TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter315

Standard Member
Sep 16, 2021
If I have completed work experience at a different top city law firm than the one I am applying to should I state the name of the firm on a cover letter? I am worried this might make it seem like I have a greater interest in the other firm. Or is this standard practice? Thanks!

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    for the HSF app where it says 'introduce us to a topic you know about and why it interests you' what kind of thing would I include here, it sounds stupid but I've forgotten all my interests lol

Reactions: ellwilsen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    for the HSF app where it says 'introduce us to a topic you know about and why it interests you' what kind of thing would I include here, it sounds stupid but I've forgotten all my interests lol
    Literally can be anything - seen breeds of dog, martial arts, wine tasting, specific charities, a type of architecture at a point in history, poetry, psychology, horticulture. Just pick something you get a bit buzzy about.

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    If I have completed work experience at a different top city law firm than the one I am applying to should I state the name of the firm on a cover letter? I am worried this might make it seem like I have a greater interest in the other firm. Or is this standard practice? Thanks!
    It's fine to mention it if it relates to your work experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Definitely include names - it can come across as purposely vague if you don’t name your employers.

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    When describing responsibilities during prior work experience, is it okay to also intertwine skills gained from these experiences?

I know some firms specifically state that they only want factual descriptions (what I would assume to mean without the inclusion of my perception on what skills have been gained) but, where a firm simply asks for 'more detail on responsibilities', should I stick to the facts or should I intertwine skills into it?

Thank you!

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    I am currently constructing my plan for my 'interesting topic' for HSF's application and I am planning to discuss FGM. As this question is about the topic and your own interest in it, would it be going outside the brief to relate it back to HSF?

More specifically, can I raise it as something I would like to act as an activist for within the firm/ suggest the UK office get involved via Pro Bono? The New York office already supports a gender violence charity and the firm has a strong record for advancing women in the workplace through gender pay gap reviews etc. I don't know if this is just going a bit too far or missing the point?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I am currently constructing my plan for my 'interesting topic' for HSF's application and I am planning to discuss FGM. As this question is about the topic and your own interest in it, would it be going outside the brief to relate it back to HSF?

More specifically, can I raise it as something I would like to act as an activist for within the firm/ suggest the UK office get involved via Pro Bono? The New York office already supports a gender violence charity and the firm has a strong record for advancing women in the workplace through gender pay gap reviews etc. I don't know if this is just going a bit too far or missing the point?
    Personal opinion: you do not need to relate it back to HSF. I have attended a bunch of events where the GR stated "write about something that you like" I know someone who wrote about mountain climbing and her favourite techniques. They do not want to see your knowledge about the firm or any specific about the corporate world. The question is a chance to show your drafting skills and your personality.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There is no need to relate it back to HSF, no matter what the topic is. If there is some form of direct link, then that’s fine, but you don’t have to force the link in for the sake of it.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Received an invite for the Simmons & Simmons written exercise and vid interview. Would love to hear about other people's experience if anyone has done it.
    I found both quite straightforward, especially after the horror of those tests. You don’t get much time for the writing test so keep an eye on the timer (but I didn’t think the amount of material was unreasonable). For the video interview, prepare the usual motivation and situational judgment questions. Good luck!

Reactions: LL

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does the ashurst personal statement have to be addressed to anyone like in a cover letter?
    In previous years, they've mentioned it should be addressed to the head of GR a Mr. Nick Wong. I'd email GR to double check just in case.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    How long were peoples Slaughter & May cover letters? (word count wise)
    I'd aim for about 750 words max. My successful app with them was about 600 words long. At events, GR always say that the CL is more an oppurtunity for you to highlight anything you feel your CV alone doesn't do justice to.

Reactions: Jaysen

PM2021

Star Member
    Dec 18, 2020
    Hey, so if a firm asks to describe the nature of work in 150 words, how should I go about it? Bullet point is better or is paragraph better? Can someone give me a hypothetical example? or any websites/pages where I can get to know more about how to write work experience?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.