TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    Slaughter and May require a 'good 2.1' for their Vacation Scheme application. I am a career changer with Distinction in my previous two degrees but currently stand at 63.5% in my LLB degree. Is there any point in applying?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Slaughter and May require a 'good 2.1' for their Vacation Scheme application. I am a career changer with Distinction in my previous two degrees but currently stand at 63.5% in my LLB degree. Is there any point in applying?
    I personally would if you think you have strength elsewhere in your application too (eg if you think your previous career might help you excel in certain evidence they are looking for).

Reactions: UnTCSilVousPlait

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On the same note - I am from a non-UK University, and have a 49/100 in one Contracts module and 65/100 in the second Contracts module (there are two Contracts modules in my University). However, my cumulative percentage of 40+ subjects in University is around 69%. As I know Slaughters is supposed to be particularly stringent with academics - does the lower Contract grade mean I should not apply? Or does the overall decent percentage make it better?
    I think one low module is fine, even if it is a contract module.

• 🤝
    Reactions: born&raised

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Hi all, I'm back for this recruitment cycle after taking a long break over the summer :) Debating whether to apply for Linklaters Winter VS or direct TC. From previous years, I think they want 3/4 weeks of legal work experience for TC, is that right? And, in general, what would count as legal work experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, is this question referring to specific practice areas or could I talk about commercial law generally?

What area(s) of law are you interested in learning more about, and why?
    I don’t think it necessarily needs to be practice areas (it could be sectors for instance) but I do think it needs to be more specific than commercial law in its broad sense.

Reactions: Jedward87

a06k01

• Jun 9, 2022
    Hello everyone! So i am currently applying to Shearman & Sterling for the WVS and this is my first application. And the question is
    "As one of only a handful of global elite law firms, how do you think Shearman & Sterling LLP maintains its competitive advantage?"
    and the 2nd one asks about "explain your interest in pursuing a legal career at a city law firm, and your interest in Shearman & Sterling LLP"

How should i tackle this question? I feel like the first and second question might overlap in terms of why this firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello everyone! So i am currently applying to Shearman & Sterling for the WVS and this is my first application. And the question is
    "As one of only a handful of global elite law firms, how do you think Shearman & Sterling LLP maintains its competitive advantage?"
    and the 2nd one asks about "explain your interest in pursuing a legal career at a city law firm, and your interest in Shearman & Sterling LLP"

How should i tackle this question? I feel like the first and second question might overlap in terms of why this firm?
    There might be some occasional cross over but I would expect them to be substantially different answers, namely where one is about your motivations and the other is about the firm’s strategy.

Even if your motivations are the same themes as what makes the firm keep its competitive advantage, how that then applies to you as a trainee/why it is relevant to you as a trainee, will be different to why the firm pursues that strategy.

Reactions: a06k01

a06k01

• Jun 9, 2022
    There might be some occasional cross over but I would expect them to be substantially different answers, namely where one is about your motivations and the other is about the firm’s strategy.

Even if your motivations are the same themes as what makes the firm keep its competitive advantage, how that then applies to you as a trainee/why it is relevant to you as a trainee, will be different to why the firm pursues that strategy.
    Thank you! That makes more sense.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    Hiya!

I am struggling a bit with the following question:

What attracts you to a Trainee Solicitor role at Bird & Bird? What is motivating you to pursue a career at Bird & Bird?

Am I right in thinking that the question is asking us to differentiate between a trainee solicitor role and an NQ role at the firm? I am particularly struggling to differentiate between the two parts of the question because for me the main attraction of the firm is its focus practice areas (which I can justify through my previous experiences). However, if I do that, the answers to both parts overlap massively because my reasons for wanting to train at the firm and staying at the firm beyond that are pretty much the same.

Last edited:
    Reactions: faisalzainal

aakriti_3377

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 22, 2022
    Hi, thanks for this great thread. Has Kirkland and Ellis cancelled their 2023 summer vacation scheme? Their website has information pertaining to apply for summer 2022 but I don't see anything for 2023 as yet.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, thanks for this great thread. Has Kirkland and Ellis cancelled their 2023 summer vacation scheme? Their website has information pertaining to apply for summer 2022 but I don't see anything for 2023 as yet.
    Highly unlikely - I suspect they just haven’t opened applications yet.

Reactions: aakriti_3377

imdeded

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2022
    Anyone know what happens if you fail to convert vs to tc for 2 years in a row? Worst case scenario but interested on how GR would perceive you going for a third cycle after that

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Anyone know what happens if you fail to convert vs to tc for 2 years in a row? Worst case scenario but interested on how GR would perceive you going for a third cycle after that
    Do you mean with the same firm or with different firms?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.