TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User274302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
I am just writing here to suggest an addition to TCLA which I think would be really helpful, and no other student-related law websites (as far as I know) have implemented this so I reckon it could serve to boost site visits too.

A problem many of my friends and peers are encountering with their applications is having their hands tied with a TC offer - for example, they would complete a vac scheme with a firm, and then be given 30 days to accept a TC or lose the offer. In doing this, they end up having to reject vac scheme offers at other firms later on, often with the belief that they may have even preferred that second or third firm they were not able to experience owing to the risk of losing a TC offer.

I think it would be extremely helpful if TCLA set up a separate forum or discussion with a table of all the firms and how long they give their successful applicants to accept a TC offer. This could be done by reaching out to current trainees or offer-holders and simply asking a few of them to ensure verification. This would allow students to apply to firms in a more strategic manner (for example applying for Winter Vac Schemes at the firms that allow a year to accept a TC offer and then Spring 3 months and Summer 1 month) and enhances their overall experience, as their hands will not be tied due to a lack of knowledge when originally applying. They will also get the chance of added experience at multiple firms, to ensure that they make the right choice for them.

Not sure who is best to tag about this, but @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @AvniD @George Maxwell Just a thought I had! Thank you for everything you do, this website has been instrumental to my success so far.

Ks36

Star Member
Dec 14, 2021
Hey everyone, I was applying to Squire Patton Boggs and their website says that non-law applicants should apply in their final year. However, SPB exclusively does the SQE so I don’t know if that would’ve changed, any advice?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Hey everyone, I was applying to Squire Patton Boggs and their website says that non-law applicants should apply in their final year. However, SPB exclusively does the SQE so I don’t know if that would’ve changed, any advice?
This is because non-law applicants still do the PGDL then the SQE so it takes two years whereas law graduates just do the SQE, it says so under sponsorship in the online GR brochure 2021/22.

Reactions: GXA123

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
If you get asked in an interview which other firms you have applied to, should you just list one or two? Or should you list all of the others you’ve applied to?
@Law2021vacschemer they're trying to gauge whether you have a focused interest in commercial law when they ask you these questions, so make sure you list all relevant firms here. There isn't a specific number and there isn't a need to rattle a whole list off either- just a few (up to 5 I'd say) should be fine.

Hi everyone, How much does applying later in on an application actually hurt your chances if the firm is rolling? I.e. do they mean that they send out offers on a first-come first served basis or that they review applications during the application window, but send out offers after the deadline?

I've been really busy with work and did not have time to send applications earlier on and I am really getting nervous that it is going to hurt my chances as I have been applying about 1-2 weeks before the deadlines.

Thank you!!
@ofm just focus on making the best applications you can- firms receive more than half their applications on the deadline, so you're only out of the running if you don't submit! Wishing you the best!🤞

Hi all, Happy New Year!

I was wondering whether anyone could give me guidance on the below:

I am wanting to apply to Trowers & Hamlins LLP for a training contract. The application is due in 10 days for the Vacation Scheme, but I am unsure whether I want to apply for the vac scheme or training contract. I work as a paralegal in a law firm, and have a limited amount of days to take for vacation schemes. I would like to only apply to firms that only really recruit from vacation schemes. I have emailed the grad team asking if they take from direct training contract applications, and they replied:

'Our preference does lean towards the vacation scheme and we tend to recruit the majority of our trainees via that route. However, we do ring-fence positions for this exact reason, so if you are unable to take the annual leave for a vac scheme, please do apply for the training contract.'

Can someone please advise whether I would be in a better chance of applying to the vac scheme? I really love this firm and want to give myself the best possible chance.

Any help will be amazing! Thanks!

@Jessica Booker
@Limanehious since you're working as a paralegal already, your work experience can help you make a really strong TC application. Besides, if you have limited capacity to attend a vacation scheme, there really is very little to gain from putting so many hours of effort into an application, only for you to not be able to make it for the scheme in the end. Plus, the firm has made it clear that they do have ringfenced positions available, so you could go ahead and make a TC application if you feel that suits you best.

Explain how you would add value as a Trainee in the London office of Akin Gump? For this question should you discuss your skills and how you will bring those skills to a role of a trainee solicitor. I was thinking about discussing their fast-growing London office but am not sure if that will be relevant here. Any advice on this will be much appreciated thank you in advance.
Think of/research the core competencies, values and skills that the firm is looking for in their trainees and demonstrate how you embody them. A good way to do this is by stating the value-adding quality ➡️ walking through how you went about developing this ➡️ why this will help you make impactful contributions as a trainee solicitor at the firm (link back with some of the firm's goals, values etc.)

Weil AC 🤩

Quite shocked I thought I bombed that VI!
@JayB Congratulations!!! Just goes to show how we convince ourselves that we bombed even though we've actually done waaaay better in reality😅

Would you say that TCLA's 200 interview questions are enough practice for an interview (https://classes.thecorporatelawacad...uide-to-training-contract/lectures/35978368)? Or is there something else that should be taken into account?
@ap28 while this is the most exhaustive bank of questions I've ever found, it depends from person to person whether it's enough for them. Make sure you practice them with someone (friend, family etc.) to get the most out of them. If you still feel you're lacking in your performance, try practising with a professional at your university careers service, TCLA etc.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Ah thank you - so should I not apply at all
"Who can apply for a place on the vacation scheme?
You must be a penultimate/final-year law student, a final-year non-law student, or have already graduated with a law or non-law degree."

Depends on your current stage, if you haven't yet reached the final year of a non-law degree or graduated then no you are not eligible to apply in this cycle so it would be a wasted application.

