TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    They might not have enough candidates or resources to do one solely in one location and so have combined them.
    Do you think this makes it eassier for candidates as they are not in competition with each other as they are with people applying to other offices so candidates are less nervous and candidates will perform better in the AC.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Still waiting to hear the outcome of my app 😭
    My portal updated on 17 November and still haven’t heard back. Seen some ppl on here whose portals updated on 5 December who received AC invite

WHATEVER, I’m going to celebrate my inevitable rejection with like 3 mimosas and that awful (or so I’ve heard) Harry and Meghan special🍹

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Response from DLA Piper:

Thank you for your email and for checking with us.

Manchester is where we are hosting all of our Assessment Centres regardless of the selected office location for the Summer Internship. I can confirm we have London down as your selected office location.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2021
    Hey everyone!
    I need help on how to relate my answer to application questions to what I describe in the work experience section. Can I assume that the recruiter will read my answers having my experiences in mind?

More concretely: I have 250 words to explain why the firm and why I would be a good fit, which is not a lot.

I would like to make the argument that the firm works in small teams and that I have [ X ] strength that allows me to do well in such setting. In one of my work experience, I describe how I was working in an office alone with two partners, which meant [ X Y Z ].

In the application question section, let's say that I simply say:

I look forward to working in a small team at the firm because this is something that has helped me grow in my past experiences, and then I move on to talking about my personal strength that make me good at that.

Can I assume that the recruiter will refer to the description of the work experience where I give details and describe in what way it was beneficial? Or should I not make such a jump? Maybe mentioning the name of the employer is sufficient to refer the reader to more details in the work section?

If the answer is no, how do you suggest making use of the space in the work section to gain space in the application questions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How do people typically approach applications with questions that have no word limit? @Jessica Booker and @AvniD would love to know your thoughts :)
    It does depend on what kind of questions they are.

However, I try to look at the application as a whole, and try to think how long it would take someone to read it from start to finish, and use my common sense to think what might be worthwhile cutting down if lots of questions/sections are long.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad and Adrian_S
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.