TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F99

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2021
Lol apparently hahaha. I also read a few weeks ago that another person had done an AC at A&O too.

A&O are rolling so I completed an AC with them in mid November. I wouldn’t worry if you haven’t heard yet- I’ve heard lots of people have been rejected and lots have been given offers, so you might just be in a maybe pile or they might still be reviewing your app
Nice, have you heard back from them yet if you don't mind me asking?

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Weil VI! First time ever making it past the papercut - any advice on what I should do to prepare?
Hey @Rob93!

This is awesome news. I am really pleased for you. 🥳 🥳

So some personal tips:
  • Definitely practice. Expect to be asked, and therefore practice the following in particular: "why you?", "why commercial law?" and "why Weil?" (the three Ys!). This and this might help with your answers, although if you have got to VI stage you are probably pretty clear on your answers to these already. Make sure you are able to answer fluently and naturally (i.e., confidently but without being robotic).
  • Related to the above, record yourself answering some questions using your laptop webcam (or even on your phone).
  • Take your time. Do not try to fit too much into your answers. It is easy to become distracted by the time you have left. Be succinct and confident in the content of your answers and do not worry if you have time left. The biggest thing is to be clear, measured and confident!
  • Be able to talk about a news story that has caught your eye recently (again succinctly). Think about how this would affect or be relevant for the firm.
  • Be prepared for your answers to be imperfect. Those reviewing your recordings will not be looking for perfection. They will be looking for the ability to communicate well. @Jessica Booker may be able to provide further insight here. After submitting an imperfect answer too, do not kick yourself and be distracted when giving later answers. Move on and focus on what you can change(!).
  • Finally, do not leave your preparation until the last minute. Fluency and confidence will not come overnight. Try to commit some time each day between now and when you need to submit your VI (which probably will not be very long). VIs are easy to put off, but a bit of work invested over the next few days is likely to pay dividends.
Some AWESOME tips from the forum that we have amassed over time:
  1. Some great tips and tricks from @Alice G and practical suggestions from @LEL!
  2. How to set up your surroundings for VIs.
  3. @Dheepa's advice on what to expect from VIs.
  4. @Jaysen's cheat sheet for VIs.
  5. TCLA's general guide on VIs/
  6. How to access TCLA's Video Interview Simulator!
I hope that helps! 🚀

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hey @Rob93!

This is awesome news. I am really pleased for you. 🥳 🥳

So some personal tips:
  • Definitely practice. Expect to be asked, and therefore practice the following in particular: "why you?", "why commercial law?" and "why Weil?" (the three Ys!). This and this might help with your answers, although if you have got to VI stage you are probably pretty clear on your answers to these already. Make sure you are able to answer these questions fluently and naturally (i.e., confidently but without being robotic).
  • Related to the above, record yourself answering some questions using your laptop webcam (or even on your phone).
  • Take your time. Do not try to fit too much into your answers. It is easy to become distracted by the time you have left. Be succinct and confident in the content of your answers and do not worry if you finish early. The biggest thing is to be clear, measured and confident!
  • Be able to talk about a news story that has caught your eye recently (again succinctly). Think about how this would affect or be relevant for the firm.
  • Be prepared for your answers to be imperfect. The people reviewing your recordings will not be looking for perfection. Instead they will be looking for the ability to communicate well.
  • Finally, do not leave your preparation until the last minute. Fluency and confidence will not come overnight so commit a bit of time everyday until you need to submit your VI (which probably will not be very long). VIs are very easy to put off and procrastinate about, but a bit of work invested over the next few days is likely to pay dividends.
Some AWESOME tips from the forum that we have amassed over time:

1. Some great tips and tricks from @Alice G and practical suggestions from @LEL! This thread is gold dust.
  2. How to set up your surroundings for VIs
  3. @Dheepa's advice on what to expect from VIs
  4. @Jaysen's cheat sheet for VIs
  5. TCLA's general guide on VIs
  6. How to access TCLA's Video Interview Simulator!
I hope that helps! 🚀
That's a fantastic roundup, thank you so much!

