TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
For those who applied to Latham..what made you succeed? The questions are yes simple but cannot be understimated
They ask for why Latham over another firm, so the key is that you need to add a comparative element. For e.g. if you mention you like the firm's equity capital markets work, you need to highlight how it's top-tier ranked, higher than any other firm, which draws you to Latham's work.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell and S87

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
They ask for why Latham over another firm, so the key is that you need to add a comparative element. For e.g. if you mention you like the firm's equity capital markets work, you need to highlight how it's top-tier ranked, higher than any other firm, which draws you to Latham's work.
thank you

A

AspiringIPLawyer

Hi @George Maxwell !

I have my AC with HSF coming up on Thursday and had a further couple of questions if you don't mind me asking. Did you find that they asked you a lot of questions about things that you had specifically included in your application? (for example, in the 'introduce us to a topic you know about' question).

Also, did you find they asked you/should I prepare answers for explicit questions about who the firms closest competitors are, where they could open a new office, etc? Just wondering where these sort of questions might come up as the competency interview is only 35 mins!

Btw, I have read the Jake Schogger Commercial Law Handbook and it was an amazing suggestion! Thank you so much for this recommendation.

Thanks in advance 😊

amerlin2022

Standard Member
Jan 12, 2022
Hi @George Maxwell !

I have my AC with HSF coming up on Thursday and had a further couple of questions if you don't mind me asking. Did you find that they asked you a lot of questions about things that you had specifically included in your application? (for example, in the 'introduce us to a topic you know about' question).

Also, did you find they asked you/should I prepare answers for explicit questions about who the firms closest competitors are, where they could open a new office, etc? Just wondering where these sort of questions might come up as the competency interview is only 35 mins!

Btw, I have read the Jake Schogger Commercial Law Handbook and it was an amazing suggestion! Thank you so much for this recommendation.

Thanks in advance 😊

I had an AC with HSF a couple of weeks ago. I did get asked on the 'introduce to a topic you know about' question but the associate taking the interview had involvement in the topic I wrote about so it might be dependent on who interviews you! They didn't ask any questions on closest competitors, new office etc more the standard why HSF, why commercial law stuff, then general competency questions.

• ℹ️
Reactions: George Maxwell

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Does anyone understand why Gibson Dunn don’t just reject you / send a PFO instead of ghosting / acting like you have a chance? I’m seeing people on here with second stage interviews for the VS and all I got was a holding email like 1 month ago ?? 🥲

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    here’s what I have so far. going to keep looking, send a bunch of emails out, and update the list accordingly:

Yes
    Boodle Hatfield
    Farrer & Co
    Linklaters
    Macfarlanes
    Norton Rose Fulbright
    Slaughter & May
    Travers Smith

No
    Addleshaw Goddard
    Allen & Overy
    Baker McKenzie
    Bird & Bird
    Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
    Clyde & Co
    CMS
    Davis Polk & Wardell
    Dechert
    DLA Piper
    Gateley
    Gowling WLG
    Herbert Smith Freehills
    Hogan Lovells
    Irwin Mitchell
    Mills & Reeve
    Mishcon de Reya
    Reed Smith
    Ropes & Gray
    Shearman & Sterling
    Sidley Austin
    Stephenson Harwood

Unclear
    Dentons
    Vinson & Elkins
    Weil, Gotshal, & Manges
    Hi, among these any idea which firms select majorly from TC?

Last edited:

unserious candidate

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
  • Nov 7, 2021
    I am new to LinkedIn and ngl I am constantly cringing at all the posts I keep seeing 😭😭. "grateful to have received offers from a, b, c, d, e, f and g schemes. unfortunately however they all overlap so I have got some tough decisions to make and will have to reject most of them! thank you to all the respective grad rec teams and my mum and dad!!! not looking forward to the tough decisions that lie ahead." I sound like a hater but honestly find it extremely cringe and a bit of a useless thing to post 😂 (especially cause they tag all the firms aswell just to tell them they'll be rejecting them)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.