TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PF'noooo!

Star Member
Jan 19, 2021
Hi all.

Apologies for the very basic question but I am quite confused. On Monday I received a VI invite for Weil. The email has stated, "to submit your answers before the 15 January 2022 (GMT+00:00)." Does this mean I need to submit my answer, at the latest by 11.59 pm on Saturday? Or does this mean that I need to be submitted by midnight on Friday? TCLA people or @Jessica Booker, do you have any insight on this?

I have another VI this week, so I am trying to fit my preparation around work. I am confused about the submission date for Weil especially as I am trying to prep for well for each VI.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all.

Apologies for the very basic question but I am quite confused. On Monday I received a VI invite for Weil. The email has stated, "to submit your answers before the 15 January 2022 (GMT+00:00)." Does this mean I need to submit my answer, at the latest by 11.59 pm on Saturday? Or does this mean that I need to be submitted by midnight on Friday? TCLA people or @Jessica Booker, do you have any insight on this?

I have another VI this week, so I am trying to fit my preparation around work. I am confused about the submission date for Weil especially as I am trying to prep for well for each VI.
If it is on Launchpad, it actually means 23.59 on 15 January.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker and @AvniD could i ask your help on something?

I am applying to Covington and I need to write about a law that I like to introduce and need to state why I am interested.

I can only think about regulatory issues, do you have any tips on how to approach this kind of question?

Thank you

Reactions: Commerciallaw

GeorgieW

Dec 17, 2021
well.... not sure that telephone interview with Skadden could have gone any worse if I'd been planning on bombing it
long pauses, topics I clearly knew nothing about, and then not thinking out loud at all - urgh!! and just zero response or indication from the interviewer either way, I would have been laughing if I were him 🤣

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    well.... not sure that telephone interview with Skadden could have gone any worse if I'd been planning on bombing it
    long pauses, topics I clearly knew nothing about, and then not thinking out loud at all - urgh!! and just zero response or indication from the interviewer either way, I would have been laughing if I were him 🤣
    I am sorry about that experience that you had - you never know though, your answers may have been fine.

I do not have an interview with skadden (I did not even apply) - but if possible could you mention the topics that they spoke about. I would be interested to know the topics that interviewers ask about this cycle.

[edit] if anyone else had interviews or know about the key topics that one should know about for this cycle - I would immensely appreciate your opinion/advice.

• 🤝
    Reactions: jennifer and AvniD

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Hey everyone, for Irwin Mitchell's VI they dont specify a specific time deadline on the email but do say "The deadline for completing this video interview is 7 calendar days from this email being sent" so confirming that it indeed means the time you received that email notification (e.g 3pm), then deadline would then be 3pm on the 7th day following?

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hey everyone, for Irwin Mitchell's VI they dont specify a specific time deadline on the email but do say "The deadline for completing this video interview is 7 calendar days from this email being sent" so confirming that it indeed means the time you received that email notification (e.g 3pm), then deadline would then be 3pm on the 7th day following?
    I think it's usually the end of the 7th day but would do it a bit early to be safe.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Does anybody know when HSF send out their PFO (for the initial written app stage).. haven't heard anything yet and applied for Spring?
    I applied for the Spring VS one day before the deadline (2nd Dec), passed the online test but got my PFO 2 days before Christmas. I applied and got accepted to their Disputes Open Day in November 2021 and talked about what I learnt on the Open Day and how that drew me to the firm in my Spring VS app - I thought it was one of my strongest applications as well so not really sure why my application went straight to the 'no' pile before Christmas instead of at least getting to the 'maybe' pile and getting invited to AC. So if you haven't heard back for Spring VS yet I think there might still be a chance that you'll get through to AC (just saw someone post very recently about getting invited to a Spring AC) since they have already started sending out PFOs post-application stage for Spring, so no news may still be good news

Reactions: emilyrose99

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    I applied for the Spring VS one day before the deadline (2nd Dec), passed the online test but got my PFO 2 days before Christmas. I applied and got accepted to their Disputes Open Day in November 2021 and talked about what I learnt on the Open Day and how that drew me to the firm in my Spring VS app - I thought it was one of my strongest applications as well so not really sure why my application went straight to the 'no' pile before Christmas instead of at least getting to the 'maybe' pile and getting invited to AC. So if you haven't heard back for Spring VS yet I think there might still be a chance that you'll get through to AC (just saw someone post very recently about getting invited to a Spring AC) since they have already started sending out PFOs post-application stage for Spring, so no news may still be good news
    Thank you!

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hey everyone! I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions about Mayer Brown's Situational Strengths Test and a Verbal Reasoning Test. Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.
    For the situational strengths tests, I researched the key attributes of a trainee and what Mayer Brown looks for specifically, as the strengths tested are usually part of the firm's essential requirements. Also, I would say just think carefully about each scenario and be authentic about how you would actually react in each scenario, rather than trying to guess what’s expected.

For the verbal reasoning tests, sometimes reading out loud helps as is actually taking time to understand the points/questions rather than just guessing.

- Hope that helps

• 🏆
    Reactions: Adrian_S

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

It was brought to our attention last night that a member tried to sell details of an AC to another member. A huge thank you to the member who reported this to us.

I just wanted to remind everyone to stay vigilant during the busy application season. We are very strict on this because it threatens to target our most vulnerable users. You can read more about our terms and rules here.

If you ever find something that doesn't seem right in a private message, please always feel free to message the Community Managers (@AvniD @Jessica Booker, @George Maxwell or @James Carrabino) or myself. You can also use the report function in a private message (this works on desktop, rather than mobile):

1641899375223.png

Best wishes,

Jaysen

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    For the situational strengths tests, I researched the key attributes of a trainee and what Mayer Brown looks for specifically, as the strengths tested are usually part of the firm's essential requirements. Also, I would say just think carefully about each scenario and be authentic about how you would actually react in each scenario, rather than trying to guess what’s expected.

For the verbal reasoning tests, sometimes reading out loud helps as is actually taking time to understand the points/questions rather than just guessing.

- Hope that helps
    Thank you so so much! This is incredibly helpful!

Reactions: Aga123+
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.