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

kmax301

Esteemed Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hi!
I wanted to ask about this question.
Are you subject to any obligation which may restrict your ability to be employed, e.g. a non competition agreement with a present or previous employer or a home country residency requirement?*

I'm an international student, should I choose `yes` then?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!
I wanted to ask about this question.
Are you subject to any obligation which may restrict your ability to be employed, e.g. a non competition agreement with a present or previous employer or a home country residency requirement?*

I'm an international student, should I choose `yes` then?
Is it a just a yes/no option or can you select yes or no and then provide detail?

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
I am definitely biased...

But I am so chuffed for you re: HSF! Amazing news!! 🥳🥳

Very happy to answer any questions in the lead up to the AC- just tag me!

In my experience it was one of, if not the, most enjoyable of the interviews I did!

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

What are your best prep tips? I am trying to learn as much as I can about practise areas, deals, general commercial law but I feel like it is all just so much! Also any tips on how I can practice for the interview, my uni do not really offer mock interviews/case studies etc. @George Maxwell @James Carrabino

Thanks in advance!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Opened the forum today to such good news!!! 🥳🥳🥳
Well done all- you've made us so proud!
👏 👏 👏

CMS VI 🥳 Any insight would be appreciated!
Weil VI! First time ever making it past the papercut - any advice on what I should do to prepare?

CMS VI invite :D

If anyone has any insight on the format (i.e. how many questions/how long to answer) and types of questions it would be very appreciated!

Dentons Telephone Interview! Must have somehow done quite well in that WG 😅

Bakers VI! Any info about format of the questions would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone got tips for Baker VI?

Baker McKenzie VI for spring VS!

Hey All - I would be really grateful if someone who has done the Weil VI could share their experience!

My best tips for VIs-
  1. TCLA Q BANK- Practice using this question bank, which was my holy grail during the application process. Trust me, there isn't a more exhaustive resource with interview questions out there.
  2. LOOK INTO THE CAMERA- You can glance at the timer now and then to structure your answer, but always look into the camera while speaking. It takes the focus off of yourself and helps the interviewer feel like you're directing your answer to them, rather than at some random point on the screen.
  3. TONE, CONTENT, DELIVERY- Maintain an even tone, structure your content with a pen and paper into 2-3 points and deliver it at a relaxed, confident pace. This will come with practice (I suggest tagging on to a friend/family/careers service/TCLA VI simulator for help with practice.)
P.S. Would highly recommend y'all to also check out @George Maxwell 's post on preparing for VIs!

Got Bakers WG today. Anyone knows how different psionline is from the usual pearson/GFB ones?
Congratulations @Vacationschemeapps! It was a classic WG in my experience (I took it over a year ago though and don't remember who the provider was). Let me know if you need any help prepping for your test!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Has anyone done the VI for Gowling? If so would really appreciate any advice! :)
Hi @x0.nora98! Congratulations!! 👏👏👏 @George Maxwell and I drafted posts today with our best advice for VIs (they aren't Gowling specific though!)- you can find them here and here. All the best!! Let us know how you get on 😇

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Opened the forum today to such good news!!! 🥳🥳🥳
Well done all- you've made us so proud!
👏 👏 👏

My best tips for VIs-
  1. TCLA Q BANK- Practice using this question bank, which was my holy grail during the application process. Trust me, there isn't a more exhaustive resource with interview questions out there.
  2. LOOK INTO THE CAMERA- You can glance at the timer now and then to structure your answer, but always look into the camera while speaking. It takes the focus off of yourself and helps the interviewer feel like you're directing your answer to them, rather than at some random point on the screen.
  3. TONE, CONTENT, DELIVERY- Maintain an even tone, structure your content with a pen and paper into 2-3 points and deliver it at a relaxed, confident pace. This will come with practice (I suggest tagging on to a friend/family/careers service/TCLA VI simulator for help with practice.)
P.S. Would highly recommend y'all to also check out @George Maxwell 's post on preparing for VIs!

Congratulations @Vacationschemeapps! It was a classic WG in my experience (I took it over a year ago though and don't remember who the provider was). Let me know if you need any help prepping for your test!
Thank you for that!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and djqb
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.