TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
Is asking for the possibility to move scheme dates unprofessional and/or risky?
I don't think it is unprofessional at all, I'm sure they understand people's availability etc changes from application to being offered. The worst they can say is no - I doubt it would negatively any decision about you. I've asked to change from VS to TC for two firms, one was more than happy to and one said they couldn't but gave me the option of continuing the app or withdrawing.

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Samir_O

Legendary Member
Oct 5, 2021
also I received the Mayer Brown job simulation invite at 7pm today and the email states "you have until Friday 3 March to submit your responses". Do you guys think this means I have until Friday 3 March 7pm to submit the test?

LJ

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
What questions would you guys recommend asking in an interview? I need suggestions please xx
I personally think the best approach is to ask something based on whats been said in your interview. For example, you said you trained at X firm, what is it about Y firm that drew you to working here? I've always done that and I think it comes across well because it shows you are a good listener/ can engage with them. Doesnt hurt to have a back-up though in case you completely blank! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No - the worst that will happen is say no.

Hundreds of people do this each year. Grad Recruitment are very used to having these conversations and will already have a set process in dealing with such requests.

SuccessfulSolicitor

Distinguished Member
Feb 24, 2023
Think about the unique combination of factors you have as a candidate that make you different from others and sell that in an elevator pitch style.
Thanks I’m prepping for my W&C AC and since it’s a 45 min interview, I don’t want to spend too long on this question cause I’m sure there’s a lot to get through.

I’m just gonna briefly mention my retail experience, my internships and my position on my uni’s cheer team and hopefully wrap it up in 2 minutes. Im sure they’ll ask for more detail later so I’m just going to condense it.

• 🏆
Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks I’m prepping for my W&C AC and since it’s a 45 min interview, I don’t want to spend too long on this question cause I’m sure there’s a lot to get through.

I’m just gonna briefly mention my retail experience, my internships and my position on my uni’s cheer team and hopefully wrap it up in 2 minutes. Im sure they’ll ask for more detail later so I’m just going to condense it.
Try to be specific with these points or identify the more unique elements about them - what has your retail experience given you, what has been the main takeaways/learning from your internships, what qualities do you think the cheer team has developed in you (and then try to subtly align this to what the firm is looking for in its trainees).

Reactions: SuccessfulSolicitor

letsgetlitt23

Feb 28, 2023
If it is a case study format, the following practice assessments might give you an indication of how the format might play out:

If it is more of a proof-reading and drafting exercise then these posts will be helpful:

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-discussion-thread-2021-22-1.4199/post-117185

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....cheme-applications-discussion.2732/post-76323
@Jessica Booker, this amazing! Thank you so much!

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
I think that some firms are def willing to see if they can move your scheme dates so I think there is no harm in asking- a firm asked me to change dates twice because other people asked to move dates and they had to readjust so ask and see what happens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.