TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
PFO after PFO...

Feeling a bit lost now. I had 2 vac schemes this year that I failed to convert, and every application I do this cycle is coming back with rejection. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I somewhat suspect that it may be because I'm approaching my 30s and firms want younger candidates, but that's conjecture.

Such a grind.

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I am a bit confused how to interpret the following question:
Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke.

I was wondering would I need to talk about my motivations for pursuing a career in commercial law first then discuss why I chose Osborne Clarke.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
PFO after PFO...

Feeling a bit lost now. I had 2 vac schemes this year that I failed to convert, and every application I do this cycle is coming back with rejection. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong. I somewhat suspect that it may be because I'm approaching my 30s and firms want younger candidates, but that's conjecture.

Such a grind.

This could be super obvious, and I apologise if this is the case, but have you been using your vac scheme experience to your advantage in the apps? I was getting rejected a fair bit, but I’ve been receiving fewer rejections since making the most of my experiences from my vs last year, eg. to back up points for why law or why this firm.

Keep remembering, all we need is one TC offer :) you've had vs offers before, and you will again.

Also, have you considered direct tc applications? I am not an expert, but given you have vs experience, and you're a bit older, they might work more in your favour?

• ℹ️
Reactions: PirateShip, Uvaia and Adrian_S

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
@Jessica Booker Hello Jessica, thank you for your help with my previous questions. I am once again seeking some advice, please:

The question states: 1672346564989.png

I chatted with this firm's trainees at a university careers event, and their insights helped solidify my interest in a particular practice area. Is it recommended to mention the trainees' names specifically in the answer (to show credibility to GradRec, as they are training at the firm I am applying to), or should I just refer to them anonymously?

Thank you for any insights!

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
Hi do we get sent a link automatically after submitting our application? Because I did not get one yet
Hi, I was told during the Insight event that GradRec emails the WG link to everyone after the application, but they do this once a week so it can take up to 10 days to be sent. I received mine the day after submitting my application though, so I'm sure you'll get it soon!

Reactions: a06k01

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
This could be super obvious, and I apologise if this is the case, but have you been using your vac scheme experience to your advantage in the apps? I was getting rejected a fair bit, but I’ve been receiving fewer rejections since making the most of my experiences from my vs last year, eg. to back up points for why law or why this firm.

Keep remembering, all we need is one TC offer :) you've had vs offers before, and you will again.

Also, have you considered direct tc applications? I am not an expert, but given you have vs experience, and you're a bit older, they might work more in your favour?
I second this. Apply for both vac schemes and TCs to maximise your chances (if not penultimate, depending on the range of firms you want to apply to). I would also recommend applying in batches i.e., winter batch, spring batch and summer batch and checking the deadlines of each set of firms. This way, you still get to tailor your apps and maximise the chances throughout an application cycle. You still have chances for spring and summer!

Also, I get where you're coming from. I was rejected from a summer vac scheme in July and so dusting yourself off from the sting of rejection does take time! Just a potentially controversial suggestion, but I think you could consider applying for firms that offer similar practices but deal with less high-profile work from the firms that offered you vac schemes to ensure you get a fair shot of being short-listed (and also a way to gain a morale boost in the app process). That worked in my favour in the last app cycle for 2 firms in the direct TC process.

Last edited:

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I have recently been offered a Spring VS, this VS clashes with applications I made to other firms prior to receiving the offer.

I contacted the firms I had applied to, asking whether I could switch my applications to Summer VS and none of the 3 responded, but since I have been invited to interview with one for the Spring VS. What should I do, is it common for firms not to change an applicant into another stream (seems bizarre to me) and I don't want to email asking the same thing again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have recently been offered a Spring VS, this VS clashes with applications I made to other firms prior to receiving the offer.

I contacted the firms I had applied to, asking whether I could switch my applications to Summer VS and none of the 3 responded, but since I have been invited to interview with one for the Spring VS. What should I do, is it common for firms not to change an applicant into another stream (seems bizarre to me) and I don't want to email asking the same thing again!
    They may not have just picked up the email.

I would call them in the new year (a lot of people won’t be working tomorrow) and say that you are delighted to be invited for interview but that you have now accepted a Spring scheme elsewhere and would like to be considered for the summer intake instead and see what they say. The worst they can say is no and then you have to work out whether you still want to go ahead with their interview if you would prefer their scheme over the one you have secured, and are happy to renege on the first firm.

Reactions: law23

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    They may not have just picked up the email.

I would call them in the new year (a lot of people won’t be working tomorrow) and say that you are delighted to be invited for interview but that you have now accepted a Spring scheme elsewhere and would like to be considered for the summer intake instead and see what they say. The worst they can say is no and then you have to work out whether you still want to go ahead with their interview if you would prefer their scheme over the one you have secured, and are happy to renege on the first firm.
    Ok, sounds good - I will do this on Tuesday.

Thanks Jessica :)

LJ

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Hey @Jessica Booker, I wonder if you could share your thoughts on this when answering 'Why commercial law' questions.

I have a decade of experience within the policing sphere, which gives me loads of great examples to talk about in questions. However, with the commercial law question, I feel like firms may be thinking why doesn't this person want to work at the bar? When I started the journey of a career change, this was the initial route I wanted but then my research led me to commercial law because the career appeals to me more for so many reasons.

Would explaining this journey and my reasons for deciding commercial law instead of the bar make my application seem authentic? Or should I steer clear from mentioning the bar at all? Interested to know your thoughts!

Reactions: Uvaia
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.