TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Hi guys - I have an upcoming vac scheme. Any resources you'd recommend to become more familiar with work I'd come across during the scheme, or just any tips to get the TC? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    anyone knows the conversion rate for winter vacation schemes? specifically for jones day and simmons & simmons?
    I personally wouldn't get too caught up on this. It can fluctuate from scheme to scheme even with the same firm, especially once you factor in people declining offers too.

Reactions: jnvkkbkjbkZXBJZX

mk32

Jun 8, 2022
    Does anyone have ideas for good questions to ask at the end of an interview (or while attending an Open Day)? Usually I'd try to ask something specific to the firm/the interviewer, but I'd really love a list of general backup questions in case I get anxious and blank out. 😅

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hi, I was wondering if it is needed to list my third year modules in the undergraduate education page on the application, even though I am currently in my third year and have not gotten a grade for those modules.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I was wondering if it is needed to list my third year modules in the undergraduate education page on the application, even though I am currently in my third year and have not gotten a grade for those modules.
    I would generally include them, especially if it shows you are interested in commercial modules. It is fine that you haven’t got the grades yet.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I had a question about mentioning deals in an application. Is it better to mention a deal that I heard a trainee talk about at a law fair, or a deal I picked up from their website? I don't have many details about the law fair deal, except the countries involved in the deal, but I feel like mentioning the law fair deal might show more involvement with the firm as compared to the website deal? Does anyone have any advice?
    It really doesn't matter where you have heard it - what is important is why you are stating that deal. What is its relevancy to you and your application/motivations?

You don't really have to describe the deal (this isn't particularly relevant and you are only telling the firm something it already knows), so it is only really about linking back the detail of the deal that is relevant to your motivations/aspirations that is needed.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have an open-day offer from Latham.. I was wondering if attending an open day with a firm gives you an advantage while making a vac scheme app for the same firm.
    I think it gives you knowledge that can help with your application and that if you come across well at the open day they will look out for your application.

But you'll still need a competitive VS application at the same time. You won't be given some form of pass to get through to the next stage because you attended the open day (unless the firm explicitly states that's how their open days work).

09tata

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 28, 2020
    Any tips on passing Ashurts Online Tests?

Managed to reach the benchmark for HSF tests but my application then got weeded out. Feel like my ashurst application was a lot stronger, so really don't want to bomb the online test!
    Hello, does HSF still have the identifying shapes/pattern element included in the test

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.