Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
We'll see. It's right at the top of my CV. But would be savage to negate lots of hard-earned work experience and grades, and long-crafted open text answers because of this mistake. I can only pray IA
There are usually a handful of mistakes in a CV - I still find the occasional one in mine every time I review it. At one of the firms I worked for 99% of their trainees (the people they hired) had a mistake on their application.

• Wow
Reactions: law23 and Uvaia

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Prepping for my VI. What would I answer for the question "why are you applying to the Manchester office?" ? I really don't understand why this would be asked, but just in case it is, any insight on what to say would be great! I have absolutely no clue at this point.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Prepping for my VI. What would I answer for the question "why are you applying to the Manchester office?" ? I really don't understand why this would be asked, but just in case it is, any insight on what to say would be great! I have absolutely no clue at this point.
    Because they want to make sure you are committed to that location.

Regional firms have had decades of people trying to game the recruitment system by thinking if they apply to a less popular office, they can be successful in the recruitment process and then try to upgrade the offer to the office location that actually suits them.

Firms want to recruit people who will train, qualify and stay with that office, and asking this question on an application or at a video interview is a good way of weeding out those people who are not committed to working in that location.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Because they want to make sure you are committed to that location.

Regional firms have had decades of people trying to game the recruitment system by thinking if they apply to a less popular office, they can be successful in the recruitment process and then try to upgrade the offer to the office location that actually suits them.

Firms want to recruit people who will train, qualify and stay with that office, and asking this question on an application or at a video interview is a good way of weeding out those people who are not committed to working in that location.
    Oh okay that makes sense thank you so much! My real reasons for applying to the Manchester office are: my family lives relatively near Manchester; it is an interesting city which I have never lived in before, so it would be nice to experience a different city; and it is big and has a lot going on. Would these reasons be okay to say?

Do I need to say something about what the Manchester office actually does? Or is it okay to just discuss location?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Hey! Did you end up applying? I'm on the same boat considering the application deadline is tomorrow.
    Hi! It's definitely not too late - I received a prompt from them yesterday to complete my application, so they're definitely still reviewing! However, I decided to prioritise other applications that will only hire via vacation scheme + close apps soon, and I'm going to apply to them for a direct TC if I have not received an offer before then. Good luck with your application :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Mkhfa and AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.