TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi! I'm new to this forum and very glad it exists :)

Background: Biology graduate based in London looking to become a patent/IP attorney (need anymore info, let me know!)

I wanted to get some guidance from those who can provide some.

I recently applied for the Bristows STEM IP Workshop and received an email today to let me know that I have not been successful to attend. I thought it went okay. I was a bit nervous and just am generally, but prepared my answers for each question and thought I did well at answering each one, although for two of the questions I was quite brief.

Has anyone applied for a Bristows workshop this year and able to offer some tips on what they did to get through and what they may not have done well to get them through?

Also, does this mean I am automatically disqualified from applying for their TC as I would be noted on their system as having failed getting through to the workshop?

Also, anyone know of any other IP law firms based in London?

Any help and guidance would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Can't speak to Bristows specifically but in general failure to secure a place on open days or workshops has no bearing on TC eligibility - it certainly isn't read as some sort of stain on your record.

mckelly

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 19, 2020
I've committed the sin of spelling a partner's name in the final paragraph of my cover letter for the Slaughter and May application wrong. This is the only spelling mistake in my application - will it be wholly detrimental to my application?

Reactions: GXA123

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
So I did the Simmons logical and verbal reasoning tests and I think the logical one went well as far as I am aware. However, I think I may have got 3 questions wrong on the verbal reasoning test, one of which was by mistake as I thought it asked me to select two, however, I needed to select one, so by the time the timer went down I selected another and that removed my other answer, which was the only one needed :(.

How do you think that will affect my chances? Will they screen the results alongside the VI/written exercise or is there a certain benchmark you have to reach on the tests first? Also, do you receive a report for the Simmons verbal and logical reasoning tests?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Guys, sorry for asking this again. Clyde & Co's WVS is supposed to start next week, and I have not received any update after the initial screening VI - can I safely assume it is a PFO or deferral? (grad rec has not replied yet)
I would assume so unfortunately. It would be practically no time to onboard you (which usually requires at least two weeks).

It’s not an impossibility that you could still be in consideration, I just think it’s very unlikely at this late stage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've committed the sin of spelling a partner's name in the final paragraph of my cover letter for the Slaughter and May application wrong. This is the only spelling mistake in my application - will it be wholly detrimental to my application?
It’s highly unlikely to make a decision on its own, especially if it is a subtle spelling error (eg Thomson vs Thompson).

Reactions: mckelly

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
just received this from Reed Smith;
'Your application is still under review and we will be in touch with you closer to the application deadline which is 10th December.'
Does that mean that I'm basically on a reserve list? 🥲

Reactions: atrumregina1

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Have you acc received the VI or an email that you’ve moved to the next stage and that you will receive it soon?
    Same as others today - an email saying I’ll receive it soon. Has anyone completed it yet? I thought I saw people a few weeks ago preparing for it on here

Anoned

Distinguished Member
    Nov 1, 2021
    Same as others today - an email saying I’ll receive it soon. Has anyone completed it yet? I thought I saw people a few weeks ago preparing for it on here
    I don't think so, one of me mates got an invite a couple of weeks ago now saying the same thing (still setting it up) and hasn't gotten any subsequent emails.

Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    just received this from Reed Smith;
    'Your application is still under review and we will be in touch with you closer to the application deadline which is 10th December.'
    Does that mean that I'm basically on a reserve list? 🥲
    I don’t think you can necessarily draw that conclusion unfortunately. It obviously could be the case, but it could also be that your application hasn’t been reviewed yet. It does mean you are still under consideration though!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.