TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Also worth remembering the reason why everyone laughs at their old applications from 2-3 years ago. Whereas their applications now are 100x better.

My application answers from late 2019 were utterly dreadful, and I was on this forum asking similar questions - "what am I doing wrong" etc. As you improve and acclimatise to this process, you start figuring out what graduate recruiters are looking for.

You'll still get a ton of rejections, but the increasing success rate of your applications will be so noticeable that you'll very quickly forget about rejections.
Well said! 😊

Reactions: M777

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    just got a pfo from NRF after initial app... no idea where im going wrong and truly losing hope this cycle :(
    It's still relatively early in the cycle, keep going! I was in a similar position at Christmas last year and then everything turned around in February/March of this year. Give yourself a bit of a break, keep the faith and then keep going when you're mentally fit again 👊

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    It's still relatively early in the cycle, keep going! I was in a similar position at Christmas last year and then everything turned around in February/March of this year. Give yourself a bit of a break, keep the faith and then keep going when you're mentally fit again 👊
    Agreed with this - give yourself a break over christmas then come back to apps with a fresh perspective

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Can I just ask, for those receiving a response from NRF, is this for the summer vacation scheme? I also have the same question for Slaughters is anyone has received a response from them aswell 😂

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Nah, don't. I was getting a metric ton of rejections in september-october and now I'm flying through applications. There's a huge number of firms still recruiting- often it'll be the firms you least expect who decide to take you on. I got Weil VI and Baker WG this cycle after being rejected by them like 3 times previously, so you really never know. Equally, the firms you've put your money on can be the ones who unexpectedly tell you to PFO. I did NRF AC last cycle and in my feedback, they were keenly telling me to re-apply this cycle - got rejected without even a WG test.

Point is this process is unpredictable. You do need to read over your unsuccessful applications though, and see which points are redundant/lacking impact/irrelevant to the question asked - the first question you always have to ask is "What did I do wrong" and "How can I improve this application next time!. It helps to keep a stiff upper lip and remember that rejections are inevitable.

Also worth remembering the reason why everyone laughs at their old applications from 2-3 years ago. Whereas their applications now are 100x better.

My application answers from late 2019 were utterly dreadful, and I was on this forum asking similar questions - "what am I doing wrong" etc. As you improve and acclimatise to this process, you start figuring out what graduate recruiters are looking for.

You'll still get a ton of rejections, but the increasing success rate of your applications will be so noticeable that you'll very quickly forget about rejections.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me - i really do appreciate the comments made. Ive really felt the self-doubt and general negativity start to build up due to my lack of progression thus far and all the rejections ive been getting. Its nice to get some perspective - sending good vibes to everyone, thanks alot and super glad to have this forum!

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    @Jessica Booker @AvniD
    Hi, I’m applying to eversheds this after being rejected last year. I have used the same examples (the questions are below) for two of the questions, that I used last year but I have made major changes and think the responses are stronger for it. I also think the examples used are the best one I have. Do you think this is an acceptable approach or would they expect something completely different? (Not sure if relevant but my university grades have also dramatically improved in the last year)

1- When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced and what energised you about the situation.

2- When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.