TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Totally agree. I think the only way to get clarity on this is to send them a direct email. I know that A&O for the past 5 years at least have recruited on a rolling basis so I'd be surprised if they changed their strategy.

It could be that some opps are recruited on a rolling basis and some aren't ?
    I was pretty certain they were rolling and it even says so like on your link but for the winter vac scheme. But I was at a Legal Cheek webinar last week and a member of grad rec actually said winter vac was non-rolling! I was super confused but have noticed it's not generally on their website anymore about rolling, just the line when you click apply. I've also noticed no one has heard yet if they've passed the SJT which is normally straightaway. So still up in the air really. Wish I could've sat on my app a bit more if I knew it wasn't rolling!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Guys is it okay to mention HSF instead of Herbert Smith Freehills in the application answer.
    Yep!

I always use the rule that if the firm brands themselves with a certain acronym, then I can use that without explaining it.

For example, I'd say "I want to apply to HSF because..." - because that's an acronym used by HSF in all their firm branding.
    I wouldn't say "I want to apply to Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF) because...".

I wouldn't say "I want to apply to FBD because..." - because this isn't an acronym used by Freshfields.

Cover Letters, where you're judged more on your sentence structure and prose, I'd probably do what was suggested above ^:
    "I want to apply to Herbert Smith Freehills (HSF) because..."

Reactions: OB

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Anyone have any tips for the Simmons & Simmons SJT. I did it last year and found it one of the worst ones yet. I know that having a list of competencies the firm looks for and remaining consistent in your answers are key but just interested to see if anyone has any further tips?

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    The HSF application includes the following question:

Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (300 words)

Does this also encapsulate the 'why law' question or should I just focus on HSF?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills? (300 words)

Does this also encapsulate the 'why law' question or should I just focus on HSF?

Thank you!
    I’d just focus on why HSF based on the word count you have.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018

Thank you!
    Hey,

Personal opinion, I do not think the question is asking why law, it is simple asking why you are interested in a career at HSF? Practice areas, deals, type of tc structure, people you met or culture and so on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.