TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Are you sure? I’ve applied to A&O in the past and they usually get back to you straight away stating if you’ve passed or not.
Also, have you logged into your portal? Usually it shows you if you got to the next stage or not.
I know most firms get back to you post SJT- I know from experience with links, and from when I applied to HSF a couple years back but got rejected immediately after finishing the SJT. However, I don't think I've ever heard anything from A&O.

This is what I see on my portal:
1631203778105.png

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Are you sure? I’ve applied to A&O in the past and they usually get back to you straight away stating if you’ve passed or not.
Also, have you logged into your portal? Usually it shows you if you got to the next stage or not.
Actually, now that you mention it, I received an email last year when I applied! This told me I'd passed the SJT.

I haven't heard anything this year though.

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
Jan 6, 2021
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows whether the cover letter for Travers Smith requires all the standard formalities (e.g., addresses at the top), or if it is okay to just launch into 'Dear X' and a sign off? Thank you in advance!

hrb_pg

Star Member
Jul 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone knows whether the cover letter for Travers Smith requires all the standard formalities (e.g., addresses at the top), or if it is okay to just launch into 'Dear X' and a sign off? Thank you in advance!
Two cycles ago, I applied to TS, got an interview for their VS, and I did the latter. If I recall correctly, it was a box type of answer(rather than submitting an attached cover letter), so I think Dear X is fine(certainly was in my case)

Reactions: OB

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    This might be a silly question but with the Ashurst VS application, for the question about yourself, your skills, achievements etc (750 words) - should I also mention grades and specific work I did in those modules? Or is it just for co-curriculars etc? thanks!
    Hi, what were the other questions in the Ashurst VS application?

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hey, on the supplementary questions in the Traver Smith application (after the cover letter), have you guys answered them in prose in bullet points. (There is an option of bullet points in the text box they provide)

The questions are:
    • Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.*
    • Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere*

@Jacob Miller I believe you're a future trainee at the firm so would be great to hear your take.

Last edited:

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hey, on the supplementary questions in the Traver Smith application (after the cover letter), have you guys answered them in prose in bullet points. (There is an option of bullet points in the text box they provide)

The questions are:
    • Please give details of your main extra-curricular activities and leisure interests.*
    • Please give details of any positions of responsibility and achievements or awards at school, university or elsewhere*

@Jacob Miller I believe you're a future trainee at the firm so would be great to hear your take.
    Hey, I'm not sure if Jacob is still around on the forums but I'm also a future trainee at the firm so will attempt to answer! I answered these in prose and would generally always default to this as a personal preference. I think that @Jessica Booker has previously said that if a form allows bullets points, it would generally be acceptable to use them.

Reactions: Dheepa and OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, I'm not sure if Jacob is still around on the forums but I'm also a future trainee at the firm so will attempt to answer! I answered these in prose and would generally always default to this as a personal preference. I think that @Jessica Booker has previously said that if a form allows bullets points, it would generally be acceptable to use them.
    Yes - that’s my general advice.

Basically if you have to copy in bullet points, I wouldn’t use them, but if you can choose a bullet format (like you can choose a bold or italic format on here), then it’s fine to use.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.