TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Hi everyone!
    Any advice on how to prepare for a news article discussion as part of an interview? It's my first one so not really sure what to expect. Thanks!
    I did an AC with Freshfields and they had an article based interview, here's my two cents :)

1. I'd say brush up on your business knowledge, i.e., not just current affairs/commercial news (these are very important too) but also how businesses function, improve performance and deal with difficulties. I personally found my GCSE business and A-level economics knowledge pretty helpful, if you didn't take those subjects you could try to find summary notes (or just go to Investopedia and search up).
    2. Also you could go to FT and find an article, practise analysing it using SWOT and PESTLE - it doesn't mean you have to follow these structures in the interview, but this way you develop a mindset knowing what aspects to think about when reading an issue.
    3. Make sure you know where and how the lawyers may fit into the issue you're reading.
    4. I don't think this is necessary but could potentially be a bonus point and help you stand out: bring in external examples (i.e., news you have read, deals the firm has previously done) to demonstrate and substantiate your point. For example, when asked on why can't a business just collapse and leave everything in a mess, I used examples of Evergrand and Lehman to illustrate the impacts on stakeholders.

Last edited:

TeeLaw

Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2021
    I did an AC with Freshfields and they had an article based interview, here's my two cents :)

1. I'd say brush up on your business knowledge, i.e., not just current affairs/commercial news (these are very important too) but also how businesses function, improve performance and deal with difficulties. I personally found my GCSE business and A-level economics knowledge pretty helpful, if you haven't done those subjects you could try to find summary notes (or just go to Investopedia and search up).
    2. Also you could go to FT and find an article, practise analysing it using SWOT and PESTLE - it doesn't mean you have to follow these structures in the interview, but this way you develop a mindset knowing what aspects to think about when reading an issue.
    3. Make sure you know where and how the lawyers may fit into the issue you're reading.
    4. I don't think this is necessary but could potentially be a bonus point and help you stand out: bring in external examples (i.e., news you have read, deals the firm has previously done) to demonstrate and substantiate your point. For example, when asked on why can't a business just collapse and leave everything in a mess, I used examples of Evergrand and Lehman to illustrate the impacts on stakeholders.
    Ok great, thank you! @YUKI1201

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    What is a good way of approaching the question 'why commercial law, and not finance?'.
    Personally I think the best way to approach any of these questions/type of questions is with what your personal reasons are, for me I never considered finance and I would say that. My journey to commercial law was quite organic - I explored the different legal professions so the bar and solicitor, did a masters, and worked in commercial law as a paralegal and found that that was what liked best and ticked all the boxes for me, I got a scholarship to do the LPC so the next step and progression for me is trainee solicitor in commercial law. I'd be interested to see what others suggest to answer such questions.

S

selfcarequeenzzz1

I have a final stage video interview with an in-house legal team for a summer internship - any advice? I have never had a video interview nor a final stage one either!

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    I have an Ac Tomorrow and I’m really struggling with my ‘why law’ answer. My answer just sounds so long winded and takes into account all my experience and academic because I didn’t have a lightbulb moment to go into commercial law.

does anyone have any tips to break down this answer so it doesn’t sound like I’m rambling about my life? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have an Ac Tomorrow and I’m really struggling with my ‘why law’ answer. My answer just sounds so long winded and takes into account all my experience and academic because I didn’t have a lightbulb moment to go into commercial law.

does anyone have any tips to break down this answer so it doesn’t sound like I’m rambling about my life? Thanks!
    Break it down to the 4-5 key points/most influential parts of the journey - you don't have to describe every step. You also don't have to describe what you did just why those 4-5 parts of your journey made you more determined to pursue the career.

Reactions: Rob93
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.