TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Still waiting for Sidley to communicate me the outcome of my interview (guaranteed it’s a PFO as they have given out many offers and the scheme starts in less than 3 weeks). It’s been 2 weeks now since my interview and have sent an email yesterday with no response. I find it really disrespectful tbh as I have taken the time to apply and attend the interview, while working full time. To top it up, they rescheduled my interview to a different day at very short notice - another a sign of disrespect. This just confirms to me the negative vibe I got from them. I was expecting a better treatment from such a top firm, and I am quite disappointed ☹️

(Apologies for the rant)
Update on this: I actually called them last Thursday to try and get an update on this since the scheme starts in 2 weeks (lol). The member of the graduate recruitment I had been dealing with has left the firm, and they are still waiting on the partner's feedback. I am in disbelief tbh

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
On the Baker McKenzie application form, candidates are asked to "outline details/responsibilities if required" of "work experience or career events" they have attended. Given that I've not attended any open days, there's more than enough space for me to write about careers events that I've attended whilst briefly mentioning one or two things that I've learnt from them - do you think it's likely that the firm would be okay with me going into that level of detail, or - conversely - do you think that I should discuss these career events a lot more concisely (even if it means that quite a lot of the word count doesn't get utilised)?

@Jessica Booker

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
Would anyone be able to kindly let me know what the best recruitment agencies are for entry-level paralegal roles at silver circle, MC, or US firms? And how I would go about reaching out to some of them to apply for these roles if they have open vacancies?

Thanks in advance

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Would anyone be able to kindly let me know what the best recruitment agencies are for entry-level paralegal roles at silver circle, MC, or US firms? And how I would go about reaching out to some of them to apply for these roles if they have open vacancies?

Thanks in advance
Good luck dealing with them... They are useless most of the time and will ignore you until you have gained some paralegal experience first. However, I had a good experience with DA Solutions/Law Support Group. Nick was really helpful and helped me secure a role in a few weeks. They may be able to get you a very short-term role (like a 2-week position) and you can then use that experience to secure a better role. Ryder Reid were alright too, although they failed to communicate the result of a final interview to me and had to find out the negative outcome by seeing the ad reposted online.

I would suggest sending messages to recruiters on LinkedIn highlighting your background/skills and what type of role you are looking for, location, area of law etc. This is how I was put in contact with the Law Support Group and secured my first role. I wish I had known/done it sooner as it would have saved me wasting so much time!

Last edited:

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
Good luck dealing with them... They are useless most of the time and will ignore you until you have gained some paralegal experience first. However, I had a good experience with DA Solutions/Law Support Group. Nick was really helpful and helped me secure a role in a few weeks. They may be able to get you a very short-term role (like a 2-week position) and you can then use that experience to secure a better role. Ryder Reid were alright too, although they failed to communicate the result of a final interview to me and had to find out the negative outcome by seeing the ad reposted online.

I would suggest sending messages to recruiters on LinkedIn highlighting your background/skills and what type of role you are looking for, location, area of law etc. This is how I was put in contact with the Law Support Group and secured my first role. I wish I had it sooner as it would have saved me wasting so much time!
Thanks for taking the time to write this, I will definitely attempt to take your advice on board

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and bibss

Pal22

Jul 9, 2021
Hi everyone

Does anyone know how to tackle this question for the Allen & Overy vacation scheme application, 'Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success?'.

Not sure if this is a why commercial law question or why A&O especially because the word count is only 250.

Thanks!

@Jessica Booker

Last edited:

strugglinglawstudent99

Junior Lawyer
Jul 19, 2022
I went to an international school overseas which didn't conduct any secondary school or equivalent exams (GCSE, etc.) - so I just don't have any age 14-16 exam grades to use for application forms. Can I just put that in the "additional information" section under education? Might it prejudice my application?

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Is Mayer Brown’s test timed at all? And if there is no time limit, does anyone know if the time is taken into account, e.g. would I be penalised if I took a break partway through? (Winter flu is very much a thing at the moment!)
Hey, I took it last week - not sure if the SJT part is timed but I know the verbal reasoning part is. However, between each section you can take a break (I think they time each section rather than the whole thing) and when you begin the test, it does mention taking breaks so I think this should be fine!

aspiringlawyerr

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 7, 2022

I would suggest sending messages to recruiters on LinkedIn highlighting your background/skills and what type of role you are looking for, location, area of law etc. This is how I was put in contact with the Law Support Group and secured my first role. I wish I had it sooner as it would have saved me wasting so much time!

This is so helpful! Did you find most roles wanted you to have completed the LPC? Thanks

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
This is so helpful! Did you find most roles wanted you to have completed the LPC? Thanks
Yes, I found the majority of roles required the LPC or previous experience. I didn’t have any of them, so it was quite a challenging and frustrating experience. If you feel brave enough, it may be even better to write a post on LinkedIn to say you are looking for a role etc.

Reactions: aspiringlawyerr

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Yes, I found the majority of roles required the LPC or previous experience. I didn’t have any of them, so it was quite a challenging and frustrating experience. If you feel brave enough, it may be even better to write a post on LinkedIn to say you are looking for a role etc.
I've had the same experience with these recruiters. Even with prior Paralegal experience, it's more in public/regulatory law than straight commercial law so I always find it hard getting put forward for roles that I'm definitely qualified for!

Reactions: aspiringlawyerr

di

Star Member
Sep 27, 2022
Did anyone get through to the Taylor Wessing online games assessment but still hasn't got the link to complete the test? I'm kind of panicking
Yes, I received an email saying I've passed the app stage and that I would be sent an email with instructions and link to the test on Friday (25 November) but haven't been sent anything. I will just email them tomorrow to ask.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Hey, I took it last week - not sure if the SJT part is timed but I know the verbal reasoning part is. However, between each section you can take a break (I think they time each section rather than the whole thing) and when you begin the test, it does mention taking breaks so I think this should be fine!
Thank you! Is the time limit fairly tight?

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Is it okay to mention Baker McKenzie as Bakers or BM in the app? (this is only to avoid going over the word limit)

I was thinking to write something like this;

I am applying to Baker McKenzie ('Bakers') because ....(x)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.