had my partner interview with MB! It's the first I've gotten before, and I just wanted to know...HOW DO YOU COPE WITH ALL OF THE FEELINGS AFTER?! It's only been a couple of hours, but I need to know how I did now lol. Waiting for 1-2 weeks is going to be a killer 🤣

Also, the interview went okay! It's always hard to tell, but this is THE firm for me so fingers crossed! Good luck to anyone else who has interviews or ACs today or this week!
This was honestly the worst part for me! I had to wait 16 days (which isn’t that long but they stretched out omg)

Good luck!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Had plenty of non-white colleagues/contacts in my time and know of enough at the moment that would suggest a fairly healthy representation. Plus I think a bit like gender, people possibly wrongly assume people's race on some occasions.
Thank you,

I can tell you that in the last four years, I have attended so many virtual events and I have seen only one brown woman! I can list all the law firms and it was just shocking to me. Maybe they work in the office but I have not seen them on the panels interacting with students or aspiring solicitors. Maybe you could advise them to be more present as representation matters!

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell and JD

gt1465

Jan 8, 2022
does anyone know how long it usually takes Slaughter and May's GR team to reply to emails - I emailed asking a quite an important Q about my offer on Thursday but was wondering how long is normal to wait for a response?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
people like Paul, you are more than enough Jess you are doing a great job
Well with a compliment like that, that's made my Valentines day (beats the card my Mum sent me anyway)....

🤣

I know we are considering getting more firms involved with TCLA. I think it is just a tricky thing for law firm's GR teams to commit to. It's not necessarily just down to time, sometimes it can be a bit of a nightmare to get approval to do things like this. I know, as I was the first firm to sign up to TSR back in the day and post in there. Lots of people in PR didn't particularly like the idea of us doing it, as it was really putting the firm out there and open to criticism.

I'll have a think about how we could get more firm's/recruiters involved though and know we will tackle the subject in one of our future team meetings.

I'd be interested if anyone would be cautious of more recruiters using the forums?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Thank you,

I can tell you that in the last four years, I have attended so many virtual events and I have seen only one brown woman! I can list all the law firms and it was just shocking to me. Maybe they work in the office but I have not seen them on the panels interacting with students or aspiring solicitors. Maybe you could advise them to be more present as representation matters!
    I was actually surprised by the diversity of NRF's GR team because I have felt the same when attending events and the like!

Reactions: George Maxwell

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Well with a compliment like that, that's made my Valentines day (beats the card my Mum sent me anyway)....

🤣

I know we are considering getting more firms involved with TCLA. I think it is just a tricky thing for law firm's GR teams to commit to. It's not necessarily just down to time, sometimes it can be a bit of a nightmare to get approval to do things like this. I know, as I was the first firm to sign up to TSR back in the day and post in there. Lots of people in PR didn't particularly like the idea of us doing it, as it was really putting the firm out there and open to criticism.

I'll have a think about how we could get more firm's/recruiters involved though and know we will tackle the subject in one of our future team meetings.

I'd be interested if anyone would be cautious of more recruiters using the forums?
    @Jessica Booker you are our Valentine!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you,

A lot of people from minorities don't want to be wheeled out more to be honest. They tend to get proportionately overused in the first place, not just by Grad Rec but by the firm more generally. That doesn't just apply to Grad Rec, but trainees/associates/partners too - I have lost count of how many times I have had someone effectively say to me "are you asking me to do this because I am (delete one or more of the following) black/state school educated/non-binary/neuro-diverse/old" etc,

It is a really tricky balance to strike, especially with increasing amounts of marketing/events activity, and with more activity specifically for minority groups.

Slightly controversial view, but HR isn't exactly a prestigious career to aim for either, meaning for a lot of cultures there are going to be far fewer people wanting to get into it. Grad Rec is also a very "UK" centred industry. There are some other geographical hot spots, but apart from South Africa, they tend to be predominately white countries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.