TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone else have their graduation ceremony in July which of course coincides with many vacation schemes? Is it reasonable to take time off from a vac scheme in order to graduate or would that be an issue? @Jessica Booker your thoughts would be great !
You can typically take a day off for a graduation, but any longer than that and it might prove difficult. You should let the firm know ASAP so you can discuss it with them to ensure it doesn't clash with any key events on the scheme.

Try to also show your willingness to make the time up that week if needed, although usually you will get a day or two of annual leave depending on the length of the scheme.

They could say no to the time off if there is something important happening on that day though (just to warn you).

Reactions: George Maxwell

shootingstar

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 6, 2020
Hi everyone :) Huge congrats for everyone making through all the rejections and persisting through process :)! I was wondering whether anyone has done an AC with Latham and wouldn’t mind sharing some tips and guidance :)? Thank you so much!

amzey2

Star Member
Jan 16, 2022
Has anyone ever seen/heard of associates switching practice areas after they're qualified? Probably more so within the same field e.g. M&A to capital markets, as opposed to a drastic change like M&A to arbitration. Do you qualify as a solicitor generally, or as a solicitor in a specific practice area? I feel like the idea of staying in one area for the rest of my career is daunting, what if I don't like it anymore lol
It’s rather uncommon but can happen. Moving from rather closely related practices might of course be easier. Also worth noting that at the senior level people tend to specialize in 2-3 closely related practices - for ex M&A and Private Equity.
In relation to those “drastic” changes, again it might happen. I have personally once talked with an Associate (at an MC) who moved from Derivatives to Arbitration.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Vinson & Elkins AC/interview.

My first AC/interview ever after 2 years of applying. A little shocked right now. Yeezus.

if anyone has any suggestions, i’m all ears!
My (somewhat unhelpful) suggestion is a mini-celebratory meal at either Nandos, Wagamamas or even a Busaba Eathai if you have one close by!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.