TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    I would like to learn more about private equity. Can anyone recommend any resources?
    Hi! I got a VS at Weil and they asked me about my understanding of PE and such, and the resource I used was TCLA's: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/what-is-private-equity-a-guide-for-future-lawyers-2/

I think it does a good job about describing the nuances within PE. Another good article is Jaysen's https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/what-is-private-equity-a-complete-guide-for-law-students/

If not, you can go online and just look up "what is PE". But the two above should be more than enough for any interview. Let me know if you have any questions (PE or Weil).

• Love
    Reactions: Aga123+ and bibss

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    @Jessica Booker @AvniD
    Hi! Hope you can lend me some advice. A law firm is asking for a Cover letter and "a copy of your CV (including a full classification and percentage breakdown of all academic results)".

1. Does this mean I have to include all my grades within my CV, or do I merge my CV with my university's E transcript?
    2. What do they mean by classification? I'm currently in my penultimate year and have not been given a rank within my class (I assume that's what they mean by classificaiton)

Hope you can help and have a great day!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Hi! I got a VS at Weil and they asked me about my understanding of PE and such, and the resource I used was TCLA's: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/what-is-private-equity-a-guide-for-future-lawyers-2/

I think it does a good job about describing the nuances within PE. Another good article is Jaysen's https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/what-is-private-equity-a-complete-guide-for-law-students/

If not, you can go online and just look up "what is PE". But the two above should be more than enough for any interview. Let me know if you have any questions (PE or Weil).
    Thank you so much!!

Donuttime

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 17, 2021
    I am a bit confused and was wondering if anyone could help me out on this.
    How do you answer tell me about a recent news story and how it relates to our clients? do you use PESTLE or SWOT analysis when breaking down your answer?

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    I am a bit confused and was wondering if anyone could help me out on this.
    How do you answer tell me about a recent news story and how it relates to our clients? do you use PESTLE or SWOT analysis when breaking down your answer?

I wouldn't use PESTLE or SWOT because presumably you don't have the word count to write a thorough one? I would rather focus on picking a news story, giving a little bit of background information of that story and then saying how it would affect the firm's clients both in a positive and negative way and then saying how that law firm would be able to assist their clients. This is just my initial thoughts - I could be wrong.

@Jessica Booker what do you think?

Reactions: Donuttime

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I would like to learn more about private equity. Can anyone recommend any resources?
    Broadly? Or is there a particular aspect you would like to hone in on? Also, what level of knowledge do you already have?

PM me and I can link you to some great resources regarding PE!

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    @Jessica Booker @AvniD
    Hi! Hope you can lend me some advice. A law firm is asking for a Cover letter and "a copy of your CV (including a full classification and percentage breakdown of all academic results)".

1. Does this mean I have to include all my grades within my CV, or do I merge my CV with my university's E transcript?
    2. What do they mean by classification? I'm currently in my penultimate year and have not been given a rank within my class (I assume that's what they mean by classificaiton)

Hope you can help and have a great day!
    If this is S&C I just sent three separate PDF documents.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I wouldn't use PESTLE or SWOT because presumably you don't have the word count to write a thorough one? I would rather focus on picking a news story, giving a little bit of background information of that story and then saying how it would affect the firm's clients both in a positive and negative way and then saying how that law firm would be able to assist their clients. This is just my initial thoughts - I could be wrong.

@Jessica Booker what do you think?
    Yes, I agree, you can't do a full SWOT or PESTLE analysis, although doing a very brief one that prioritises the main themes might help you to structure your answer accordingly.

It doesn't have to be SWOT or PESTLE (but could be either at the same time) - there is no one way in approaching these questions, you really have to take a format that works for you and the story you identify.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.