TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarai

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2021
Guide to answering why this firm/how to research firms.

Hi everyone. I've become more strategic in how I'm approaching VS/TC applications so I thought I'd send my template. In every column I put down (in my personal version) a factor about a firm that was important/interesting to me e.g. secondments, diversity, IP seat etc. By doing this it was easier to decide whether I actually liked a firm or just the idea of them. I used legal cheek most list, chambers/legal 500 and chambers student to fill this out. Also by doing this, you also have some research you can use for your apps. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
So Ropes asks us to do a test before going to the AC, but after finishing the test and seeing my report I feel like there's no point going to the AC anymore loll.

Especially when you have another AC on the following day..

• 🤝
Reactions: djqb and Adrian_S

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone, I have just posted a new thread that I intend to update weekly about my personal experiences with different components of the law firm interview process - my post for Week 1 was about my experiences with video interviews! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :)

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
i wasn’t successful so maybe take this with a pinch of salt but from my feedback I was told in the scenario interviews my answers were not structured enough, I didn’t ask any clarifying questions on the cases they explained and I didn’t deliver advice to the clients with enough confidence.

My biggest tip would honestly be to treat the scenario more as a conversation where you are constantly clarifying pieces of information in order to get the best outcome for the client and what they exaclty want. I treated it far too much like a q&a with a correct answer at the end.
Thank you so much I really appreciate the tips!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
If I have an offer for a vac scheme in July, is it reasonable to ask for an early response from grad rec from firms that have been ghosting me post-VI/post-WG but have not invited me to AC? I'm aware that grad rec would be understanding of candidates who have attended ACs but haven't heard back post-AC and are under pressure to decide between a potential offer post-AC vs their existing offer from another firm, but is it rude to ask for an update before you're even invited to AC?

@Jessica Booker was wondering if you have any thoughts on this from a graduate recruiter's perspective?
Hey @jo,

I don't think that there is any harm in emailing! Jess might differ from me on this, but if you are keen to find out about your applications, this might serve as a nudge to the firms who are yet to get back to you!

Does anyone know how long firms generally take to send over the written offer for a VS following the phone call?
Hey @ek125712,

For me this took between a few days to a couple of weeks. How long has it been since you were offered the scheme on the phone?

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2021
Should you expect a response to you emailing a firm to accept a vac scheme offer and sending them your completed personal details form? I sent my response about a week ago and haven’t had a reply so was wondering whether that’s normal or should I ask them whether they received my email?

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Should you expect a response to you emailing a firm to accept a vac scheme offer and sending them your completed personal details form? I sent my response about a week ago and haven’t had a reply so was wondering whether that’s normal or should I ask them whether they received my email?
    This happened to my HL offer and I asked them about it, they responded that it was received (so I suppose they don't write back to confirm). But just to be sure you can write to them and ask. :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Law2021vacschemer

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hey @jo,

I don't think that there is any harm in emailing! Jess might differ from me on this, but if you are keen to find out about your applications, this might serve as a nudge to the firms who are yet to get back to you!

Hey @ek125712,

For me this took between a few days to a couple of weeks. How long has it been since you were offered the scheme on the phone?
    It’s only been 3 days but just wanted to see

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    White & Case VI - appreciate any tips! 🥰
    Hey @YUKI1201,

If you would like more generic VI advice, let me know and I can point you towards some of TCLA's resources for VIs in general.

In terms of W&C VI tips, my advice (based on doing the VI in 2021) would be to consider the firm's overall global strategy, be comfortable talking about the three whys and consider some basic competence questions!

I hope that helps 💪

Reactions: S30
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.