TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
By the way everyone, I have just updated my Weekly Application Pitfalls thread here under DECEMBER WEEK 2 for those of you who would like advice on how to avoid common errors in your applications :)

I am updating this post based on the errors I come across frequently throughout my role as a TCLA application reviewer. These are extremely common mistakes and I hope that my post can serve as a checklist of what not to have in your application when you are proofing it prior to submitting!

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    This may sound really silly but for anyone who has applied to Addleshaw Goddard did you put more than 3 work experiences in? The form just states to use the button to add up to three relevant experiences but you add more than three so I just wanted to make sure I do not mess it up.

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    This may sound really silly but for anyone who has applied to Addleshaw Goddard did you put more than 3 work experiences in? The form just states to use the button to add up to three relevant experiences but you add more than three so I just wanted to make sure I do not mess it up.
    I decided to only add 3, thats how i interpreted the wording but no harm in double checking with grad rec. Can I ask whether you provided a module breakdown in your AG application or whether you just entered your overall grade?

Reactions: AvniD and AspiringTrainee

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    I decided to only add 3, thats how i interpreted the wording but no harm in double checking with grad rec. Can I ask whether you provided a module breakdown in your AG application or whether you just entered your overall grade?
    Thank you - I am under the same impression as you but I might double-check with recruitment.

They have not provided anywhere to provide a breakdown in module grades - The only breakdown I've seen is in the Rare Recruitment section and that is GCSE grades. So at the moment, I have just left it as my overall grade.

Reactions: AvniD and tt_xo

CC03

Valued Member
    Nov 24, 2021
    Is this the page you are looking for? The information here is from last year but I would think it is similar this year for the most part
    Movie Popcorn GIF by Pathé

Thank you! @James Carrabino

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Does anyone know what the Mayer Brown application tests are? Also how long after the application can you complete the tests?
    You have a week after they're sent to you to complete them. Test is in two main blocks - SJT, which is similar to those run by other firms, and a verbal reasoning test which is a bit unlike anything I've come across elsewhere as it's split into a few sections which test a broader range of competencies than a Watson Glaser or similar critical test

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019
    You have a week after they're sent to you to complete them. Test is in two main blocks - SJT, which is similar to those run by other firms, and a verbal reasoning test which is a bit unlike anything I've come across elsewhere as it's split into a few sections which test a broader range of competencies than a Watson Glaser or similar critical test
    Thanks so much for the info. Do you know if you automatically get sent the tests after you submit the application (i.e. they form part of the application)? Or do you only get sent the tests after progressing through to the next round?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.