TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I know there’s nothing I can do right now but wait for the law firms to respond (whether it is a rejection or acceptance), but I still can’t help but constantly think about applications and just anxiously awaiting every email/call. How do I take my mind off it? It’s my first cycle and it’s been so stressful :’(
You're already anxious, don't add the pressure of the need to stop feeling anxious on top of it.

Accept you're nervous/anxious and give yourself some space to feel your emotions. Try and do non-law things or things that distract you productively so you still feel like you're doing something. Exercise, pursuing a hobby, picking up a new hobby etc. may help.

I painted some pretty horrendous artwork for the two weeks that I was waiting to hear from my firm and while I absolutely littered my parents' house with them, they did help take my mind off and focus my anxiety towards something that wasn't related to applications.

Wishing you the best 😇

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
I'm confused as to how I should communicate to grad rec about multiple vac scheme offers. Please can anyone provide guidance?

I have vac scheme offers from firm A and firm B. Firm B offered a place which runs from the second to fourth week of july (dates already confirmed).

Firm A's vac scheme was advertised as a july scheme. Was planning to ask firm B to transfer me to their june scheme (third week of june to first week of july) so i can still join firm A in july. I called firm A to check if the dates clash with firm B's scheme. They said that exact scheme dates have not been confirmed and that I should just be ready to join firm A's scheme from 1st july if I choose to accept the offer.

When I asked about firm A's scheme dates, i did mention that it was because im trying to decide between two offers, that I am still keen on joining firm A, and would like to see if the dates clash so I can finalise which scheme(s) to join. I also mentioned that I have until 11 March to give firm B a final decision. Firm A sent me a formal offer letter, but on the letter says the scheme is from June to July (but no exact dates) - which made me even more confused. It's been several days but I've had no response about my query about scheme dates. I may call them again on Monday to explain that I don't think I can accept the offer if I don't know the exact duration that I am committing to firm A - is this something reasonable to ask for? I don't want to come across as pushy or irritating :'(

I spoke to a friend (who's in engineering, not law) about this the other day and he said that maybe I shouldn't have disclosed to firm A about having an offer from another firm, as it may make firm A think that i value them less, and thus look less committed to the role. He said that I could have just asked for scheme dates without telling them that I have another offer.

I explained to him that:
- in law, it's common for candidates to rotate between multiple firms in one summer because our schemes are much shorter (unlike internships/summer placements in other industries that typically stretch beyond 4 weeks?). so grad rec at law firms are normally aware that candidates often have to decide between competing offers, so it probably doesn't surprise them when candidates ask for an early response or for more information whilst being transparent about competing offers
- I have a deadline to accept the offer from firm B, so i really needed firm A to confirm scheme dates soon for me to make a decision. if i don't tell firm A about my offer from firm B, i wouldn't be able to explain why I need a response so urgently.

However, his comment did make me doubt whether I'm making a bad impression with firm A, which is why I'm wondering:
1. What is 'best practice' when it comes to communicating to grad rec about these things? Is being transparent about having other offers the best way to go about it? Or is there generally no need to disclose info about other offers (unless grad rec asks)?
2. Does transparency help take the guesswork out from grad rec's end (i.e. they know to expedite review of your application because they are aware that you are under pressure from another firm to make a decision) or does having this information make no difference for grad rec?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
I know there’s nothing I can do right now but wait for the law firms to respond (whether it is a rejection or acceptance), but I still can’t help but constantly think about applications and just anxiously awaiting every email/call. How do I take my mind off it? It’s my first cycle and it’s been so stressful :’(
My best advice will be to fill your time with other things like sports, hobbies, time with loved ones, studies, Netflix, Fifa, there’s a lot.. or maybe you can spend time improving your commercial awareness. You’re gonna be okay!

• 🤝
Reactions: George Maxwell

s10

Distinguished Member
Oct 1, 2020
congrats! it's like waiting for a one bus and then suddenly two come at once! good luck with your upcoming vac schemes :)
absolutely! I also feel its extremely pertinent to point out that this is currently my third year of applications, and I have been rejected for every vac scheme I ever applied to in the last 2 years before I got to this point. In fact, I even contemplated taking the year out of applications and trying different industries because I felt I clearly did not have what law firms are looking for.

So if any of you are in the same position as me, its absolutely alright. This is the journey. Take a break if you need to, focus on yourself if thats what you want. We will all eventually make it <3

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm confused as to how I should communicate to grad rec about multiple vac scheme offers. Please can anyone provide guidance?

I have vac scheme offers from firm A and firm B. Firm B offered a place which runs from the second to fourth week of july (dates already confirmed).

