TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narwhal

Nov 26, 2022
Hi everyone. For Penningtons Manches Cooper's VS question, they ask 'Please use this opportunity to tell us about yourself, your reasons for applying to Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP and why they resonate with you personally. Your cover letter should be a professionally laid out business document and should include the following: why you are interested in a career in law, why you are interested in PMC, the office location you are applying for and why, skills and experience you could bring to the firm in a trainee lawyer position'.

I was wondering (i) 'your cover letter should be a professionally laid out business document' - does this mean I have to include my address and the address for the office I'm applying to at the top? (ii) 'your reasons for applying to Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP and why they resonate with you' - does this mean I have to refer to them in the plural every time I mention them? Like, would I get marked down for saying PMC scores highly in x instead of PMC score highly in x or writing PMC is instead of are?

I'd really appreciate any input!

WN20

Star Member
Nov 30, 2021
How would one answer "explain your least favourite module" without coming across too negative? Should I still mention what I nonetheless enjoyed about that module even if that wasn't explicitly asked? Would appreciate any advice - thanks!! :)

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    How would one answer "explain your least favourite module" without coming across too negative? Should I still mention what I nonetheless enjoyed about that module even if that wasn't explicitly asked? Would appreciate any advice - thanks!! :)
    I would give an overview of the module, explain what I didn't like about it, then explain what I learnt in it (including transferrable skills) as a way to show it wasn't a waste of time.

Reactions: sxw517

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Hi everyone. For Penningtons Manches Cooper's VS question, they ask 'Please use this opportunity to tell us about yourself, your reasons for applying to Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP and why they resonate with you personally. Your cover letter should be a professionally laid out business document and should include the following: why you are interested in a career in law, why you are interested in PMC, the office location you are applying for and why, skills and experience you could bring to the firm in a trainee lawyer position'.

I was wondering (i) 'your cover letter should be a professionally laid out business document' - does this mean I have to include my address and the address for the office I'm applying to at the top? (ii) 'your reasons for applying to Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP and why they resonate with you' - does this mean I have to refer to them in the plural every time I mention them? Like, would I get marked down for saying PMC scores highly in x instead of PMC score highly in x or writing PMC is instead of are?

I'd really appreciate any input!
    I might be misunderstanding, but on your second point, I read 'they' as referring to your reasons for applying rather than to the firm itself, so I don't think you have to refer to the firm in plural? On the first point, I haven't applied to PMC myself, but I'd assume that's what they mean by professionally laid out business document. If it doesn't say on the application form, it often says on lawcareers.net who exactly the letter should be addressed to.

Narwhal

Nov 26, 2022
    Thanks so much, gw9!
    I might be misunderstanding, but on your second point, I read 'they' as referring to your reasons for applying rather than to the firm itself, so I don't think you have to refer to the firm in plural? On the first point, I haven't applied to PMC myself, but I'd assume that's what they mean by professionally laid out business document. If it doesn't say on the application form, it often says on lawcareers.net who exactly the letter should be addressed to.

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Thanks so much, gw9!
    I just had a look at the form and realised it wants you to type in a text box rather than upload a document, so I'm actually not sure how you would format it with two addresses at the top. It might be worth getting a second opinion on that one - I'd like to know too! Maybe they just mean start with 'Dear X' and end with 'yours sincerely'? Seems strange to ask for a 'professionally laid out business document' in a text box.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it worth applying to DLA Piper in the third week of December (deadline is 30th December), since they have rolling applications? Or would slots be mostly full by then?
    Yes, there is still month to go. Most people won’t apply until the last week.

DTB

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    Hi all, I am wondering whether it is true if you can re-use the why you and why law part of cover letters for all firms that do a cover letter - only changing the why this firm part. Has anyone had success in this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I am wondering whether it is true if you can re-use the why you and why law part of cover letters for all firms that do a cover letter - only changing the why this firm part. Has anyone had success in this?
    I personally think these sections at least need to be refined slightly, especially the why you part.

Firms will value different things in trainees and there a standardised approach may not demonstrate the specific skills or qualities an individual firm is looking for.

Reactions: DTB and Adrian_S
    Hi! Reed Smith's app form has this question: What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?

Does anyone have any ideas what sort of things we are supposed to mention here? Something like AI, or macro commercial issues like inflation?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.