TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    @Jessica Booker

From your experience, what do you think are the major differentiators in regard to those who receive a TC and those who do not after completing a VS. Especially in firms where more than 60% or more of the VS candidates convert the schemes.

Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

From your experience, what do you think are the major differentiators in regard to those who receive a TC and those who do not after completing a VS. Especially in firms where more than 60% or more of the VS candidates convert the schemes.

Thank you in advance!
    - General abilities to do tasks such as drafting and research
    - Attitude - positive/enthusiastic/proactive
    - "fit" - whether they have a cultural alignment to the firm whether in terms of character/personality or motivations
    - Doing well in assessments/conversion interviews (in exactly the same way as external candidates will need to for a direct TC process).

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Does anyone when AC generally are for direct TC applications? For firms like Eversheds & DWF that have a deadline for end of June & Addleshaw etc that are end of July, is it usually the next month or right before the next cycle begins?

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    Anyone who applied for the Links Summer/Spring/ Winter VS in the last cycle and doesn't mind answering a few questions?
    1) Since they have the online CAPP assessment, does that mean there will be no "why commercial law" or "why links" questions?
    2) If yes, it means that we can't really prep for capp anyway, so do we just have to focus on preparing for WG and start the application?
    3) If not, what were the questions you were asked?
    4) correct me if I'm wrong: start application>add contextual details(do they ask for specific work ex.?)>give the capp assessment>give WG within 5 days> wait to hear back after the deadline, right?

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Anyone who applied for the Links Summer/Spring/ Winter VS in the last cycle and doesn't mind answering a few questions?
    1) Since they have the online CAPP assessment, does that mean there will be no "why commercial law" or "why links" questions?
    2) If yes, it means that we can't really prep for capp anyway, so do we just have to focus on preparing for WG and start the application?
    4) correct me if I'm wrong: start application>add contextual details(do they ask for specific work ex.?)>give the capp assessment>give WG within 5 days> wait to hear back after the deadline, right?
    I applied for the VS via the open day route - not sure if it’ll be the same next year, but everyone who attended an open day was guaranteed an AC. Assuming the application is the same though!

1) Yes.
    2) The only other thing to prep is knowing what the firm is looking for (e.g. the agile mindset framework) for the CAPP questions.
    4) I think they only ask for work experience details if you’re applying for the direct TC route, but can’t remember for sure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone when AC generally are for direct TC applications? For firms like Eversheds & DWF that have a deadline for end of June & Addleshaw etc that are end of July, is it usually the next month or right before the next cycle begins?
    Can be anytime from July through to late September.

Reactions: DKLaw

LJ

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022

1) Yeah no long questions.
    2) You can still prep for the Capp - look at their values etc.
    4) You do capp/ WG at pretty much the same time

Reactions: Samridhi Jain

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    I applied for the VS via the open day route - not sure if it’ll be the same next year, but everyone who attended an open day was guaranteed an AC. Assuming the application is the same though!

1) Yes.
    2) The only other thing to prep is knowing what the firm is looking for (e.g. the agile mindset framework) for the CAPP questions.
    4) I think they only ask for work experience details if you’re applying for the direct TC route, but can’t remember for sure.
    Thank you! Appreciate this. Any other advice and resources that I can look up for CAPP? I'm aware of the thread within TCLA, agile framework on their website but I'd love more context on the type of questions, any particular resources I can check out to practice their tests/ where can I learn more about CAPP from.

I'm not applying via the direct TC route, it's the usual winter vac scheme, and haven't attended an open day - I'm an international student.

Another Q: As an international student (I wasn't able to join open days) but I have spoken to lots of people at the firm online, am currently doing a virtual internship, and have attended a few events (online) by the firm. Is there anything else I can do/ take up to strengthen my application?

I've also seen a bunch of comments about how someone has scored really high on the WG and has still been rejected. Does this mean that CAPP is given more weightage? Plus, I'm aware that CAPP measures you on the agile mindset but I'd love to get more insight into the questions that were asked and some context around scores and the feedback you received - that is if you're open to sharing! That would be great!

And if anyone has any specific tips for the Links application - I would really appreciate that! :)

Last edited:

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Thank you! Appreciate this. Any other advice and resources that I can look up for CAPP? I'm aware of the thread within TCLA, agile framework on their website but I'd love more context on the type of questions, any particular resources I can check out to practice their tests/ where can I learn more about CAPP from.

I'm not applying via the direct TC route, it's the usual winter vac scheme, and haven't attended an open day - I'm an international student.

Another Q: As an international student (I wasn't able to join open days) but I have spoken to lots of people at the firm online, am currently doing a virtual internship, and have attended a few events (online) by the firm. Is there anything else I can do/ take up to strengthen my application?

I've also seen a bunch of comments about how someone has scored really high on the WG and has still been rejected. Does this mean that CAPP is given more weightage? Plus, I'm aware that CAPP measures you on the agile mindset but I'd love to get more insight into the questions that were asked and some context around scores and the feedback you received - that is if you're open to sharing! That would be great!

And if anyone has any specific tips for the Links application - I would really appreciate that! :)
    I don't remember any specific questions - I did the test around last September, sorry! But I'm pretty sure it's similar to a standard SJT test, which you can find examples of online, but don't really need much practice. You just need to answer with what you'd do in a given situation, bearing in mind what the firm values.

I'm also not sure about the weighting. After the CAPP test you get a report which tells you some of your highest scoring attributes and your lowest scoring attribute (my highest were motivation and resilience, and my lowest was commercial thinking). You can then ask for your WG score - I was in the 85th percentile if that helps.

LJ

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022

I'm not sure about specific resources but firms often send through guidance on how to complete the test when you get the link. They are straightforward assessments which you don't really need to practice.

I don't know the weightings but they definitely consider both. I got 95th centile for the WG but didn't get progressed to the next stage. I would probably give two bits of advice:

- The normal advice is to answer how you feel and don't try and second guess what they want you to say. I don't really agree with this - I think it is best to try and tailor your answers to their values. I did the first approach on many capp tests and didn't progress, when I started doing the second approach I started passing them.
    - Be consistent with your answers. They typically ask the same question in multiple ways so try and answer them as consistently as possible. For example if you say you like to work in a team in one question, dont say you like being left to work by yourself in another.

I don't necessarily think you are disadvantaged by not attending open days etc. I didn't attend any or have any interactions with firms prior to applying but still got multiple VS offers. Just try and demonstrate your motivation and interest in the firm throughout the application process. I honestly think one of the most underrated ways to strengthen an application is through demonstrating work experience, even if that is working in a shop. This gives you loads to talk about in interviews etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.