TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Not assuming at all. This forum allows for freedom speech. I’m just giving my own opinion. You’ve mentioned multiple times on how there is a “lack of Black representation” which is VERY UNTRUE.

I was just speaking to a very good friend who is Black and is now an associate at White & Case and he mentioned how there are many Black people at the firm. But, sometimes not all people want to put themselves forward at firm events/insights days.

And I would like to know why does it matter what colour a HR person is? Not like that it will make a difference! The recruitment process for most firms are fair.
    Lay off mate, sounds like you’re just looking for an argument. He was just making an observation. Just because you’ve had different experiences doesn’t make you right either, by the way.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    Lay off mate, sounds like you’re just looking for an argument. He was just making an observation. Just because you’ve had different experiences doesn’t make you right either, by the way.
    Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech. Not looking for an argument at all. Well an observation which is definitely inaccurate…

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech. Not looking for an argument at all. Well an observation which is definitely inaccurate…

not to prolong this argument any further, but s87’s observation was not “definitely inaccurate.”

law firms are very aware that black lawyers are underrepresented in the profession. diversity initiatives are tailored, in part, to remedy the problem. at present, it’s unclear just how successful such efforts have been and we need better data on the matter. but there is a wealth of empirical scholarship which examines barriers to the legal profession for black americans and black britons. and there is good reason to think there is still much that needs to be done to level the playing field.

pointing to the handful of black lawyers you know (or have read about at firms you like) doesn’t undermine this point - and it’s likely that your sample size is biased.

but what do i know? i’m just an aspiring wine mum.

Last edited:

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    not to prolong this argument any further, but what s87 said was not “definitely inaccurate.”

law firms are very aware that black lawyers are underrepresented in the profession. diversity initiatives are tailored, in part, to remedy the problem. at present, it’s not clear just how successful such efforts have been in addressing said underrepresentation and we need further data on the matter. that being said, there is a wealth of empirical scholarship which examines barriers to the legal profession for black Americans and black Britons. and there is strong reason to think there is under representation.

pointing to the handful of black lawyers you know (or have read about at firms you like) doesn’t undermine this point - and it’s more likely that your sample size is biased.

but what do I know? i’m just an aspiring wine mum
    Thank you and remind me to offer you some good wine!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker
    If Vero onboarding needs to verify my "highest education" does this mean just university results or GCSE/A Levels as well (can't locate my certificates for these!)
    I would assume it just means your degree (if obtained). However, ask Vero to confirm what they need if you are unsure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is a SWOT/Pestle analysis for M&A case studies generally liked by firms? It's a concept I originally came across in like GCSE Business, so worried it may be seen as overly-simplistic? Also is there one that firms tend to prefer out of the two approaches? Would appreciate your thoughts @Jessica Booker !
    I really don’t think it’s as binary as either/or. You could use a range of different methods to present your thinking too.

Depending on the instructions, this type of analysis might not be needed at all.

If they are used, it won’t be considered too simplistic, just because you learnt it at GCSE. It’s a commonly used technique. The analysis within the model will be where the complexity is anyway.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Argh, I just tested positive for COVID and have three ACs this week - today, tomorrow and Thursday. Could not be worse timing! I am feeling pretty rotten and struggling to talk as my throat is so sore. Am not sure what to do.
    I am really sorry to hear this! I tested positive for covid before my AC too and it was not fun. The first thing I did was let graduate recruitment know and see if I could be moved (in my case this wasn’t possible). I also mentioned it to my interviewers. Honestly listen to your body, if you think you can do all three then get lots of rest and drink lots of water (the adrenaline pushes you through the AC!). I had several hot drinks by my side, drank paracetamol and had some fruits to snack on in between the different parts of my AC which helped!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Argh, I just tested positive for COVID and have three ACs this week - today, tomorrow and Thursday. Could not be worse timing! I am feeling pretty rotten and struggling to talk as my throat is so sore. Am not sure what to do.
    Call today’s firm as soon as possible to explain the situation. They will understand and if they can offer you another date they will. It will only be if they are filling booked up for other dates that they may not be able to offer you an alternative.

Once you have spoken to today’s firm call the other firms to do the same.

You haven’t really got the time to rely on email, so definitely call.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.