TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_cat

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 21, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker! I have an AC coming up with a US law firm and have been informed that the AC will be revolved around my CV and anything that I have written. I do not think the interview will involve a checklist of questions but will be more conversational with questions such as "I see you did X/Y/Z at University, tell me about this..." As I have only prepared for competency-based questions up to this point, I was hoping whether you might have any advice on going about preparing/structuring answers to these questions?

My train of thought is to give an overview of my day-to-day responsibilities in each role (should I get asked) as well as what I enjoyed about the role. Would really be grateful if you might have any tips and what I can do to steer the direction of my interview!
Hi, I recently had this experience while interviewing for a US law firm. One thing I did was to keep relating back with regard to how this experience has been useful in developing a transferable skill relevant to commercial law. I also showed that I spent time cultivating genuine interests outside my studies.

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell and S87

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
Ropes PFO

mamma mia GIF by Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I did know most of that but not insulted in the least, always good to share information. And everything in the corporate holding structure of a given acquisition will be a special purpose vehicle (SPV) - funds I guess also but it seems like more precise language (or just 'fund') is usually used in that context.

Would be careful with the GP liability point though - I don't think that GPs are on the hook for the financial liabilities of operating companies, there are many many discrete corporate entities with limited liability in between the GP and the opco. I'm fairly certain you could bankrupt a portfolio company and walk away unscathed, that liability shouldn't reach into the rest of the fund, much less the individual partners. I think PE firms will sometimes get dinged on regulatory grounds for opco activities, but I'm pretty sure they aren't liable in a broad sense for their portfolio companies.
Coming back on this to correct myself as I've had to do some research on partnership and funds recently, and I hate being wrong on the Internet - the GP *is* liable in a limited partnership, *but* will often itself be a corporate entity with limited liability for its owners, shielding them from many forms of liability - and will likely maintain minimal capital and assets in its own name. Liability is also generally limited downstream as topcos, midcos etc. will be corporate entities with limited liability down the ownership structure so the default of an opco/portco shouldn't impact other fund assets.

Reactions: George Maxwell

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
does anyone have any advice for answering a question about when you've paid attention to detail? i've never really had a job where I've had to proof read or anything similar - does anyone have any examples of what they use? my last resort is discussing something uni related but i'd rather not because it'd kinda have to really tailor something to fit where it doesn't if that makes sense!

WiseOwl

Oct 12, 2021
Thank you @Jessica Booker @summer207 @curious_cat - I am just wondering, if I keep relating my experiences back to commercial law when they ask me about my CV, would it seem very contrived? I've broken down my CV into what I enjoyed about my experiences and the skills I gained but am not sure if it would always be necessary to make the link back to commercial law? :) Interested in hearing your thoughts!

WiseOwl

Oct 12, 2021
Also, when speaking about specific deals (maybe I can loop @George Maxwell in here too), would you have any advice as to how much detail we should have? Some parts of the deal (other than what is public knowledge) may be confidential, so how can we substantiate our answer? Is it worth talking about the impact of the deal/company on the industry? Interested in hearing your thoughts!

show_me_the_tc

• Nov 17, 2021
    Hi everyone, I am preparing for an AC next week and I'm really struggling to prepare for the commercial questions, specifically "how will (X topical issue) affect our clients?" I'm specifically trying to prepare to answer this with regard to the Ukraine conflict and the supply chain issues. Does anybody have any good tips for understanding how commercial issues affect law firm clients? Thanks :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Also, when speaking about specific deals (maybe I can loop @George Maxwell in here too), would you have any advice as to how much detail we should have? Some parts of the deal (other than what is public knowledge) may be confidential, so how can we substantiate our answer? Is it worth talking about the impact of the deal/company on the industry? Interested in hearing your thoughts!
    I think that linking deals to broader industry trends is a smart way to go - it does the service of showing a fairly sophisticated understanding of what partners and clients are thinking about. One trick with this is to avoid overreach and overgeneralisation, and I would expect to be grilled on any broader comments on the market. That said, it's probably in many ways easier to make a broad comment on market context and implications than to dig into the nitty-gritty of deals which, as you've mentioned, are not publicised in granular fashion. The expectation won't be the you've got expert knowledge so don't sweat it too much, you should acquit yourself well with basic knowledge, sense and the courage of your convictions.

Reactions: George Maxwell and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you @Jessica Booker @summer207 @curious_cat - I am just wondering, if I keep relating my experiences back to commercial law when they ask me about my CV, would it seem very contrived? I've broken down my CV into what I enjoyed about my experiences and the skills I gained but am not sure if it would always be necessary to make the link back to commercial law? :) Interested in hearing your thoughts!
    I don’t think you do have to link your experiences back to commercial law unless explicitly asked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.