Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey all, would appreciate help on this Q.

I'm applying for both the Mishcon Open Day (Nov) and their Spring Vac Scheme. I know they review apps on a rolling basis, but was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to (if I'm successful with the Open Day app) only apply for the VS after attending the Open Day - given that this would strengthen my application? Or would it be "too late" to apply by then?

Thanks in advance!
When is the open day and when is the deadline for the Spring scheme?

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
Hi, just had a question if anyone could help - i applied for the Travers Smith direct TC last cycle (cycle which just ended) and got a PFO. I feel like because I applied so late, I am unsure if my cover letter was looked at as they quickly filled the remainder of spaces for the TC. I am now looking to apply for the VS. I feel that my cover letter that I wrote was quite strong and I have little that I need to change. So my question is - how much of my cover letter (if any, at all) is necessary to change. Should I rewrite the entire CL? Do grad rec usually have an issue with submitting a similar cover letter?

• 🤝
Reactions: samni

t.loader

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
Hi All,
I had a specific question surrounding Open Days. Last year I applied to an Open Day at a great firm and didn't realise I had been accepted as the email went into my spam box. By the time I realised, I emailed the grad recruitment team and they replied stating that it was unfortunately too late to add me to the event. If I were to apply to the same firm again for its Open Day, would it be worth substantially changing my application since it was technically accepted the last time? Furthermore, would it be worth reaching out to the grad recruitment team directly to explain the situation that occured last year?
Thanks

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
for a question like "Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements," with no word limit, would it be best to structure this in paragraphs with a brief description of each interest / activity, or best to almost bullet point?

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi all,

If I wanted to mention Forage virtual experiences in the work experience section, how should I group them? Is listing all the firm experiences I completed under the Forage heading with a bullet point under each a good idea?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The Open Day is 16th Nov, and VS deadline is 5th Jan!
I would probably apply for the open day first and then if you got the open day apply shortly after it (would still have 4-6 weeks before the deadline). If you didn’t secure the open day, you could the apply in late November which would be very much ahead of the vast majority of applicants.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

If I wanted to mention Forage virtual experiences in the work experience section, how should I group them? Is listing all the firm experiences I completed under the Forage heading with a bullet point under each a good idea?
Technically, Forage dates you shouldn’t list them as work experience (although plenty of people do).

But grouping them as you have mentioned sounds sensible if you do include them in your work experience section.

Reactions: Crystal86
S

selfcarequeenzzz1

These are two of the questions that I need to answer for a vacation scheme application:

1. Please give details of any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility and any other noteworthy achievements that will support your application. (250 words)
2. Please give details of any interests/hobbies you have outside of university/work. (250 words)

The first question is pretty common on multiple vacation scheme forms. I usually take the approach of detailing the activity/achievement and what I learnt/developed from it (tailoring it to the firm with skills like teamwork, problem-solving, time management etc.). Should I take a similar approach for the second question as well? Or is a more informal approach better?

I would love to have any insight on this!
What firm is this for?

Future_lawyer_somewhere

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2019
I haven’t applied to A&O before before but i’m on the final stages of writing my app.

How do people know if you have passed the STJ test? (Does it tell you or do you get a score etc?) if so what is the general pass mark or benchmark to aim above?

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    I haven’t applied to A&O before before but i’m on the final stages of writing my app.

How do people know if you have passed the STJ test? (Does it tell you or do you get a score etc?) if so what is the general pass mark or benchmark to aim above?
    There is no general pass mark to aim for. You get an invite for the test soon after you submit the app and have 48 hours to complete the test. Within a few days of completing the test, you get an email telling you whether you have passed the SJT and consequently if your app would be reviewed further.

lmurph

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2022
    Hi, looking at the HSF winter VS and they ask for skills, qualities and attributes you would bring to the role.

I've gathered that skills would be work-related (organisation, teamwork) and attributes relate to personality/character (creative, resilient) but what about qualities? I'm not sure what there is left to cover ?

Thanks!

time2work

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 7, 2020
    Hi, in cover letters to law firms (for winter vac schemes) should I mention the name of the firm that I completed a summer vac scheme with or should I write 'City law firm'?

mk32

Jun 8, 2022
    For Mishcon, I'm not too sure where to include my open day/insight scheme experience. The application only allows for 4 employment experiences, and because I'm a career changer I have 4 substantive work experiences that fill those slots. There is an Activities/Achievements section - could it possibly fit in there? Any advice would be super helpful!

oldafstudent

Premium Member
    Mar 4, 2022
    Hey everyone,

I have a section where I need to discuss positions of responsibility, etc. Is it ok to refer back to something in my cover letter? For example, "in addition to the XXXXX partnership I discussed in my cover letter, I took the initiative on..." The reason why I ask is because it was 2 tasks with the same business.

It seems redundant to discuss this one particular thing again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, in cover letters to law firms (for winter vac schemes) should I mention the name of the firm that I completed a summer vac scheme with or should I write 'City law firm'?

Definitely put the name in my opinion. The vagueness of “city law firm” can be a little off putting, just where effectively you are making the recruiter have to do more work to find out which firm you are talking about (eg making them have to go back to your work experience section to check).

Reactions: time2work

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone,

I have a section where I need to discuss positions of responsibility, etc. Is it ok to refer back to something in my cover letter? For example, "in addition to the XXXXX partnership I discussed in my cover letter, I took the initiative on..." The reason why I ask is because it was 2 tasks with the same business.

It seems redundant to discuss this one particular thing again.
    That is fine - you can put it as “Further to the XXXX partnership mentioned earlier” for conciseness if that helps!

Reactions: oldafstudent
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.