TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

samni

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2020
How do you identify a firm's competitors?
I think it's easiest to split it by things like location (no. offices, office strengths), practice areas (check Chambers for Tier 1 rankings in each area the firm is top ranked in), and then maybe initiatives (if they're involved heavily in legal-tech etc). I've always answered breaking it down into these sections as I think it makes it clearer in what respects the other firms are considered competitors rather than naming the firms first

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
I think it's easiest to split it by things like location (no. offices, office strengths), practice areas (check Chambers for Tier 1 rankings in each area the firm is top ranked in), and then maybe initiatives (if they're involved heavily in legal-tech etc). I've always answered breaking it down into these sections as I think it makes it clearer in what respects the other firms are considered competitors rather than naming the firms first
Thanks a lot! Very helpful stuff 😊

Reactions: samni

Seabird15

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 15, 2021
does anyone know if for Cleary's VS application, whether the academic transcript they are requesting that you upload is for your A-Level results or University? I've managed to get my uni transcript but I can't get hold of my A-Level ones, since I was never given them in digital format only paper format ( and I don't know where they are :s ). Thanks in advance

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
For the CMS question about opportunities/challenges facing one of its key sectors, which sectors do these include? Chambers students says the firm focuses on five key sectors, but I can’t find any narrowed down list on its website so not sure which one to focus on.

HarmonyN

Star Member
Sep 6, 2022
For the CMS question about opportunities/challenges facing one of its key sectors, which sectors do these include? Chambers students says the firm focuses on five key sectors, but I can’t find any narrowed down list on its website so not sure which one to focus on.
Looking at it's website it stated that there are 7 sectors.
Not sure if this helps. I did although choose a sector from the list on the site.

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretraineecity

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Looking at it's website it stated that there are 7 sectors.
Not sure if this helps. I did although choose a sector from the list on the site.
Thank you! I think it’s just the word ‘key’ that’s been throwing me off🤣

Reactions: HarmonyN

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think it’s seven sectors, but here they are:

Attachments

• 78D68867-C411-446B-B7EA-FBE242EF608D.jpeg
    78D68867-C411-446B-B7EA-FBE242EF608D.jpeg
    731.1 KB · Views: 41
Hi! Sorry if this is a stupid question - What practice areas/teams in a law firm are involved at different stages of setting up/operating an energy power plant? For example - Project Finance for raising funds, regulatory for the licenses and approvals, etc. Thanks! :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! Sorry if this is a stupid question - What practice areas/teams in a law firm are involved at different stages of setting up/operating an energy power plant? For example - Project Finance for raising funds, regulatory for the licenses and approvals, etc. Thanks! :D
I'd expect real estate and tax to be involved given land will need to be bought or leased and that there are likely to be some processes that can make the investment more tax efficient, especially if it is across jurisdictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.