Firm A's vac scheme was advertised as a july scheme. Was planning to ask firm B to transfer me to their june scheme (third week of june to first week of july) so i can still join firm A in july. I called firm A to check if the dates clash with firm B's scheme. They said that exact scheme dates have not been confirmed and that I should just be ready to join firm A's scheme from 1st july if I choose to accept the offer.

When I asked about firm A's scheme dates, i did mention that it was because im trying to decide between two offers, that I am still keen on joining firm A, and would like to see if the dates clash so I can finalise which scheme(s) to join. I also mentioned that I have until 11 March to give firm B a final decision. Firm A sent me a formal offer letter, but on the letter says the scheme is from June to July (but no exact dates) - which made me even more confused. It's been several days but I've had no response about my query about scheme dates. I may call them again on Monday to explain that I don't think I can accept the offer if I don't know the exact duration that I am committing to firm A - is this something reasonable to ask for? I don't want to come across as pushy or irritating :'(

I spoke to a friend (who's in engineering, not law) about this the other day and he said that maybe I shouldn't have disclosed to firm A about having an offer from another firm, as it may make firm A think that i value them less, and thus look less committed to the role. He said that I could have just asked for scheme dates without telling them that I have another offer.

I explained to him that:
- in law, it's common for candidates to rotate between multiple firms in one summer because our schemes are much shorter (unlike internships/summer placements in other industries that typically stretch beyond 4 weeks?). so grad rec at law firms are normally aware that candidates often have to decide between competing offers, so it probably doesn't surprise them when candidates ask for an early response or for more information whilst being transparent about competing offers
- I have a deadline to accept the offer from firm B, so i really needed firm A to confirm scheme dates soon for me to make a decision. if i don't tell firm A about my offer from firm B, i wouldn't be able to explain why I need a response so urgently.

However, his comment did make me doubt whether I'm making a bad impression with firm A, which is why I'm wondering:
1. What is 'best practice' when it comes to communicating to grad rec about these things? Is being transparent about having other offers the best way to go about it? Or is there generally no need to disclose info about other offers (unless grad rec asks)?
2. Does transparency help take the guesswork out from grad rec's end (i.e. they know to expedite review of your application because they are aware that you are under pressure from another firm to make a decision) or does having this information make no difference for grad rec?
Firms expect people to get multiple offers. They should be having these conversations with candidates all the time. It is not an issue to disclose other offers to graduate recruitment. The exception might be if they are at vastly different firms (eg high street criminal firm vs US PE firm).

Firm B might not confirm the dates for the exact reason you are asking. They may have to balance lots of conflicting offers and therefore may be trying to wait it out and find the best set of dates possible. However there could be a whole host of reasons why they can’t confirm the date yet - it may even be down to the graduate recruitment team’s availability and being unsure whether they will be available in the summer to cover the scheme dates.

Telling them doesn’t necessary expedite the process though. It’s just another variable they end up having to consider when they are told. How much consideration they put on it is hard to determine.

You can accept and then renege an offer so you could accept both offers and turn down one of them if the scheme dates clash.

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    absolutely! I also feel its extremely pertinent to point out that this is currently my third year of applications, and I have been rejected for every vac scheme I ever applied to in the last 2 years before I got to this point. In fact, I even contemplated taking the year out of applications and trying different industries because I felt I clearly did not have what law firms are looking for.

So if any of you are in the same position as me, its absolutely alright. This is the journey. Take a break if you need to, focus on yourself if thats what you want. We will all eventually make it <3
    Thank you for your honesty and transparency! :)

user0102

Junior Lawyer
    Jan 25, 2022
    Hi all, I would appreciate some advice here.

I did an interview at firm A for a direct TC a few days ago, and whilst scheduling the interview, the HR told me: "Please let me know if you do have other offers and need to make speedy decisions, we would be happy to expedite the process."

Today, I received another interview invite from firm B (scheduled on 16 March). Do you think this is sufficient reason to reach out to the HR of firm A and inform them of the upcoming interview in the hopes that they expedite the process (despite this not being an "offer")?

As interview preparations can be quite time-consuming, I really hope to hear back from firm A before 16 March so that if accepted, I do not have to attend the interview at firm B at all. But then again, I am aware that an interview invite is not an offer, so it may be premature to be reaching out to firm A at this point.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this, thanks!

@Jessica Booker

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Thanks everyone who advised me about accommodation in London! I've been able to find some hotels with good transport links and some uni halls :) However, I haven't been able to find any student facebook chats for stuff like this, so by chance does anyone know/is anyone in a FB chat for vac schemers looking to go splits on accommodation this summer? Please pm me!

• 🏆
    Reactions: law23 and AvniD

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Just got a freshfields post AC PFO with an offer for feedback over the phone in April. can you still apply to the training contract this round or is that not advised?
    unfortunately, you can only apply once per academic year. but i hope at least one of your other apps works out before then!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.