TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawvc2021

Star Member
Nov 13, 2021
Call today’s firm as soon as possible to explain the situation. They will understand and if they can offer you another date they will. It will only be if they are filling booked up for other dates that they may not be able to offer you an alternative.

Once you have spoken to today’s firm call the other firms to do the same.

You haven’t really got the time to rely on email, so definitely call.
Thank you, Jessica!

Reactions: GXA123

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Just had my partner interview with MB! It's the first I've gotten before, and I just wanted to know...HOW DO YOU COPE WITH ALL OF THE FEELINGS AFTER?! It's only been a couple of hours, but I need to know how I did now lol. Waiting for 1-2 weeks is going to be a killer 🤣

Also, the interview went okay! It's always hard to tell, but this is THE firm for me so fingers crossed! Good luck to anyone else who has interviews or ACs today or this week!

Hey @AW_08,

How did the interview go? Congratulations for getting through it. Partner interviews are stressful and it is a serious achievement to have made it through!

Regarding post-interview anxiety, I really feel for you on this. For me I got through by 1. doing my best to throw myself into other things in a positive way* and 2. reminding myself that I had done my best and that worrying would not change anything (I realise that this is easier said than done).

*on this, I find in general that exercise is a great way to channel my anxiety. Often when I am feeling very anxious go for a run for example. That way at least, at the end of the day my anxiety had resulted in something positive that I could look back on and be proud of- rather than being upset with myself that I had remained in bed or not done much! Cooking and climbing are also great coping mechanisms as they are activities (for me) that require me to be present and focused on what I am doing.

Please do reach out if you would like any further support or help. My fingers are crossed for you 🤞

Hi all, just curious if you receive a TC from a spring VS, typically when do you need to accept/decline it? I know TCs from some summer VS have a ddl of acceptance until mid September, just wondering if spring is the same

Hey @YUKI1201,

I don't think that this has been responded to as yet, but if it has apologies!

My experience was that many firms offered me four from the offer date to respond. This is in line with the 'voluntary code of conduct for trainee solicitors' (see Chambers Student for an article on this).

If you are concerned that you may be forced into accepting one way or the other (because your summer vacation schemes start more than four weeks after your spring vacation scheme), I would be happy to share some thoughts on how to deal with this situation (from experience).

I hope that helps!

I just received an email saying to give them a call back. I had an interview with them last week. Is a phone call generally good news, and does anyone know specifically if Shearman sends a PFO post interview by email or phone call.

Hey @funstuff21,

I know that @Jessica Booker has replied to this already. I agree with her that it is difficult to answer what sort of news phonecall might be.

I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for it. I know how scary phonecalls like that can be. If you feel comfortable I would love to hear what the news was!

I really hope that it was positive 🤞

I got a VS offer via phone call on Friday but haven’t had an email confirming the offer yet- is this normal? How long should I expect to wait until I receive the confirmation email?

Hey @Law2021vacschemer,

This was my experience for all of my offers! Congratulations for getting the scheme.

Which firm was it with? 🥳

oh god just dawn on me. I have an in person interview on Friday. Surely I don't shake their hand ? As although we are nearly out the pandemic its not really appropriate/ safe yet? lol don't mind me stressing about tiny issues

My suggestion is always to ask when you first meet them. It'll show your confidence and avoid a potentially-uncomfortable situation. Also gives you an immediate talking point!

@Jaysen I think that this is fantastic advice. My approach was always to just follow my interviewer, but I like how this demonstrates that you are confident, are sensitive to the needs of others and are capable of communicating clearly with colleagues.

Something to remember @manchester12 is that your interviewer will have experience of negotiating this difficulty (having worked during the pandemic). This is not an aspect of the interview that you need to take control of or worry about, although I do understand the anxiety.

Please do let us know how it goes! I would be interested how you found @Jaysen's advice in practice 🙌

Beluga

Star Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jan 31, 2021
Just did a test where I was expected to finish 60 questions in 6 minutes! I only managed to answer 40 and safe to say, it has to be one of the more difficult assessments I had to take this cycle!
Wow, kudos for even getting through that, my concentration could never!

Just out of curiosity, what was this for?

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2021
Help!! I just had an AC presentation and the content of what I was saying I am confident, in but I was literally so visibly nervous and shaking, and finished quite a few minutes ahead of time - how bad is this?

LawfulRed

• Nov 17, 2020
    Help!! I just had an AC presentation and the content of what I was saying I am confident, in but I was literally so visibly nervous and shaking, and finished quite a few minutes ahead of time - how bad is this?
    I think it is natural that you'll be nervous for a high-stakes AC. Although you might be marked down for presentation skills I think they will be more interested in your overall content, e.g. your commercial awareness.

• Love
    Reactions: OB and letmeintolaw

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Well done for getting to AC! I'm sure you did great, a presentation is always intimidating so everyone is nervous. As someone who has done two case studies (successfully) and was told in both "well that was shorter than expected" I don't think it really matters as long as you covered all the right points. In both I took around 4 minutes rather than the 10 so if you feel confident about the content that should be enough. This is especially true if you were able to answer any follow-ups as often this is the harder part of the assessment :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.