TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jellybelly829

Jan 23, 2022
I have my training contract interview coming up in the next couple of weeks at Slaughter and May and I'm very aware that the majority of the interview will be based on my CV. After initially applying, I reached out to grad recruitment in order to reupload my CV, as I'd uploaded the incorrect one. However, now I have noticed that there is a small spelling error on this CV ('on' instead of 'of). Slaughter and May are obviously renowned for reinforcing the importance of attention to detail and I'm so worried that this could jeopardise my chances.

However, on the other hand, I'm worried about unnecessarily highlighting to grad recruitment that I've had to change my CV upload twice now. I know this seems like a small problem but any insight/advice would be hugely appreciated!

Reactions: George Maxwell

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I have my training contract interview coming up in the next couple of weeks at Slaughter and May and I'm very aware that the majority of the interview will be based on my CV. After initially applying, I reached out to grad recruitment in order to reupload my CV, as I'd uploaded the incorrect one. However, now I have noticed that there is a small spelling error on this CV ('on' instead of 'of). Slaughter and May are obviously renowned for reinforcing the importance of attention to detail and I'm so worried that this could jeopardise my chances.

However, on the other hand, I'm worried about unnecessarily highlighting to grad recruitment that I've had to change my CV upload twice now. I know this seems like a small problem but any insight/advice would be hugely appreciated!
    I don't think this will affect your chances at all, just focus on doing your best rather than over thinking smaller issues.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey! I'm involved in a university society and we're organising a law event. A firm I've applied to are experts on the specific topic of the event and I think they'd be great to reach out to. Is there anything wrong with me reaching out to grad rec about this given I am an applicant?
    Not at all! Just come armed with information (timings, date, who the audience will be etc).

• Love
    Reactions: AP2000 and GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

No need to highlight it or change it. Most people’s CV will have a mistake in it somewhere

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    What are people's thoughts on using prior experiences in strengths-based interviews? Like, if you get asked a 'what would you do' scenario, is it best to just say what you would do and explain your thought process or should you also use examples of similar situations you've dealt with in the past?

Reactions: GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    What are people's thoughts on using prior experiences in strengths-based interviews? Like, if you get asked a 'what would you do' scenario, is it best to just say what you would do and explain your thought process or should you also use examples of similar situations you've dealt with in the past?
    I like a mix of both but try to keep it short

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It isn't really needed in my opinion - with a "what would you do" scenario question anyway - might be different with other strengths-based questions.

I'd much prefer to hear why you came to that conclusion in that hypothetical situation, rather than what you did in the past. The circumstances in the past will be different and just because you took a certain approach previously, doesn't; mean it translates to this situation. You have to be very confident that it does if you do use it.

lawcurious

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2021
    for my A&O AC my feedback was that i shouldve reflected back on my experiences when trying to answer the questions (it was a scenario based interview for context) so I'm not sure but i guess it wouldn't hurt to refer back to previous experiences?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.