TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
when doing VIs are the firms looking on you to expand on your application or just basically reuse it for some questions? for example I have a Kirkland VI and I wrote why kirkland in the cove rletter and one of the app questions, and one of the VI questions will likely be some form of why kirkland? how am I meant to answer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have been busy working today, so haven’t picked up the posts this afternoon, but please can we keep this civil and just drop this tone around “brudda”, whether that be something you chose to use language wise in the forums, or whether you then try to use it back at people who have.

I haven’t had to formally warn anyone on this forum for a very long time. So long, in fact that I am having to remind myself how to do this (there is an actual process we undertake to record warning).

I get that tensions run high at this time of year, but please stay civil to one another. And if someone is rude/passive aggressive, use the downvote system to show your disapproval and just don’t respond if you only are saying something that lowers your tone to that what’s already been said (or worse).

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    How many applications are you guys planning to send out overall?
    I think it'll differ based on each person's current stage in the process and priorities. This is my 2nd cycle and I'm only applying to 8-10 firms this time. I over-applied to firms last year and realised I didn't actually want some firms I'd applied to, and I'd only applied for the sake of getting a certain number of applications through. So I'm restricting my applications and only applying to firms I actually want this time. I've realised this gives me enough time to send in quality applications, instead of rushing through them.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: TheBestSolicitorInTheWorld

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    I think it'll differ based on each person's current stage in the process and priorities. This is my 2nd cycle and I'm only applying to 8-10 applications this time. I over-applied to firms last year and realised I didn't actually want some firms I'd applied to, and I'd only applied for the sake of getting a certain number of applications through. So I'm restricting my applications and only applying to firms I actually want this time. I've realised this gives me enough time to send in quality applications, instead of rushing through them.
    I agree with this approach, I am also limiting myself to 8 live applications. I overapplied in the last application cycle and received interview and vac scheme offers at firms that didn't really align with my career ambitions. It was a good learning experience and gave me more interesting interview examples but lesson learnt!

LJ

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    I completed the WG only a week or so ago but have not received any update since then. Presuming a PFO considering the AC dates are next week. On to the next!🥲
    If it helps when I selected my dates for the AC there was anywhere from 10th Jan through to around 15th Feb. I also applied very early in the window so they may just be getting round to later applications etc. Don’t be too disheartened, its not over until its over!

Jul 23, 2022
    I have been busy working today, so haven’t picked up the posts this afternoon, but please can we keep this civil and just drop this tone around “brudda”, whether that be something you chose to use language wise in the forums, or whether you then try to use it back at people who have.

I haven’t had to formally warn anyone on this forum for a very long time. So long, in fact that I am having to remind myself how to do this (there is an actual process we undertake to record warning).

I get that tensions run high at this time of year, but please stay civil to one another. And if someone is rude/passive aggressive, use the downvote system to show your disapproval and just don’t respond if you only are saying something that lowers your tone to that what’s already been said (or worse).
    Thank you Jessica. I don’t appreciate the apparent sarcastic use of the language that I use.
    Classist imo but I’m not going to call out anyone and I’ll leave it at that as I want peace on this forum.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica. I don’t appreciate the apparent sarcastic use of the language that I use.
    Classist imo but I’m not going to call out anyone and I’ll leave it at that as I want peace on this forum.
    My post was to describe the conversation as a whole, not just the responses to you, and I would encourage you to reflect on your active role in that unnecessary conversation if you have an issue with it.

DimpledHopper

Star Member
    Sep 20, 2021
    Does anyone have some tips please on Why Commercial Law and not IB or Consulting? @Jessica Booker any help would be really appreciated!
    You could focus on the different skills that these careers engage? I have friends in IB and consulting and from hearing about what they do, the work is very different. Often you'll see commercial lawyers, IBs and consultants working together on the same matters (e.g. M&A deal), but their roles in a transaction are different. This is a generalisation but in terms of M&A, IBs usually do modelling to value a company, consultants advise on whether that acquisition is a good business strategy and lawyers help execute the strategy. Feel free to PM me because I was asked this exact question at an interview!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.