Status
Not open for further replies.

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
Is the application for an open day the same as a VS?
I think so? For the open day it was the basic form (just personal details, no long-answer questions) and the test - think this was WG mixed with situational judgement, but I did it a while ago now so can't quite remember. Then after the open day they sent us a fast-track link where we had to submit personal details again but not the test.

Reactions: bhbuygu

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022
    I think so? For the open day it was the basic form (just personal details, no long-answer questions) and the test - think this was WG mixed with situational judgement, but I did it a while ago now so can't quite remember. Then after the open day they sent us a fast-track link where we had to submit personal details again but not the test.
    Thanks for the response! Wish I had known this before aha

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Congratulations, securing 5 interviews sounds like a dream right now aha. It’s also my first cycle. I’ve sent 10 apps (1 pfo, 9 waiting for responses) and the waiting game right now is quite stressful :/
    obviously idk your grades/extra curriculars but it deffo improves. I started doing apps in aug/sep and first 3 were a PFO i believe. I think each application improves because you reword certain sentences better and get more of a grip about what they are asking for

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022
    obviously idk your grades/extra curriculars but it deffo improves. I started doing apps in aug/sep and first 3 were a PFO i believe. I think each application improves because you reword certain sentences better and get more of a grip about what they are asking for
    My first app was the pfo and I can certainly see how I’ve improved. Thanks for the response and best of luck!

Reactions: yasmars

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yep, received an invitation for the December open day, but wasn't able to make it. And they've offered me the option to attend in February instead.
    I would personally go if you can.

It's not that it gives you any automatic progression to assessments for a VS/TC, but I think attending can really help your application stand out from the crowd.

If they like you from the open day, they will be looking out for your application and I think when it comes to marginal decisions attending can help it swing it to a positive outcome.

Plus you'll completely win them over in person anyway!

• Love
    Reactions: Adrian_S

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    Gowling AC!! If anyone has any advice or insights or opinions about it, please feel free to share it. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated! I can’t believe it!! I’ve applied to this firm for 3 years now and only now have I received an AC! Thank you so much TCLA Community, I couldn’t have done it without all of you guys

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    I would personally go if you can.

It's not that it gives you any automatic progression to assessments for a VS/TC, but I think attending can really help your application stand out from the crowd.

If they like you from the open day, they will be looking out for your application and I think when it comes to marginal decisions attending can help it swing it to a positive outcome.

Plus you'll completely win them over in person anyway!

Thank you so much, Jess. It's advice like this that really helps, when the entire process can seem somewhat opaque. You're an absolute angel!

Reactions: bhbuygu

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Look how rattled I've got you for stating facts lmao.

With this weak mentality getting rattled by pixels on a screen for stating facts you don't want hear, idk how you'll hack working in a law firm.
    Yeah what a surprise right when we have assessments and exams. Absolute joke.

I'm not sure if you've clocked yet, but the purpose of TCLA is to support aspiring lawyers. This forum helps support this goal by helping us share our experiences. By being deliberately antagonistic you are disrupting this goal and making people feel stupid for sharing their vulnerabilities on a platform they previously felt safe enough to do this on. It would be great if you could stop doing this as you are derailing useful conversations.

If you really want to be a "Future Six Figure Earner" at a law firm, you are going to need to figure out what teamwork is and how to develop your interpersonal skills. Jessica wrote a fantastic post on this term which you can find here. If you need any help with this, I would be happy for you to DM me. Good luck with the remainder of your applications!

P.S. Please remember that Grad Rec are humans too and don't necessarily have control over when assessment dates are and if they fall into exam season (although I know from experience how annoying it is).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.