TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I can totally relate I have 2 ACs/interview next week aswell as my LPC exams and full time job! I think the best thing we can do is just tryyy to prioritise the things that are happening at the start of the week and then work our way down xx
Argh, we've got this though! Even just knowing I'm not alone in trying to balance too much helps. Good luck for next week!

I'm definitely counting down until March 17th for this LPC assessment period to be over for me...

• 🤝
Reactions: GXA123 and Legalmel_99

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Just received a final stage interview invite with Travers- its on Wednesday (1 hr with GR Partner). Could someone please share how best to prepare for this format.
@George Maxwell @AvniD @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker would really appreciate any advice on how best so prepare for this interview please- as there’s no case study are they likely to try to test commercial awareness in some way? Also, could someone pls help me with how to approach moral debate qs?

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Argh, we've got this though! Even just knowing I'm not alone in trying to balance too much helps. Good luck for next week!

I'm definitely counting down until March 17th for this LPC assessment period to be over for me...
Good luck to you as well!!
Once 17th march comes I’ll be celebrating it’s been so intense! My inbox is always open if you want to talk about anything! xx

Reactions: GXA123

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
@George Maxwell @AvniD @James Carrabino @Jessica Booker would really appreciate any advice on how best so prepare for this interview please- as there’s no case study are they likely to try to test commercial awareness in some way? Also, could someone pls help me with how to approach moral debate qs?
Hey @TCApp2021,

Huge congratulations for reaching the final interview stage! This is fantastic news.

So unfortunately I did not complete an interview with Travers. Just to check, is this for their VS? I have a feeling that Travers don't offer direct TC places, so apologies if that was a silly question!

Has the firm provided you with any information about what to expect from the interview? Very happy to provide links to some general interview resources if not (as I would guess the interview is then likely to be competency/motivational style).

Finally, I would really encourage you to use the search bar functionality. This may yield some users who have completed the interview already (who you can them PM), but also there might be some useful content on the forum which could be helpful! For example, searching 'travers interview' looks promising!

Looking forward to hearing from you and congratulations again for being progressed to interview 🚀

Reactions: Jaysen

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Hey @YUKI1201,

If you would like more generic VI advice, let me know and I can point you towards some of TCLA's resources for VIs in general.

In terms of W&C VI tips, my advice (based on doing the VI in 2021) would be to consider the firm's overall global strategy, be comfortable talking about the three whys and consider some basic competence questions!

I hope that helps 💪

Agreed -

I would stress the importance and distinctness of the successful 2020 strategy, and now the refreshed 2025 strategy (focusing on growth in London and NY). Would also mention W&C's blended English and US law capabilities means the firm leads in global projects, debt finance, disputes and energy work...(v. important for W&C).

The firm's global nature means it is one worldwide business, one equal partnership - and this means there is an open and inclusive nature throughout. Also, associates and partners are able to turn their hand to many different matters and think holistically.

Also be prepared to demonstrate how your experience translates into corporate law and discuss what skills you can bring to the table.

Good luck! Remember to breathe, relax and smile!

WiseOwl

Oct 12, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I have an AC coming up with a US law firm and have been informed that the AC will be revolved around my CV and anything that I have written. I do not think the interview will involve a checklist of questions but will be more conversational with questions such as "I see you did X/Y/Z at University, tell me about this..." As I have only prepared for competency-based questions up to this point, I was hoping whether you might have any advice on going about preparing/structuring answers to these questions?

My train of thought is to give an overview of my day-to-day responsibilities in each role (should I get asked) as well as what I enjoyed about the role. Would really be grateful if you might have any tips and what I can do to steer the direction of my interview!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker! I have an AC coming up with a US law firm and have been informed that the AC will be revolved around my CV and anything that I have written. I do not think the interview will involve a checklist of questions but will be more conversational with questions such as "I see you did X/Y/Z at University, tell me about this..." As I have only prepared for competency-based questions up to this point, I was hoping whether you might have any advice on going about preparing/structuring answers to these questions?

My train of thought is to give an overview of my day-to-day responsibilities in each role (should I get asked) as well as what I enjoyed about the role. Would really be grateful if you might have any tips and what I can do to steer the direction of my interview!
    The questions are much more likely to direct you to what specifically you will be asked about with each type of evidence on your CV, so I don’t think you need to give browsers answers like this where you have to cover your responsibilities and what you enjoyed.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    The questions are much more likely to direct you to what specifically you will be asked about with each type of evidence on your CV, so I don’t think you need to give browsers answers like this where you have to cover your responsibilities and what you enjoyed.
    @WiseOwl I agree with Jessica! I don’t know the firm you’re interviewing with but questions I’ve gotten in the past have been “which of your work experiences did you feel you gained the most from and why”, “why do you think you were nominated for X award”, “what skills from X role do you think apply as a solicitor”, “you did an internship with X, why not that career instead of law”. I’ve had different kinds of questions based on my extracurriculars as well.

I don’t think there’s a structure because it depends on the question, it also sounded more natural because I hadn’t prepped answers to the specific questions (all of which you probably can’t predict). My advice is to go over your CV and reflect (you don’t necessarily have to write it down) on what you did, why you did it, what you learnt, what you enjoyed and didn’t enjoy, etc. The questions may not ask these directly but thinking about your experiences this way can help.

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 10, 2021
    Hey @Crystal86,

First of all, huge congratulations for being progressed to the AC at HSF. I loved my interview (it was one of the best interview that I did when I was applying and I am still in touch with my interviewer I enjoyed it so much!).

In terms of tips, this post includes my approach to ACs in general. @James Carrabino's post here is also fantastic and is definitely worth a read (check out his post about dealing with nerves prior to your AC if appropriate too).

For HSF-specific tips, this and this post should be helpful (although the second is more about how I found the experience so perhaps is less useful than the first!). I would also highly recommend Jake Schogger's Training Contract Handbook as well as Watson's Daily for brushing up on your commercial awareness. Neville provided some fantastic advice in some posts too (1., 2., 3., 4., 5.)

Please do let me know if I can be of any further help!

Hey @VS513,

TCLA's Beating the Watson Glaser Test course is fantastic. It was developed by Joe Mallet independently (I actually purchased it when I was applying) and really benefitted from it.

Hey @legalgyal100,

I don't think you have anything to lose honestly. Jess may disagree with me on this, but if it were me, and I was keen to find out to make the best decision for my future career, I would definitely email to ask! 🔥
    Thanks @George Maxwell would you recommend asking the interviewer questions in the scenario interview for HSF?

Reactions: George Maxwell
    D

Deleted member 11671

Hi, I recently had this experience while interviewing for a US law firm. One thing I did was to keep relating back with regard to how this experience has been useful in developing a transferable skill relevant to commercial law. I also showed that I spent time cultivating genuine interests outside my studies.

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and S87

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    Ropes PFO

mamma mia GIF by Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.