Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
can confirm they send as they go. Was rejected a couple weeks after applying.

thats really helpful to know. can i ask whether you’d applied for their winter/spring/summer scheme? applied for their spring scheme on 10 October so feeling a bit nervous about hearing back

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
thats really helpful to know. can i ask whether you’d applied for their winter/spring/summer scheme? applied for their spring scheme on 10 October so feeling a bit nervous about hearing back
Winter VC - applied september 20th heard back 12th october with a PFO. :)

Edit: I believe this demonstrates they reject as they go because I was rejected before the deadline.

• 🤝
Reactions: Dib31 and Adrian_S

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Winter VC - applied september 20th heard back 12th october with a PFO. :)

Edit: I believe this demonstrates they reject as they go because I was rejected before the deadline.

Thank you! I’m sorry about the PFO

I’ll just sit here listening to ABBA Gold, desperately waiting to hear back from firms then

• 🤝
Reactions: BM99

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Thank you! I’m sorry about the PFO

I’ll just sit here listening to ABBA Gold, desperately waiting to hear back from firms
hahahhahahah thanks, I've finally learned how to deal with them. To be honest, there does not seem to be much consistency at all. Sometimes I feel like an application is really strong and I get rejected from a less competitive firm, but sometimes I feel as it is a very weak app then get an interview. Seems rather arbitrary so I am not too concerned anymore!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! For Q1 of A&O Summer VS (Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success? (250 words)), should we connect the key skills and qualities back to our work experience? Any help would be appreciated :)

@Jessica Booker

You don’t need to connect it to any experience, the word count doesn’t really allow you to do this adequately.

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
PFO HSF Spring VI. They cited the fact I did not meet the benchmark for the test.

Funny thing is, I was a "reasonable high performer" in all four categories.

Can someone assure me this isnt a mistake?
I got the same thing, but applied for the summer scheme instead. I think where I fell down is the verbal reasoning section since they don’t include that bit in the feedback report. Don’t worry about it; I did the practice test so many times and it was clear that the way the verbal reasoning section is structured in terms of logic just doesn’t make sense.

With the Watson Glaser, I consistently score 80%+ so my reasoning clearly isn’t an issue. I think such tests generally aren’t good indicators because it doesn’t test any form of intelligence, just how well you can learn what sort of answers they expect. It’s quite funny because law firms like to go on about how they encourage diversity of thought for the best solutions but then only assess one way of thinking as part of their recruitment process.

Last edited:

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
I got the same thing, but applied for the summer scheme instead. I think where I fell down is the verbal reasoning section since they don’t include that bit in the feedback report. Don’t worry about it; I did the practice test so many times and it was clear that the way the verbal reasoning section is structured in terms of logic just doesn’t make sense.

With the Watson Glaser, I consistently score 80%+ so my reasoning clearly isn’t an issue. I think such tests generally aren’t good indicators because it doesn’t test any form of intelligence, just how well you can learn what sort of answers they expect. It’s quite funny because law firms like to go on about how they encourage diversity of thought for the best solutions but then only assess one way of thinking as part of their recruitment process.
Hi there sorry to hear about the rejection. May I ask when did you apply and how can you receive the report?

Reactions: stone’sthrow

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
Hi there sorry to hear about the rejection. May I ask when did you apply and how can you receive the report?
I applied a week ago on the deadline (2nd December), received the link to the test on the 5th and completed it that evening, then received a PFO in the morning citing that my rejection was due to not reaching the benchmark. The PFO had the feedback report in it.

aniraz

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    I wrote my Vinson & Elkins cover letter to be one page, however I just went onto the portal to start submitting and it says maximum 2 pages for the cover letter, does this mean they are expecting it to be 2 pages?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.