TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
Which firm is this for?

I did a technical interview for a firm and for them technical questions meant SJT type questions like "You are a trainee and x happens what would you do?"
thanks, SJT style sounds a little more manageable. it's travers- ethical questions aside, I've heard it can be quite technical/ commercial (ofc I have no idea if that's true and how it will actually be, Idk what to expect but I've heard it's unpredictable so just trying my best to prepare 😭)

Sarah T

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 9, 2020
    thanks, SJT style sounds a little more manageable. it's travers- ethical questions aside, I've heard it can be quite technical/ commercial (ofc I have no idea if that's true and how it will actually be, Idk what to expect but I've heard it's unpredictable so just trying my best to prepare 😭)
    My interview wasn't with Travers - hopefully someone who has previously interviewed there can give you steer, is there anything in the interview experiences section on Travers?

I wouldn't just assume that technical only means SJT - as different firms have different terms for question types.

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    My interview wasn't with Travers - hopefully someone who has previously interviewed there can give you steer, is there anything in the interview experiences section on Travers?

I wouldn't just assume that technical only means SJT - as different firms have different terms for question types.
    thanks anyway, I appreciate it! yep, that's where I read abt the potential technical questions haha and agreed

aslanoel

• Feb 13, 2023
    I remember being asked how I would invest X amount of client money if I had the opportunity. But, if you do get stuck, explain your thoughts clearly to the interviewer and justify your conclusions. They will help/lead you if they think you are going off-course.

Reactions: rosec

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Has anyone ever used Cheekylittlecareers' 1 on 1 career advice services? Can you please PM me if you have? I'm thinking of making an investment on a session but it's very costly so would like some past advice
    Honestly, it was not the best service, I feel like aspiring solicitors need someone who is very much involved in the recruitment process. Honestly, I found Jessica calls tremendously helpful!

• Love
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Not2late22

Standard Member
    Nov 7, 2022
    Ran out of time on a written exercise so the last sentence of the second question doesn’t make sense as I was mid editing :( feel like I’ve screwed everything up at this hurdle and am so annoyed at myself

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    Ran out of time on a written exercise so the last sentence of the second question doesn’t make sense as I was mid editing :( feel like I’ve screwed everything up at this hurdle and am so annoyed at myself
    Don't worry about it, your assessment day would be a lot more important.

I'm assuming this is for Freshfields? Are you doing a direct TC application?

WN20

Star Member
    Nov 30, 2021
    Hey, was wondering if someone could help me with an app - how would I go about answering the following two questions and making sure I’m not repeating myself as they seem to be asking the same thing? Any advice would be appreciated!

(1) Why are you interested in a mentor scheme with firm A?
    (2) What do you hope to gain from the mentor scheme with firm A?

Noodles

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    Hey, was wondering if someone could help me with an app - how would I go about answering the following two questions and making sure I’m not repeating myself as they seem to be asking the same thing? Any advice would be appreciated!

(1) Why are you interested in a mentor scheme with firm A?
    (2) What do you hope to gain from the mentor scheme with firm A?
    I'd say the first q is more motivation driven; what drew you to the firm/law/the scheme and why, whereas the second q is more why you would do well on that scheme and how you would utilise that opportunity (perhaps justified by your previous experience).

Reactions: WN20
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.