TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

stone’sthrow

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    Congrats!! Very happy for you! When did they ask for your reference if you don’t mind me asking? And do you know the turnaround after it was sent to the interview invite? Thanks :) Good luck with your interview!
    Does the Jones day reference have to be academic or can it be from work? For those who’ve had interview offers, was this for the winter scheme? Thank you

Last edited:

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hi! Applying for a Summer VS and one of the questions is:
    Please outline your most significant achievement to date and how this was achieved? The example you choose can be from within or outside your academic career. (250 words max) *

I've written out my answer but it is only 205 words, and I don't know what else to include to make it a stronger answer. Any help would be much appreciated!

This is what I've got so far:

My most significant achievement is persiting with mooting despite working alone and losing my first moot - in my first year of university, I took part in the mooting society. Due to a last minute mix up, I had to do the competition alone. Instead of dropping out when given this news, I carried on because I was committed to becoming a skilled mooter. This left me with double the work and less than a week to prepare, all while juggling academics, a part-time job and a social life. Despite working incredibly hard, I lost the first round. Initially, I was distraught and humiliated, and considered leaving at this point. However, instead, I thought about my goals and the bigger picture: I was extremely determined to improve I also genuinely enjoyed mooting. I therefore quickly picked myself up, evaluated my performance through self-reflection, contacted the judge on my case to receive more feedback, and became even more determined than before - working alone and losing the first moot gave me the determination to challenge expectations. I stayed positive, ambitious and committed. As a result, I won every subsequent moot that year, and even went on to achieve a First in my assessed contract law moot.
    I've been working on my own answers to questions like this and found that thoroughly applying the STAR method can help strengthen an answer and give the necessary details that can be easily missed. Here are a few tips:

Situation - maybe add more detail to the moot itself: Was it university-wide? solely for the first years?
    Task: specify what tasks you did to complete the moot: drafting, researching, reading, hours of study etc
    Action: You could be more specific - what feedback did you receive, and how was the feedback beneficial in identifying/mitigating weakness in your performance/work? Did you take it onboard?
    Result: Finally, you could specify the number of moots you won that year and end with a reflection - what did this situation teach you? (The importance of feedback? How to persevere? etc).

Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Maria d'Orey

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    I've been working on my own answers to questions like this and found that thoroughly applying the STAR method can help strengthen an answer and give the necessary details that can be easily missed. Here are a few tips:

Situation - maybe add more detail to the moot itself: Was it university-wide? solely for the first years?
    Task: specify what tasks you did to complete the moot: drafting, researching, reading, hours of study etc
    Action: You could be more specific - what feedback did you receive, and how was the feedback beneficial in identifying/mitigating weakness in your performance/work? Did you take it onboard?
    Result: Finally, you could specify the number of moots you won that year and end with a reflection - what did this situation teach you? (The importance of feedback? How to persevere? etc).

Hope this helps :)
    Thank you so much!

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    Hi so I had a question about in application cover letters. The Gibson Dunn application asks for one which needs to be pasted in a space on their online form. Do I need to begin with the usual “I am XYZ applying for a summer vacation scheme at Gibson Dunn” or could I simply start with the more substantive parts

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
    Nov 9, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the Orrick 2023 Vacation Scheme questions were? I have been having issues accessing my apply4law account (have emailed them about this) but just wanted to look at the questions so I could start drafting my answers.

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kelly

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.