TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Farrer PFO.

My rejection email said the following:

“We are very sorry not to be able to offer you a place on our scheme and hope this does not deter you from applying for a training contract with us if you have not already done so.”

Genuinely curious if anyone has thoughts on whether it’s worth applying if I couldn’t even secure a spot on the vac scheme?

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Farrer PFO.

“We are very sorry not to be able to offer you a place on our scheme and hope this does not deter you from applying for a training contract with us if you have not already done so.”

Genuinely curious if anyone has thoughts on whether it’s worth applying if I couldn’t even secure a spot on the vac scheme?
    Go for it! Nothing to lose.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Farrer PFO.

Well my love if you do not try you will never know. Always worth a try with small changes :)

Reactions: TCG and Adrian_S

Rachael.Elisa

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 15, 2021
    Farrer PFO.

Hi, sorry to hear about the PFO. Can I ask when you applied as I've not heard back yet.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Sometimes when I am rejected from a law firm, I reflect and genuinely conclude that they weren’t right for me.

It’s a bit like post-nut clarity.
    Was that last sentence really necessary or appropriate - on a public forum where you do not know the audience. It along with so much banter have misogynistic undertones. I do not think that was the intention but words and language matter.

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    Hey @AW_08,

How did the interview go? Congratulations for getting through it. Partner interviews are stressful and it is a serious achievement to have made it through!

Regarding post-interview anxiety, I really feel for you on this. For me I got through by 1. doing my best to throw myself into other things in a positive way* and 2. reminding myself that I had done my best and that worrying would not change anything (I realise that this is easier said than done).

*on this, I find in general that exercise is a great way to channel my anxiety. Often when I am feeling very anxious go for a run for example. That way at least, at the end of the day my anxiety had resulted in something positive that I could look back on and be proud of- rather than being upset with myself that I had remained in bed or not done much! Cooking and climbing are also great coping mechanisms as they are activities (for me) that require me to be present and focused on what I am doing.

Please do reach out if you would like any further support or help. My fingers are crossed for you 🤞

Hey @YUKI1201,

I don't think that this has been responded to as yet, but if it has apologies!

My experience was that many firms offered me four from the offer date to respond. This is in line with the 'voluntary code of conduct for trainee solicitors' (see Chambers Student for an article on this).

If you are concerned that you may be forced into accepting one way or the other (because your summer vacation schemes start more than four weeks after your spring vacation scheme), I would be happy to share some thoughts on how to deal with this situation (from experience).

I hope that helps!

Hey @funstuff21,

I know that @Jessica Booker has replied to this already. I agree with her that it is difficult to answer what sort of news phonecall might be.

I just wanted to wish you the very best of luck for it. I know how scary phonecalls like that can be. If you feel comfortable I would love to hear what the news was!

I really hope that it was positive 🤞

Hey @Law2021vacschemer,

This was my experience for all of my offers! Congratulations for getting the scheme.

Which firm was it with? 🥳

@Jaysen I think that this is fantastic advice. My approach was always to just follow my interviewer, but I like how this demonstrates that you are confident, are sensitive to the needs of others and are capable of communicating clearly with colleagues.

Something to remember @manchester12 is that your interviewer will have experience of negotiating this difficulty (having worked during the pandemic). This is not an aspect of the interview that you need to take control of or worry about, although I do understand the anxiety.

Please do let us know how it goes! I would be interested how you found @Jaysen's advice in practice 🙌
    The interview did go well, but now I'm stuck overthinking every single answer I gave and how I acted! I'm trying to forget about it as, like you said, there is nothing more that I can do: I did my best and that's all I could have done. Thank you so much for your support as always!

I'm just trying to remind myself that the feedback so far from the firm was very very positive so hopefully they look at it holistically before making a VS decision. Maybe @Jessica Booker can shed some light on this?

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Was that last sentence really necessary or appropriate - on a public forum where you do not know the audience. It along with so much banter have misogynistic undertones. I do not think that was the intention but words and language matter.
    Does everything require a feminist reading?

It was a joke to lighten the mood in a stressful time for many of us.

Plus, I’m pretty sure that women get post-nut clarity too so I don’t think you’re being particularly inclusive 😂

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does everything require a feminist reading?

It was a joke to lighten the mood in a stressful time for many of us.

Plus, I’m pretty sure that women get post-nut clarity too so I don’t think you’re being particularly inclusive 😂
    Shall we try and not pick fights on this forum at every opportunity? And considering how others may read what you say is a good skill moving forward into the professional world.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.