TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
As I am currently applying to vacation schemes, I wanted to ask a question regarding my first-year grades. I’m currently in my third year.

My first-year grades were terrible. Overall I received a 2:2. My highest grade was 60 and lowest was 42. There are multiple reasons for this, Including some personal circumstances regarding my health.

Though, in my second year, my grades improved significantly. My overall grade was a high 2:1.

I just had a meeting with my personal tutor and he said that “If I’m applying to big city firms, I have to be realistic as they won’t take me because of my first-year grades”. I know full well that firms look at first grades and it could be a reason for a firm to reject me. But does that mean I shouldn’t apply to city firms like HSF? There are so many reasons as to why I want to become a city lawyer but it just feels like those 1st-year grades could hold me back.

I wanted to ask have people with low first-year grades but good 2nd and 3rd-year grades gone on to successfully join big city firms?

Thank you for your help.
I can't speak for every firm but my first year results weren't very strong either, I also received a 2:1 in my second year and managed to pull my grades up to a first when I graduated (my first year grades didn't count towards my degree). I didn't have any extenuating circumstances but I managed to get a TC last cycle and none of the firms I interviewed with last cycle seemed phased by my first year grades so I think as long as you are improving year on year and your applications are strong, you can still attain a TC at a city law firm. A lot of these firms are doing CV blind interviews now and for me, only one firm cycle before last asked about my grades and once I explained it briefly we moved on so I wouldn't hold yourself back from applying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.