Reactions: GXA123 and Ks36

Ks36

Star Member
Dec 14, 2021
"Who can apply for a place on the vacation scheme?
You must be a penultimate/final-year law student, a final-year non-law student, or have already graduated with a law or non-law degree."

Depends on your current stage, if you haven't yet reached the final year of a non-law degree or graduated then no you are not eligible to apply in this cycle so it would be a wasted application.
Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am just writing here to suggest an addition to TCLA which I think would be really helpful, and no other student-related law websites (as far as I know) have implemented this so I reckon it could serve to boost site visits too.

A problem many of my friends and peers are encountering with their applications is having their hands tied with a TC offer - for example, they would complete a vac scheme with a firm, and then be given 30 days to accept a TC or lose the offer. In doing this, they end up having to reject vac scheme offers at other firms later on, often with the belief that they may have even preferred that second or third firm they were not able to experience owing to the risk of losing a TC offer.

I think it would be extremely helpful if TCLA set up a separate forum or discussion with a table of all the firms and how long they give their successful applicants to accept a TC offer. This could be done by reaching out to current trainees or offer-holders and simply asking a few of them to ensure verification. This would allow students to apply to firms in a more strategic manner (for example applying for Winter Vac Schemes at the firms that allow a year to accept a TC offer and then Spring 3 months and Summer 1 month) and enhances their overall experience, as their hands will not be tied due to a lack of knowledge when originally applying. They will also get the chance of added experience at multiple firms, to ensure that they make the right choice for them.

Not sure who is best to tag about this, but @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @AvniD @George Maxwell Just a thought I had! Thank you for everything you do, this website has been instrumental to my success so far.
Hi @mzm777 - although this is a good idea in theory, offer timelines are often not standardised. They can vary between candidates, depending on what time of year it is, where the firm is up to in the recruitment cycle, how soon the individual would need to start their training, and where the candidate might be within their studies. Just because one person has 30 days, doesn't necessarily mean the next person would, and therefore we could be presenting wrong information to people if we were to ask others about their terms and conditions.

Ultimately people can accept and renege TC offers though - so candidates don't necessarily have to miss out on vacation schemes as you have suggested. It would only be if there is a term in their vacation scheme offer that they can't join if they have accepted a TC elsewhere that would stop them from accepting a VS even if they have accepted a TC.

Firms won't like me saying this, but it is exceptionally rare that there is something in your TC offer that would stop you from doing a VS with another firm even if you have accepted their TC, purely where you aren't employed by the firm yet.

For a general rule of thumb, the voluntary code of best recruitment practice sets out what firms should do in terms of offers. However, the code is completely voluntary and many firms don't agree to it. Details of the code can be found here:

Voluntary code of recruitment for trainee solicitors | The Law Society

Last edited:

User274302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2021
Hi @mzm777 - although this is a good idea in theory, offer timelines are often not standardised. They can vary between candidates, depending on what time of year it is, where the firm is up to in the recruitment cycle, how soon the individual would need to start their training, and where the candidate might be within their studies. Just because one person has 30 days, doesn't necessarily mean the next person would, and therefore we could be presenting wrong information to people if we were to ask others about their terms and conditions.

Ultimately people can accept and renege TC offers though - so candidates don't necessarily have to miss out on vacation schemes as you have suggested. It would only be if there is a term in their vacation scheme offer that they can't join if they have accepted a TC elsewhere that would stop them from accepting a VS even if they have accepted a TC.

Firms won't like me saying this, but it is exceptionally rare that there is something stopping you from doing a VS with another firm even if you have accepted a TC, because you aren't employed yet.
Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail. I had no idea it wasn't standardised. That makes sense completely then :) I suppose it's a nice problem for a student to have anyway - having to pick between different vac schemes!

Reactions: Jaysen and GXA123

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail. I had no idea it wasn't standardised. That makes sense completely then :) I suppose it's a nice problem for a student to have anyway - having to pick between different vac schemes!
    Either way, well done for having the courage to make the suggestion! We won't always be able to implement it, but I'm always keen to hear what we could do to make this forum more useful for you.

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    Does anyone have squire patton boggs’ application questions please?
    1) We’d love to know why you are motivated to pursue a career in a commercial law firm, in particular Squire Patton Boggs? (200 words max) *

2) We want to learn more about the skills you have gained from any extra-curricular activities, hobbies, job or work experience. Please select TWO skills from the list below and provide examples of how you have developed these skills in your previous experiences and how these skills will help you in a career in law. (300 words)

• Collaboration • Working independently • Taking responsibility • Showing initiative • Undertaking analysis and research • Problem solving • Self-improvement • Attention to detail • Creativity • Communication • Adaptability

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Veep9 and Asil Ahmad

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

I have been a little quiet on the forum since Christmas due to exam preparation. I will be taking time off until my PGDL exams are over (until the end of next week!). So if I do not reply to queries between now and then that is why.

I know there will be others on here who are also facing exams or mocks in January. If you do have exams, I want to wish you the very best of luck. The same goes for those with interviews and ACs.

My biggest piece of advice for interviews is to prepare ahead of time. Do not to do it all at the last minute. Some aspects of preparation just cannot be done this way (such as keeping up commercial awareness). If you are suffering from procrastination. Try doing it for five minutes. If you really hate it, stop. Take ten minutes and then try again. Repeat this process.

I am looking forward to seeing your successes on my return.

All the best and see you in just over a week! 🚀

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    For the Squire Patton Boggs skills question, would it be best to focus on one work experience per skill, or to give multiple examples from different instances of work experience?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.