TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTB

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    I completed it last year. They asked two questions which were Why Kirkland? and What skills do you need to be a good commercial lawyer? You had 15 seconds to prepare for each and 90 seconds to answer. Hope this helps!
    Hi @KBLAW as a follow up would you have advice on VI? It is my first one. I am particularly unsure about how to fit in everything in 'why firm' - do we need to link it back to ourselves or just give reasons?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @KBLAW as a follow up would you have advice on VI? It is my first one. I am particularly unsure about how to fit in everything in 'why firm' - do we need to link it back to ourselves or just give reasons?
    I wouldn't try to fit in everything - focus on no more than three of the most prominent points from your perspective.

You will need to link it back to you though, it's important to focus on why you have come to those conclusions.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    In your view, what steps should a law firm take to put client relationships at the forefront of its strategy? (200 words)

This is one of the questions on the CMS VS form. Is the question actually as general as it sounds (what would be best for any law firm) or would tying my answer to CMS be better?

I am thinking of taking the more general approach because I am apprehensive about unnaturally forcing CMS into the answer when the question does not specifically ask for it. Any thoughts on this would be lovely!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In your view, what steps should a law firm take to put client relationships at the forefront of its strategy? (200 words)

This is one of the questions on the CMS VS form. Is the question actually as general as it sounds (what would be best for any law firm) or would tying my answer to CMS be better?

I am thinking of taking the more general approach because I am apprehensive about unnaturally forcing CMS into the answer when the question does not specifically ask for it. Any thoughts on this would be lovely!
    I recommend taking the general approach to this question - e.g., what will be best for many law firms.

Reactions: UnTCSilVousPlait

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

Taking a general approach makes sense- you're absolutely right, making it about CMS is not inly unnatural but also takes your answer away in a different direction to where your question was originally pointing you to.

I'd focus the answer on what makes a great client relationship (responsiveness, longevity, serving needs pointedly etc.) and how a law firm can prioritise this as a part of their strategy.

Reactions: UnTCSilVousPlait

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Does anyone have any experience on how to approach Kirkland Ellis' work experience section. The application form asks for a CV and has a separate work section. Is the work section supposed to be copy and paste from the CV or we should aim to include different information?

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    Taking a general approach makes sense- you're absolutely right, making it about CMS is not inly unnatural but also takes your answer away in a different direction to where your question was originally pointing you to.

I'd focus the answer on what makes a great client relationship (responsiveness, longevity, serving needs pointedly etc.) and how a law firm can prioritise this as a part of their strategy.
    Thank you so much, Avni!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Has anyone had an assessment centre with Accutrainee? I don't really know how to approach the attention to detail task + the commercial awareness exercise! If anyone has insight into these kind of tasks anyway could you dm me please :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Has anyone had an assessment centre with Accutrainee? I don't really know how to approach the attention to detail task + the commercial awareness exercise! If anyone has insight into these kind of tasks anyway could you dm me please :)
    Hi @Ambs123- with the attention to detail task, I'm guessing it will be a document checking exercise where you have to identify and correct errors. My best tip for this is to ensure you're reading everything line by line and keeping an eye on grammar, cross-referencing, obvious legal error (misspelling a piece of legislation or including an unrelated one).

As for the commercial awareness exercise, I have a feeling this may be modelled on a classic case study. Have you checked out this article by any chance? It's got some great tips on how you can approach such case studies!

• Love
    Reactions: Ambs123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.