TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just when you've packed up for the cycle...Mayer Brown AC lol, absolutely love the firm but just started my new job today & so no chance I would do the VS this summer. Should I do the AC wait to see the result & ask to be considered for a TC? Any advice would be great.
I'd probably contact them before the AC in all honesty to see if they have any flexibility. I think they would appreciate this more than being told afterwards.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I recently received an AC invite from HSF but it falls on the same day as something else. Both things are stressing me out but although they fall on the same day, they are occurring at different times and the timings won't overlap (they are 2 hours apart). I've told grad rec and they said I could reschedule. However, the next possible date is on 16 March, which is quite far from now.
  1. My question, will completing my AC at a later date affect my ability to secure a vac scheme? I am asking as I heard that HSF responds on the day itself. I am worried that choosing a later AC will mean that I am competing for a lesser number of slots.
  2. Additionally, would it be rude to email grad rec and ask if choosing a later date will impact my chance of securing a vac scheme with them?
  3. How much time is actually enough to prepare for an AC? I currently have 10 days till my AC. Is that enough time to be ready?
I would appreciate any advice. Thank you very much <33
If you email them to ask, they are only going to come back and say no it won't impact your chances, even if it was to impact (which I don't think it will).

Remember a lot of the preparation needed for an AC is already done, You researched the firm when you applied, you have been building your skill set for many years etc. I personally feel like you could prep for an AC in half a day (many people may say this isn't enough) and that could easily be broken down into bite-size chunks over the next week or so. And most of that prep is reading things about the firm/market trends, familiarising yourself with key commercial topics the firm works with, and at best maybe a mock interview or practising some interview questions.

I think you have to do what is best for you though. If delaying your AC until next month is better for you mentally, then it's a no brainer in my opinion to move it to that date. You have to consider any risks that you are not in the right frame of mind for the AC and whatever else you have going on that day.
Hi @Lian Lian I completely agree with @Jessica Booker on this! If you were sent into your AC right now my guess is you would actually be completely prepared, although a couple days to reach out to those who have done one before and look up a few things never hurts. Ten days is more than enough - for me, I never worried about having enough time to prepare as long as I was able to leave the full day prior to my AC free for preparation. If I was busy the previous day then I would make sure to do more in advance, and my preparation would also consist of going about my daily business and thinking 'Wait a second, I just thought of an excellent point I need to bring up in my interview' etc, which I would then duly add to my notes!

Regarding the scheduling issue, I am not really qualified to say, but I agree that it would probably be a waste of time e-mailing to ask whether it would hurt your chances.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just got the call and I got the NRF VS 😭after three years I am thrilled!!

NRF spring vac offer!!!
Back to back NRF offer posts, that's what we like to see!

All the love heart manifestations paid off (although I'd actually say it's both of your hard work that's created your success really!)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Doesn’t really matter! There’s so many Black people prospering… (I would say more than Asians) and there is quite a handful of Black HR individuals I’ve come across. May be you are not looking carefully. Well that’s my opinion.
Quite assuming, rude and frankly a bit aggressive. Please address with kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.