TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzzzz

Standard Member
Nov 2, 2022
How do firms go through the VI, AC etc process? Do they process applications which came in first or invite to AC those that are strongest and then leave the weaker ones to decide for later? Just wondering what it means when VI and AC invites are trickling in a bit inconsistently...

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Dec 28, 2021
How do firms go through the VI, AC etc process? Do they process applications which came in first or invite to AC those that are strongest and then leave the weaker ones to decide for later? Just wondering what it means when VI and AC invites are trickling in a bit inconsistently...

I think every firm has their own method of filtering candidates so it would be difficult to say generally how they go about the filtering process. Hopefully you’ll hear something soon! 🤞

Last edited:
Reactions: AvniD and buzzzzz

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jun 7, 2022
This is where it gets a little bit complicated, as it depends on the situation.

To understand when or when not to capitalise a job title, this article is helpful; Capitalization of Job Titles: When Is It Necessary? (yourdictionary.com)

Something like "banking paralegal" would be capitalised if in a heading on a work experience entry, or if you were using it in a signature/sign off, but wouldn't be if you were putting it in a sentence e.g., "I worked as a banking paralegal".

Similarly with module titles, I would expect it to be capitalised if you are adding it as a module result in an application or CV - e.g.,

First-year modules: Contract (60%), Tort (50%), Legal Skills (70%), Land (60%)

But that if you were writing it in a sentence, you wouldn't capitalise it unless it was in a title. For instance:

I enjoyed studying competition law ✅
I won the Competition Law Award in 2022 ✅

I must stress a lot of firms don't stick to these rules though (even in their own application forms). So see how the firm writes job titles like partner, trainee, associate in the body text (e.g. not headings/summaries) and follow their lead.
This makes sense, thank you!!

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Following on from the above discussion how could I abbreviate Slaughter and May or is it not possible?
I can't replace the 'and' with an asterisk as that is how it is spelt and equally using 'Slaughters' looks unprofessional and colloquialized.
Any tips? @Jessica Booker

It is one of the few firms where I don’t think you should shorten it, unfortunately.

Hi @KirksUS I attended a presentation re cover letters and CVs with Slaughter and May last year and would concur with what @Jessica Booker said. The partner speaking at the presentation said that these things may seem minor, but they are pet peeves that grad rec and partners (when they read your cover letter if you are progressed to interview) don't like to see.

In your cover letter do not abbreviate the firm's name to "Slaughters", "SM" or "Slaughter & May". To be safe just write "Slaughter and May" in full every time. Also he mentioned don't refer to the firm as a "company"!!

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and Lord Sumption

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Dear all,
I got my VI for W&C WVS on the 31st of October. They didn't get back to me, and some candidates that sent their VI after me got an outcome.
Any explanation please as I am getting stressed. Should I send an email to GR or wait. Does that mean a PFO or still have a chance ?
Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear all,
I got my VI for W&C WVS on the 31st of October. They didn't get back to me, and some candidates that sent their VI after me got an outcome.
Any explanation please as I am getting stressed. Should I send an email to GR or wait. Does that mean a PFO or still have a chance ?
Thanks.
There could be a whole host of reasons for this, unfortunately. Sometimes they put candidates on hold, sometimes they rank them on some basis and prioritise inviting people on that ranking. It could just be down to luck - maybe the person allocate your video interview just hasn't reviewed their's yet while other people in different batches have been allocated to other reviewers who have managed to review their work.

As it has only been two weeks since you received the video interview (although it will be more important when you completed it rather than when it was sent), I would generally advise not chasing up so soon. However, on this occasion, it is for a winter scheme that will only be a matter of weeks away, and therefore a brief email asking when you may hear back in regards to a decision on your application would not be seen as unnormal or unexpected. The only time I would advise against this is if you only submitted your video interview answer in the last 5 working days. Then I would wait until next week or so to follow up.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adrian_S

Lord Sumption

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 11, 2022
    Hi @KirksUS I attended a presentation re cover letters and CVs with Slaughter and May last year and would concur with what @Jessica Booker said. The partner speaking at the presentation said that these things may seem minor, but they are pet peeves that grad rec and partners (when they read your cover letter if you are progressed to interview) don't like to see.

In your cover letter do not abbreviate the firm's name to "Slaughters", "SM" or "Slaughter & May". To be safe just write "Slaughter and May" in full every time. Also he mentioned don't refer to the firm as a "company"!!
    Thank you both for that information! I can understand how it looks from a graduate recruiter's point of view when you abbreviate the firm's name to something that isn't really recognised, for example Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom can be abbreviated to 'Skadden' or Skadden Arps'.

:)

Reactions: average_jo123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.