Status
Not open for further replies.

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Does anyone have recommendations for documentaries/videos to watch for business understanding? Not looking for any particular concepts - but more to understand how a business practically runs, and something that could help to make practical suggestions regarding what future steps a company/business can take. Thanks :)

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Does anyone have recommendations for documentaries/videos to watch for business understanding? Not looking for any particular concepts - but more to understand how a business practically runs, and something that could help to make practical suggestions regarding what future steps a company/business can take. Thanks :)
    The Office - David Brent's business acumen is unrivalled, you'll pick up one hell of a lot, very quickly!

D

Deleted member 24543

Hi everyone! I have a question - it's a long shot

I couldn't complete my Baker McKenzie interview within the stipulated time frame due to urgent family matters that surfaced, and also realised I cannot do the summer vacation scheme for this reason as I would like to prioritise and set aside some time in dealing with these matters. However, I do not want to completely scrap or throw away such a huge chance; to me passing the WG test and having my application deemed worthy by the graduate recruitment in Bakers is such a huge thing especially as an international student.

I was wondering if it's worth a shot at all asking them to consider my application for the Direct TC route instead (especially since the applications for the 2025 tc are still open till April?) I know it's a really long shot but I'm really keen on working with this firm, Bakers has been a dream firm for me since day dot. @Jessica Booker from the grad rec POV is this unusual or worse still, completely impossible? Is it worth a shot if I thoroughly explain my situation - and might there be (even if it's a slim one) a chance at all the this request will succeed?

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2022
    The anatomy of a deal by A&O:

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

I couldn't complete my Baker McKenzie interview within the stipulated time frame due to urgent family matters that surfaced, and also realised I cannot do the summer vacation scheme for this reason as I would like to prioritise and set aside some time in dealing with these matters. However, I do not want to completely scrap or throw away such a huge chance; to me passing the WG test and having my application deemed worthy by the graduate recruitment in Bakers is such a huge thing especially as an international student.

I was wondering if it's worth a shot at all asking them to consider my application for the Direct TC route instead (especially since the applications for the 2025 tc are still open till April?) I know it's a really long shot but I'm really keen on working with this firm, Bakers has been a dream firm for me since day dot. @Jessica Booker from the grad rec POV is this unusual or worse still, completely impossible? Is it worth a shot if I thoroughly explain my situation - and might there be (even if it's a slim one) a chance at all the this request will succeed?
    Not an expert, but a question to ask is whether you told them the reasons as to why you couldn’t complete your interview. If you said that you could no longer complete a summer VS (and that you had urgent family matters to attend to so couldn’t complete an interview then anyway), I’d say you have a chance. If you just blanked the invite, it might be a different story. IIRC, I actually saw someone on last year’s thread who changed their BM VS offer to a TC offer, so given you’re earlier in the process it might actually be more likely.

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Does anyone have any good resources on the Credit Suisse sale, particularly on the tier 1 bonds and the effects on the bond market / banking shares in the future (I have read the stuff in the FT and I’m not looking for basic explainer type articles)

Last edited:

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Does anyone have any good resources on the SVB collapse, particularly on the tier 1 bonds and the effects on the bond market / banking shares in the future (I have read the stuff in the FT and I’m not looking for basic explainer type articles)

• Love
    Reactions: AlexJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There is no harm in asking. The worst they can do/say is no, and then you are no different a position than you are in now.

Reactions: SuccessfulSolicitor

Denver

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 20, 2020
    If an application asks 'Please list other work experience or career events you have attended. 500 words max' would they want me to make a list or written paragraphs/full sentences? The word count is so high it's confusing me. (this is for bakers)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.