TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe1512

Nov 26, 2021
Hi guys,

Does anyone who has passed the Simmons verbal and logical tests, as well as the written exercise and video interview which includes: motivational, situational, and competency questions have any key tips/advice for me when taking it within the next 7 days?

Also, you do not have to do both the VI and written exercise with the ability tests (i.e. verbal/logical reasoning) in one go right?

Responses would be helpful!
Hi, I haven't heard back post those tests, but you don't have to do the VI and written exercise with the ability tests all in one go. I took a couple of hours break in between the VI + written exercise and the ability tests.
All the best!

Reactions: Anoned

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Any Clyde PFOs? From what I've heard they're now prepping their spring/summer ACs, as well as holding spring/summer ACs for Academy students in december.

Given that the VI took like an hour of our time (and we only got 3 days notice to frantically prep for it), could they not have at least given us an update email? I'm aware we're lucky to get rejection emails at all, as ghosting is commonplace in most other industries, but still 🤔

• 🤝
Reactions: Hele25, OB and atrumregina1

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Hi! I'm new to this forum and very glad it exists :)

Background: Biology graduate based in London looking to become a patent/IP attorney (need anymore info, let me know!)

I wanted to get some guidance from those who can provide some.

I recently applied for the Bristows STEM IP Workshop and received an email today to let me know that I have not been successful to attend. I thought it went okay. I was a bit nervous and just am generally, but prepared my answers for each question and thought I did well at answering each one, although for two of the questions I was quite brief.

Has anyone applied for a Bristows workshop this year and able to offer some tips on what they did to get through and what they may not have done well to get the through?

Also, does this mean I am automatically disqualified from applying for their TC as I would be noted on their system as having failed getting through to the workshop?

Also, anyone know of any other IP law firms based in London?

Any help and guidance would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Hey! I attended an event with their grad recruitment who specified that the TC and workshop recruitment processes are different and you can apply for the TC within the same intake.

Reactions: raz

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi! I'm new to this forum and very glad it exists :)

Background: Biology graduate based in London looking to become a patent/IP attorney (need anymore info, let me know!)

I wanted to get some guidance from those who can provide some.

I recently applied for the Bristows STEM IP Workshop and received an email today to let me know that I have not been successful to attend. I thought it went okay. I was a bit nervous and just am generally, but prepared my answers for each question and thought I did well at answering each one, although for two of the questions I was quite brief.

Has anyone applied for a Bristows workshop this year and able to offer some tips on what they did to get through and what they may not have done well to get them through?

Also, does this mean I am automatically disqualified from applying for their TC as I would be noted on their system as having failed getting through to the workshop?

Also, anyone know of any other IP law firms based in London?

Any help and guidance would be really helpful!

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum @raz! 🥳

It is great that you are reflecting on what you did well and the things you could improve on. Applications for law events/schemes need a lot of research, good structure, evidence for why you like the career and the firm and high-quality writing. Even if you have all of this, sometimes there are objective reasons why a firm might reject your application- capacity constraints, the volume of applications etc- that are completely out of your hands and are not a reflection on the quality of your application.

Nonetheless, a good place to start with improving your applications is to reflect on whether 1) you evidenced your interest in commercial law, particularly IP law, with your research, initiative to attend law fairs, webinars, speak to firms etc. 2) structured your answers clearly 3) personalised your applications with your motivations for pursuing a career in IP law at that firm.

Does this make sense and do any of the things I've mentioned stand out to you as missing/lacking in your application?

About automatic disqualification- does it say anywhere on their website that you cannot apply for a TC if your application for the workshop is unsuccessful? If this information is not clearly or easily available to you, please reach out to the firm's graduate recruitment so you can get this clarified.

About other London IP firms- I'd recommend looking through Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners for a thorough listing and ranking of these firms. Let me know if you're having difficulty finding them!

Wishing you the very best! Please do stay in touch about your applications and reach out if you have any further questions.

M&M

• Oct 22, 2020
    Hi all,
    I applied for the BCLP Summer VS. I finished the BCLP strengths test around the 1st of Nov and haven't heard back yet. Did anyone do the test around that time and get a response?

Reactions: ellwilsen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.